• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Starting a claim against creditor who has sold debt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting a claim against creditor who has sold debt

Hi everyone, I want to bring a court claim against a creditor (short term loan company) for irresponsible lending. I already made a complaint directly to the original lender who didn't agree and then it was referred to the FOS who also didn't agree but I still want to pursue in court as I think they're wrong and can prove it in court.

The problem is the debt has been sold onto a debt collector who now hold the rights to the debt. So who do I bring the court claim against? The debt collector or the original lender? The debt collector is saying they were not involved in issuing the original loan so they are not the right party. However the loan on my credit file is now under the debt collectors name and have all rights to the debt so not sure who to issue this against?

Thanks in advance!
    Tags: None

It would be the 'short term loan company', that is where the dispute originated. Where did the 'irresponsible lending' occur? - the 'short term loan company.

It might be an idea to wait for other members comments. Don't forget Pre - Action protocols stated in the CPR.

Comment

"You claim a refund from the original lender, not the debt collector that has bought the debt. It was the original lender that did not check properly you could afford the loan, so they have to refund you"

quote from: .https://debtcamel.co.uk/payday-loan-refund-dmp/

Comment

But if I take it to court won't the original lender just say that they don't own the loan anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by stark13 View Post
          But if I take it to court won't the original lender just say that they don't own the loan anymore?
          They owned it when the 'irresponsible lending' took place. The current owner didn't carry out 'due diligence' on you, the 'original lender' did.

Comment

Thanks, sorry few more questions. The loans aren't fully paid off so can I submit the claim through MCOL or do I have to use another route? Basically I want them to refund the interest to the loan account so it reduces the balance and also remove the default as its unaffordable lending. What section of the Consumer credit act would I be relying on in the claim form/particulars?

Comment

If you intend to bring a claim for professional negligence I suggest you first read the relevant CPR: https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/pr...tocol/prot_neg

and if this is your first foray into the courts these links are worth reading:
              https://www.judiciary.uk/publication...-civil-221013/
              https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/...+web+FINAL.pdf

​​​​​​​You can use MCOL

Comment

Thank You. I am moving house soon and I have already issued the claim at my old address. How do I change my address with the courts? The claim has already been served on the Defendant. Will this delay proceedings in any way?

Comment

CPR6.24 Where the address for service of a party changes, that party must give notice in writing of the change as soon as it has taken place to the court and every other party

Can't find a form, so write letter.
                  Due to current court delays might be worth phoning them

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Sorry another question please! The creditor is part of a financial group which has various brands. I have taken out credit products with 2 of these brands and want to make a legal claim against both. Can I do this in one claim and serve the claim on the parent company?

Comment

If the "brands" are separate limited companies, each would need to be served individual claims.

If not, you may be able to serve on "the holding company trading as XYZ".
                        Will probably be complicated trying to make a single combined claim against two different subsidiaries

Comment

Hello everyone, me again! So where I'm at now... The defendant didn't respond on time so I filed for default judgement online, I got a message saying it could take up to 10 days for the judgement to be issued. Then before the judgement was issued the Defendant responded with their defence so the court cancelled the issue of judgement. Is the Defendant allowed to do this even though they missed the deadline? I called the helpline and the advisor said that as the Defendant responded before the judgement officially being issued that it was correct. I really don't understand what the point in the deadline is then!? They responded after that deadline and I filed for judgement prior to this. The 10 days is the court processing time. FYI I used OCMC, any help would be much appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by stark13 View Post
                            Hello everyone, me again! So where I'm at now... The defendant didn't respond on time so I filed for default judgement online, I got a message saying it could take up to 10 days for the judgement to be issued. Then before the judgement was issued the Defendant responded with their defence so the court cancelled the issue of judgement. Is the Defendant allowed to do this even though they missed the deadline? I called the helpline and the advisor said that as the Defendant responded before the judgement officially being issued that it was correct. I really don't understand what the point in the deadline is then!? They responded after that deadline and I filed for judgement prior to this. The 10 days is the court processing time. FYI I used OCMC, any help would be much appreciated!
                            Perfectly normal for defences filed late to be allowed.

Comment

Thank you, out of interest does the judgement in default form n225 have to be served on the Defendant?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X