• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Error in Particulars - Wrong legislation cited - What do i Do?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Error in Particulars - Wrong legislation cited - What do i Do?

    So, I filed a claim against two parties. (A Private Parking Firm, and the landowner). I am a LiP.

    The Landowner did not acknowledge service, and a request for judgement was submitted.

    The parking operator has filed their defence. (No counterclaim) Reading their defence, it appears as if I have made an error. I have claimed they breached the Data Protection Act S.46, which they plainly have not as that section only applies to law enforcement. What I *meant* to say was that they have breached GDPR Art.16 as enacted by DPA2018. (I think)

    The provisions of article 16 are virtually identical to the provisions of DPA S46, save for the fact that S46 is only applicable to law enforcement, whereas Art.16 as enacted by DPA2018 is applicable in this case (I think). I believe it would have been reasonable for the defendant (who is represented) to have inferred what was meant in the particulars.

    Two questions arise - Is this error fatal to that part of the claim, or is a judge likely to interpret the claim as it was intended? If it is fatal, then how do I fix it? Do I request permission from the defendant to file amended particulars? Or do I just mention it in a reply to the defence?

    The second question is what happens with respect to the landowner if I file amended particulars? They've already missed the deadline and default judgement has already been requested. If I file amended particulars, does it "re-open" the case for the second defendant and allow them time to file a defence? I would assume it would if there were substantial changes to the claims, but since the applicable law is virtually identical (just mis-referenced), what would actually happen?

    Final point - if any qualified legal professional would like to help me with my case pro-bono, in the interests of fighting back against the vultures of the private parking world, please let me know!

    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.


1 of 3 < >

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

2 of 3 < >


Pre-Action Letters
First Steps
Check dates
Acknowledge Claim
CCA Request
CPR 31.14 Request
Subject Access Request Letter
Example Defence
Set Aside Application
Witness Statements
Directions Questionnaire
Statute Barred Letter

If you received a court claim and would like some help and support dealing with it, please read the first steps and make a new thread in the forum with as much information as you can.

NOTE: If you receive a court claim note these dates in your calendar ...
Acknowledge Claim - within 14 days from Service

Defend Claim - within 28 days from Service (IF you acknowledged in time)

If you fail to Acknowledge the claim you may have a default judgment awarded against you, likewise, if you fail to enter your defence within 28 days from Service.

We now feature a number of specialist consumer credit debt solicitors on our sister site, JustBeagle.com
If your case is over £10,000 or particularly complex it may be worth a chat with a solicitor, often they will be able to help on a fixed fee or CFA (no win, no fee) basis.
3 of 3 < >

Need Formal Help?

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

See more
See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm