• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Small claims case - defendant seeking case to be struck out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would I need to change my particulars of case?

Comment

Best avoided if you can. You would have to make an application and pay a £275 fee. The defendant may want to amend their Defence and you could end up liable for their legal costs for doing this

Comment

Yeah exactly my thoughts but what if the court or council then say because my witness statement is different I will have to amend the particulars?

Comment

CPR 44.2 states that costs are at the discretion of the Court
          CPR 27.2 does not exclude 44.2 from the small claims track

Comment

The stress (maybe I shouldn't be stressed but I am) this is causing me makes me think I should just discontinue but I know I have a strong case and can see it through, I'm just terrified either way of getting lumbered with costs.

Comment

Not worth the stress for £400 Your health is more important
              You should speak to the defendant's solicitor and see if you can reach an amicable agreement

Comment

Would an n279 not do the same thing so long as the judge agrees etc

Comment

Originally posted by 1990rider View Post
                  Would an n279 not do the same thing so long as the judge agrees etc
                  You don't need permission from the judge unless there is a court order in place which requires permission from the court to discontinue - see CPR 38.2
                  If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
                  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                  LEGAL DISCLAIMER
                  Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post

You don't need permission from the judge unless there is a court order in place which requires permission from the court to discontinue - see CPR 38.2
                    I mean if the judge agrees.

Or is it better making it an offer.

I'm thinking of something like this:

"I as the Claimant in the case have always been confident that your client was ultimately responsible for neglect of duties in relation to the highway where my vehicle suffered damage owing to a pothole.

I am aware your client was not willing to mediate previously. However, I have a new offer and I wish for you to consider it.

I am happy to drop the case against your client, and agree to not make any future claims relating to the defect in question, on the condition that my discontinuance of the case does not incur any fees from your client.

My circumstances have changed, and I no longer believe it is in my best interests to bring court action against your client.

If you are happy with this offer, please inform me at the earliest available opportunity, otherwise I will continue to assume I am continuing with my claim.

In summary - my offer.

1) I will discontinue the case, dropping my claim against your client.
                    2) I agree to make no further claims about the defect which is the subject of this claim, and will be willing to sign a document to this effect."

I am unemployed, so have no income (I'm a student) but I do have savings, so I think that would rule out any chance of me being able to not have to pay fees if they were imposed.

Comment

I would shorten the last sentence to say only that you are a student without any income.

You should ask for a reply asap

Comment

That last sentence was for here.
                        the thing is is that if I bring that up that almosr sounds like I've admitted I've been vexatious etc , even though I haven't been

Comment

Personally I think you are overthinking this way too much. You have reasonable grounds to bring a claim, and despite your uncovering of further information you still have grounds to pursue the claim or at least part of it. I do not believe you are being vexatious and again I repeat (for the final time) the bar for meeting that criteria or conduct amounting to being unreasonable is high and not easy to achieve. Just because the outcome may be that your claim fails does not automatically equate to you being unreasonable or vexatious. If that were the case, the council would have put you on notice by now that they think your claim is hopeless and nothing more than an attempt to annoy or harass them in return for money.

I simply have nothing further to add on to this thread so I'm going to bow out of this thread because I feel like we are going round in circles and you appear to be nitpicking to the nth degree and several of us have suggested you discontinue if you are feeling uncomfortable or press ahead and give it a shot in court or somehow come to a financial settlement.

I see zero merit in you making the offer as outlined above when you can serve a notice of discontinuance but it's your choice. That letter could be used against you to seek costs for unreasonable conduct if the council so wished to pursue that line of argument.
                          If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
                          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                          LEGAL DISCLAIMER
                          Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                          X