• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Financial checks and ability to pay. Is it worth taking this sole trader to court?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Financial checks and ability to pay. Is it worth taking this sole trader to court?

Hi all

Please could anyone help me with a general question if possible? We might be looking to bring a case to the small claims court against a plumber due to the poor standard of work.

We've been speaking to the legal cover through our home insurance who have made some basic checks on his finances. They've said that as he doesn't own property and his company isn't registered with Companies House (he's a sole trader), he doesn't fulfil their/the insurer's criteria and as a result they can't help us take the case to court as they could not enforce payment.

However, whilst I can understand their position, what I wanted to know is... If we take him to the small claims court without their support and won, and he refused to pay, would it not be enforceable as he has no demonstrable assets? Or would the judge take into consideration his income/personal bank account/tools/van etc?

Whilst trying to sort matters with him directly, he has blatantly lied about some things. We fear that even if he did have assets, or money in a personal bank account, he would do whatever he could to move these or make them unavailable in some way. Do the courts/enforcers see through these kinds of things? Or, if he wants to "plead poverty" is that something quite easily achieved?

We're at our wits end trying to decide what to do! Any advice or pointers to stuff to read on the subject would be massively appreciated.

Many thanks

(PS - we noticed this evening that he has his put his UTR number on his estimates and invoices. As we've only just realised we've not yet told the legal firm, but will do so in the morning. Could this UTR number help in any way?)
    Tags: None

Sorry for any confusion. As per the other thread I posted here:

https://legalbeagles.info/forums/for...d-in-this-case

It makes more sense to keep everything in one thread. I thought keeping them separate would be helpful but can see now why it isn't. Apologies! If this thread can be locked or deleted, that would be fantastic thanks. In the meantime, I'll edit the other thread to incorporate any of the necessary details from above.

Many thanks

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X