• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Default Judgement (or not ?) - letter received and I'm unclear

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Default Judgement (or not ?) - letter received and I'm unclear

so I got a letter of judgement from the County Court just today against the defendant

Is this what is known as 'default judgement''? - I couldn't see the word default anywhere it's very brief and says only;

""On27 October 2020.
    Before Deputy District Judge xxxx sitting at the County Court at xxxxxx

Upon considering the letter from the Claimant received on 26 October 2020:
    IT IS ORDERED THAT
    1. Judgement against 1st Defendant.
    2. Claim against 2nd Defendant Struck Out"
    Dated 27 October 2020""

There was no mention of awarded costs which I found strange (google seems to think I should get a copy of the costs he has been ordered to pay?)

So I went onto the CCJ register (trustonline) and which indicates judgement in the amount I asked for (over £4,000). (its a business that owes me as person)

I was querying why the Court didn't send me a copy of these (seemingly) awarded payments.

I guess the main question is do I need to do anything now or wait, if so how long

I would think that the defendant will now apply to have it set aside unsure what this means and what I should do next.
    Tags: None

Default means the judgement was made in absence of a defence from the defendant.

You need to ensure that you secure - if not already - a CCJ.

Once you have the sealed (stamped) CCJ - the Judgement Debtor (as they will now be referred to) can make an application to the court to set aside (legal bingo for cancelled) BUT they need to show the court why they did not receive the claim (assuming they did not) and that they have a reasonable chance of defending the claim. If they ignored the claim and didnt bother to respond to the court then it will be unlikely the CCJ will be set aside. If you have CLEAR documented evidence they owe you money then their argument that they can defend becomes weak so again unlikely it will be set aside. The court will typically only award costs that you claimed for.

Ignoring claims and correspondence from the courts is plain stupid and tells you something about the individual you are dealing with. Of course there might be a valid reason why they did not reply to your claim and hence a "default" judgement entered.

NO you do not wait. You contact the court and ask to speak with an officer of the court who can provide further information on a CCJ you have been granted - assuming you have, The CCJ will say how much needs paying and by when or/and installment amounts and on what date of the month. Then you can wait - for the Debtor to default on the CCJ which then allows you to consider and deploy enforcement options.

So at the moment - you need a copy of the CCJ.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X