• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Suing an Overseas Company

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Suing an Overseas Company

    Can I serve a USA based company eg Facebook using its London address? I read that section 1139(2) of the Companies Act allows one to issue proceedings on an overseas company whose particulars are registered under section 1046 of the Companies Act 2006 as determined in Teekay Tankers Limited v STX Offshore & Shipping Co [2014] EWHC 3612 (Comm)...
    Tags: None

  • #2
    Probably but I wouldn't recommend it without lawyers experienced in the matter and probably with offices in the other territory. If your target is an entity like Facebook, you really are going to have a hard time.

    In the scenario you describe, you need to consider the precise legal entity that you need to sue.

    If the matter relates to a contractual relationship, it may be that the legal entity that you need to sue, is in the UK - it's overseas parentage/ownership is irrelevant. To work that out you may need a lawyer, or post the relevant information here for further help.

    If the legal liability that you claim under is non-contractual - breach of a duty of care to you for example, again the salient point is against whom (which company) your liability lies, which will depend on the circumstances. If the answer is a UK company, the UK courts will do just fine.


    View our Terms and Conditions

    LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

    If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

    If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.


    1 of 3 < >

    Support LegalBeagles

    Donate with PayPal button

    LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

    2 of 3 < >


    Pre-Action Letters
    First Steps
    Check dates
    Acknowledge Claim
    CCA Request
    CPR 31.14 Request
    Subject Access Request Letter
    Example Defence
    Set Aside Application
    Witness Statements
    Directions Questionnaire
    Statute Barred Letter

    If you received a court claim and would like some help and support dealing with it, please read the first steps and make a new thread in the forum with as much information as you can.

    NOTE: If you receive a court claim note these dates in your calendar ...
    Acknowledge Claim - within 14 days from Service

    Defend Claim - within 28 days from Service (IF you acknowledged in time)

    If you fail to Acknowledge the claim you may have a default judgment awarded against you, likewise, if you fail to enter your defence within 28 days from Service.

    We now feature a number of specialist consumer credit debt solicitors on our sister site, JustBeagle.com
    If your case is over £10,000 or particularly complex it may be worth a chat with a solicitor, often they will be able to help on a fixed fee or CFA (no win, no fee) basis.
    3 of 3 < >

    Need Formal Help?

    Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

    Find a Law Firm

    See more
    See less

    Court Claim ?

    Guides and Letters

    Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

    Find a Law Firm