• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Displacement of Limitations Act/ Can I claim punative damages

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Displacement of Limitations Act/ Can I claim punative damages

Dear Sirs,

I am attempting to recover Service Charges which had been unlawfully taken from my over the years. I am attempting to go right back to when my tenancy started, 05 Dec 1995 by arguing that I could not have known about what charges my landlord had added to our contract, (tenancy.)

a) Displacement of Limitations Act - Would this be enough for me to argue that I could not have reasonably of known what Service charges my landlord had unlawfully added to my contract. Please note, a consultation (of which I was not part of) had taken place to add extra charges of which it appeared tenants at my scheme including myself had been paying for 10 years prior to any consultation. Therefore breaching our contract

b) Due to not being supplied with sufficient documents enabling me to calculate sums which had been unlawfully taken over the years. Would I be able to request from the court, punative damages?

I appreciate any assistance you can offer

Kind regards

Stevieb

​​​​​​​
    Subject Access request - Part responded to:

On the 18th of April 2023, I submitted a Subject Access Request (“SARs”) under the General Data Protection Regulations 2018 (“GDPR18”), for information of all Service Charges from the date my tenancy commenced, 04 December 1995, to-date.
    On the 02nd of June, I contacted your client, as I had not heard anything from them regarding my request. I spoke to Sharee, who informed me that my request was not being treated as a SAR’s request, its being treated as a Business-as-Usual Request (“BAU”). Although not specifically a SARS request, Clarion should still follow the guidelines as if it was a SAR’s request. Sharee raised this as an official complaint as she felt that this was unprofessional of her company to have not responded sooner.
    Your client first responded on the 20th July, some three months after my initial request, where I was provide with information regarding Service Charges for the following years: 1996; 1999; 2000; 2011; 2012; 2014; 2015; 2016; 2017; 2018; 2019; 2021; 2022 and 2023. However, 1997; 1998; 2001; 2002; 2003; 2004; 2005; 2006; 2007; 2008; 2009; 2010 and 2020 were not provided. Further to this, there was no evidence of any work being carried out which tenants have been charged for.
    It seems strange how you have gone right back to 1996, yet there are missing years post this date. I would have assumed they would all be together held on your legacy system. With the exception of 2020, surely this would be held on your new systems as it was only three years back.
    As your client has not been able to provide me with the missing years, unable to collate what charges were taken unlawfully.
    Although, Window Cleaning is a charge detailed in our contract, we have not had a Window Cleaner since around 2000.

Your client has left me no alternative than to take this further. I will now be seeking help from the court where I will be requesting Punative damages exceeding what your client has taken from me. The exact amount to be decided by the courts. I will require strict proof, such as invoices, detailing the dates, prices and what work was actually carried out.

1. Consultation of Proposed Service Charges:

Your client has stated that a consultation was sent out on the 05 December 2012.The first time I had laid eyes on this document as when I received documents in 2023, following a Subject Access Request I made. Your Client stated:
    “Consultation ends on the 11th of January 2013. This allows us time to investigate queries raised and make any necessary changes. We will issue final notification for the 2014/2014 year by the end of February 2013. The new charges will be payable from 1 April 2013. You will find enclosed descriptions for the different service charges.”
    1. The consultation was never received by me. I have noticed that it was addressed incorrectly, this maybe the reason. 10 Albert Road belongs to the ‘Society of Jesus.’ Further to this, I was at Flat 8. There is confusion with delivery as the next block to be is block 8 and just past that there are two bungalows, 8a and 8b Albert Road.
    2. I never received any ‘Final Notification’ neither at the time, (end of February) or within my SAR’s request.
    3. I have spoken to long standing tenants who also have never received any consultation and also have been charges service charges unlawfully.
    4. I would like to know why your client allegedly had a consultation. Your client seems to believe that can charge us what they want. It seems, tenants were already been charged for the proposed charges and had been for many years prior to any alleged consultation. This breaches our contract, which states under the heading ‘Tenants Rights’:
    “Right to Consultation:
    The Association will consult the Tenant before making changes in matters of Housing management or Maintenance which are likely to have a substantial effect on the tenant.”
    1. Why was your client, and still continues charging tenants for services of which we have never received?
    2. Further to (d), your client has been charging tenants for provision for resurfacing of Carpark. This work has never been done; the carpark has only ever been patched.
    3. For almost a year there has been damage to the carpark, something had been set alight. Your client has stated thsat this won’t be repaired anytime soon as there is no money in the pot. Where has tenants’ money been going?

You can see clearly that no money has been spent on this carpark in many years, and that it has never been resurfaced post 1993 when my Neighbour moved in.
    1. Refuse Collection:
    Wilcock v The Guinness Partnership Ltd [2019] UKUT 146 (LC).
    Where the occupier's responsibility for service charges in a block of flats was contractually limited to covering the cost of garden maintenance and lighting, the landlord was unable to add the cost of removing rubbish from the car park to the rear of the property to the list of service charges after the tenancy started[10

It's my belief that this would apply to several of the charges which we are not receiving or fall outside of out tenancy agreement. Clarion still charges tenants for these unlawful charges.

Service Charges commencing:
    2nd of April 2012/2013 (dated 14 Feb 2012) - Not received due to being addressed incorrectly.
    07th of April 2013/2014 (dated 05 Dec 2012) - Not received due to being addressed incorrectly.
    Service Element Description: Service Element Description:
    Light and Power Fire & Smoke Detective Equip
    Grounds Maintenance Door Entry Phone
    Window Cleaning TV & Satellite
    General Cleaning Provision for Door Entry
    Refuse Collection Provision for TV Ariel
    Pest Control Provision Com Furnishings/ Coverings
    Provision for Grit Bins Provision for resurfacing of Carpark
    Admin 10% (depreciation offer)
    07th of April 2014/2015 (dated 21st of Feb 2014) - Not received. However, is addressed correctly.
    And,
    06th of April 2015/2016 (dated 23rd Fb 2015) - Not received. However, is addressed correctly.
    Light and Power Fire & Smoke Detective Equip
    Grounds Maintenance Door Entry Phone
    Window Cleaning TV & Satellite
    General Cleaning Provision for Door Entry
    Refuse Collection Provision for TV Ariel
    Pest Control Provision Com Furnishings/ Coverings
    Provision for Grit Bins Provision for resurfacing of Carpark
    Admin 10% (depreciation offer) has been removed but I believe still charged.
    04th of April 2022/2023 (dated 15th of Feb 2022) – Received, disputed.
    Rent Fire Protection
    Administration Fee Grounds Maintenance Contract
    Communal Cleaning Pest Control
    Communal Electricity Provision of other Equipment
    Communal Window Cleaning Refuse Collection
    Door Service Entry Contract Tree Work
    03rd of April 2023/2024 (dated 23 February 2023) – Receive, disputed admin fee.
    Administration Fee Communal Window Cleaning
    Communal Electricity Grounds Maintenance Contract
    I received a refund of charges for the period of 2016-2021. I disputed these charges in February 2022 when I was first made aware of exactly what we were being charged. However, your client still proceeded to charge me for the period of April 2022/2023, before removing these unlawful charges for the period 2023/2024.
    My stance remains unchanged. I wish to claim back any charges which either:
    • Fell outside our contract.
    • Tenants had not received.
    • Charged twice.
    • Where the Courts have deemed charges to be unlawful.
    The only charges I should have been paying are:
    • Gardening
    • External Window Cleaning.
    • Lighting.

Any other charges are deemed unlawful, of which my claim is based upon.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
X