• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

opponents cost if I represent myself

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• opponents cost if I represent myself

I have a claim against a bank which I am thinking of taking to court. A solicitor told me that the bank's costs could be as high as £200,00 if I lost.

If I represent myself are the bank's costs limited in some way or could they still be £200,000 if I ended up having to pay them?
    Tags: None

A bank's legal costs for defending a case are likely to be substantial. I am not aware of any basis on which an unsuccessful party can be ordered to pay less in this respect than one who is represented.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
      A bank's legal costs for defending a case are likely to be substantial. I am not aware of any basis on which an unsuccessful party can be ordered to pay less in this respect than one who is represented.
      Thank you so much for this information

Comment

If the thought of adverse costs makes you disinclined to pursue your claim, limit it to £10,000.
        The case then would most likely be allocated to the small claims track where costs are limited

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
          If the thought of adverse costs makes you disinclined to pursue your claim, limit it to £10,000.
          The case then would most likely be allocated to the small claims track where costs are limited
          the claim is somewhere between £60,000 - £220,000

Comment

In which case getting a good independent evaluation of your case before proceeding could prove to be a good investment.
            Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

In which case getting a good independent evaluation of your case before proceeding could prove to be a good investment.
              I will almost certainly be going down the route of a no-win-no-fee agreement which has been offered, but it can be costly. If there was a way that I could do it myself and have insurance against the bank's costs I would do that. But the only way to get insurance seems to be from a solicitor representing me. Insurance companies won't insure someone representing themselves.

That's why I wanted to find out if the opponent's costs may be limited as my costs will be negligible.

It does not seem fair. But I guess the law often isn't.

Comment

Just because the situation does not suit you, that doesn't mean it is not fair. You appear to be about to make a defendant spend money on lawyers: why should you not pay its costs if you lose the case?

Your costs (what you will pay your lawyers) will only be negligible if you lose. That is the bet your lawyers are taking.

At least if your lawyers are offering a CFA you have the comfort of knowing that they think your case represents a bet worth taking. What success fee have you agreed?

Comment

Just because the situation does not suit you, that doesn't mean it is not fair. You appear to be about to make a defendant spend money on lawyers: why should you not pay its costs if you lose the case?

Your costs (what you will pay your lawyers) will only be negligible if you lose. That is the bet your lawyers are taking.

At least if your lawyers are offering a CFA you have the comfort of knowing that they think your case represents a bet worth taking. What success fee have you agreed?
                  I did not put my comment very well. what I am saying is that my costs will be negligible if I represent myself. they would be £19 per hr tops. so my cost to the opponents would be very little whereas their costs could be massive. may be as higher as £200,000. That is what did not seem fair to me.

Comment

Originally posted by lotusmoon View Post

I did not put my comment very well. what I am saying is that my costs will be negligible if I represent myself. they would be £19 per hr tops. so my cost to the opponents would be very little whereas their costs could be massive. may be as higher as £200,000. That is what did not seem fair to me.
                    I wouldn't be so sure about your costs. complex and high value claims involve lots of hours of preparation, drafting, responding to the other side, evidence gathering and legal research. All of these elements that a law firm would charge for in relation to the case equally applies to yourself. So that £19 per hour rate you talk about could well run into the 1,000s if not 10,000s.

Unfortunately, thats the price you pay for bringing these types of claims, so why don't you protect yourself to some extent and go with a no-win no fee? The only other solution I can think of would be to apply for what is known as a costs capping order, but they are rarely granted because they should only be used in exceptional circumstances, and there is criteria to fulfil so if that criteria is not met, your request for an order fails.

Always remember, costs are at the court's discretion (and they have a wide discretion). If you should lose your case, you can ask the court to take into account your status as an LiP and affordability to repay those costs as a factor but there is no guarantee. Equally, you could seek a detailed assessment of the costs to run that down somewhat but you may only find and after accounting for any duplicate work or excessive time spent on certain matters, the reduction may only amount to £10,000-£20,000 of a £200k bill.

You say its unfair but surely the defendant could also say its also unfair that it has to foot it's own bill even if it is successful simply because you wanted to bring a claim for a relatively significant sum of compensation.
                    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
                    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post

I wouldn't be so sure about your costs. complex and high value claims involve lots of hours of preparation, drafting, responding to the other side, evidence gathering and legal research. All of these elements that a law firm would charge for in relation to the case equally applies to yourself. So that £19 per hour rate you talk about could well run into the 1,000s if not 10,000s.

Unfortunately, thats the price you pay for bringing these types of claims, so why don't you protect yourself to some extent and go with a no-win no fee? The only other solution I can think of would be to apply for what is known as a costs capping order, but they are rarely granted because they should only be used in exceptional circumstances, and there is criteria to fulfil so if that criteria is not met, your request for an order fails.

Always remember, costs are at the court's discretion (and they have a wide discretion). If you should lose your case, you can ask the court to take into account your status as an LiP and affordability to repay those costs as a factor but there is no guarantee. Equally, you could seek a detailed assessment of the costs to run that down somewhat but you may only find and after accounting for any duplicate work or excessive time spent on certain matters, the reduction may only amount to £10,000-£20,000 of a £200k bill.

You say its unfair but surely the defendant could also say its also unfair that it has to foot it's own bill even if it is successful simply because you wanted to bring a claim for a relatively significant sum of compensation.
                      Thank you for this comment. I don't think it is possible for them to win as they have admitted fault both in emails and telephone recordings. but from what I understand and please correct me if I am wrong - if I ask for more compensation than the judge allows then I am liable for the opponent's costs. - Is this true?

The compensation could be anywhere from between 60,000 and 220,000 a good balance point will be about a £150,000.

Comment

Have you told them they cannot win in Court ? You could ask for a settlement to avoid a case and all the costs involved.

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
                          Have you told them they cannot win in Court ? You could ask for a settlement to avoid a case and all the costs involved.
                          I would like to do that but was wondering it I would be giving things away that I may later regret if I went on to using a solicitor.
                          If you could give me some advice on that that would be great.
                          I won the case with the ombudsman but they did not agree with the compensation and it was going to go further I had to stop the case to get legal advice and they would not reopen it on my return.

Comment

Sorry i cant offer advice personally the thought of losing and getting a very big legal bill from the other side scares me. Im sure the legal minds here and elsewhere can weigh up the pros and cons of any actions and options you have.Good luck whichever way you go

Comment

Thank you I think the bank is far more likely to take it seriously from a solicitor who already has the insurance in place to be paid and cover all costs. whether it goes to court or is sorted out before it goes to court. I hope they have the where with all to get a settlement before it goes to court.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X