• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

American Company Not paying

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Company Not paying

Hello. I make t-shirt designs and have had a shop with a website for 5 years. Without warning they shut my shop and they cancel all current orders, around 100. I can understand the cancelling orders. However they will not respond to any correspondence via email, forms or social media. I have not had a single reply from them in over 3 weeks. They have not paid for the previous month.

They usually pay on the 15th. This would be 3 weeks before closing the shop where it's almost certain those orders are sent and paid for. I have sales emails per sale and there are around 200. I'd be owed around $300. They have also broke their own terms not paying on the 15th. The frustration with their no reply policy is leading me to want to take legal action, but I'm not sure I can or afford to.

- Can I take them to the monies claim website "MCOL" or is this only for UK based companies? If not, is there anything else I can do?

(Incidentally they shut my shop due to DMCAs. A form of copyright take down which they do not adhere to fully. I file counter claims as companies almost always claim parody work they should not. Although a grey area the company is question 100% do NOT send counter claims to the claimer, which is not legal in itself but not something I don't need to go into, but I am trying to explain I'm a legitimate artist and well known in the design community, not one of those dodgy rip off/image thieves)

Any help if appreciated, as you can imagine not only have I now lost a lot of monthly income, for them not to reply once is extremely frustrating and I think ridiculous for a company to do. From what I can gather they do this to everyone.
    Tags: None

There is no point taking legal action in the UK against a US company that has no UK presence. The US does not recognise or enforce judgments of UK courts.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
      There is no point taking legal action in the UK against a US company that has no UK presence. The US does not recognise or enforce judgments of UK courts.
      I see, they do sell to the UK. So there's no way to do anything?

Comment

You may sue in the appropriate State.
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Sorry, I meant to add that you should study the terms and conditions that you will almost certainly have accepted when setting up your trading account on this website. They will tell you the govening law and the country or state with jurisdiction, and a lot else besides.

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
            Sorry, I meant to add that you should study the terms and conditions that you will almost certainly have accepted when setting up your trading account on this website. They will tell you the govening law and the country or state with jurisdiction, and a lot else besides.
            I've got the terms its just one page of generic stuff. It doesn't mention not paying if they close your store from a month earlier. It just states they will pay on the 15th.

Im in the UK myself, so how would I sue in their state? It is new york. I guess it is just not possible and they have stolen the money and got away with it.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X