• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Product liability/pers. injury small claims - advice for response to the defence pls

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Product liability/pers. injury small claims - advice for response to the defence pls

Hi.* I have filed a small claims track claim after suffering a bad cut to my thumb on a product.* I received a recall notice shortly after the injury stating* that it could cause teh type of injury sustained due to a fault.

I've just received an email from the retailer's lawyer. I had not give an email address when I filed the claim and it's not one I normally use so I've only just seen this a few days before the defendant's deadline for filing their defence.

They're asking for a number of things as evidence of my claim (fine - I think as I can provide all these).* They have said "Once we have these details we should be able to try to resolve your claim.",

My question is that they have stated:

"The Defendant notes that the Claimant does not plead any reliance on the Consumer Protection Act 1987 against the Defendant."

I did not state any particular legislation in the summary of the claim I filed with the court.*

My question is...did I need to and if so, can I still do this?* I had thought that I needed to simply set out the facts of the claim per the MCOL instructions rather than a full Particulars of Claim.*

As a litigant in person, it's also my understanding that the court would not expect me necessarily to be able to cite legislation nor case law.

My claim is covered by the CPA 1987 as the product defect is not in question (defendant has admitted they sold the defective product at this time but has said they cannot "admit nor deny" that it caused my injury). I believe I'd need to prove that my happened and that injury was likely to have been caused by the product.* Perhaps not relevant to my question here, but as background I have proof of purchase., copy of medical notes from GP treating the injury and a recording of a call I made to my wife on the day in which I explain what had just happened.* All these were over a month before I the recall notice was issued.

I plan to respond to the defendant's lawyer to supply the requested evidence in order to comply with the spirit of the Civil Procedure Rules and attempt to settle without taking up the court's time.* If that's folly, please let me know!

Thanks.
    Tags: None

Originally posted by stuartb3502 View Post
    Hi. I have filed a small claims track claim after suffering a bad cut to my thumb on a product. I received a recall notice shortly after the injury stating that it could cause teh type of injury sustained due to a fault.

I've just received an email from the retailer's lawyer. I had not give an email address when I filed the claim and it's not one I normally use so I've only just seen this a few days before the defendant's deadline for filing their defence.

They're asking for a number of things as evidence of my claim (fine - I think as I can provide all these). They have said "Once we have these details we should be able to try to resolve your claim.",

My question is that they have stated:

"The Defendant notes that the Claimant does not plead any reliance on the Consumer Protection Act 1987 against the Defendant."

I did not state any particular legislation in the summary of the claim I filed with the court.

My question is...did I need to and if so, can I still do this? I had thought that I needed to simply set out the facts of the claim per the MCOL instructions rather than a full Particulars of Claim.

As a litigant in person, it's also my understanding that the court would not expect me necessarily to be able to cite legislation nor case law.

My claim is covered by the CPA 1987 as the product defect is not in question (defendant has admitted they sold the defective product at this time but has said they cannot "admit nor deny" that it caused my injury). I believe I'd need to prove that my happened and that injury was likely to have been caused by the product. Perhaps not relevant to my question here, but as background I have proof of purchase., copy of medical notes from GP treating the injury and a recording of a call I made to my wife on the day in which I explain what had just happened. All these were over a month before I the recall notice was issued.

I plan to respond to the defendant's lawyer to supply the requested evidence in order to comply with the spirit of the Civil Procedure Rules and attempt to settle without taking up the court's time. If that's folly, please let me know!

Thanks.
    you are supposed to plead a clear concise statement of the facts upon which your claim is based.

Ive seen consumer rights act claims not pleaded as cra claims succced, so i wouldnt worry. i would however clarify that your claim does include the CPA 1987 just to be safe when you reply to their letter
    I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Thank-you very much. I'll do that.

p.s. No idea why weird characters are appearing in my posts! :-)
      Last edited by stuartb3502; 30th June 2020, 13:32:PM. Reason: added p.s.

Comment

As a follow up - the MCOL site (which was not available when I posted earlier) shows that a defence has been submitted and that "A bar was put in place for" the defendant.

What does this mean in terms of my next steps?* I had thought they were not replying and would have requested a default judgement had this been the case.

Now that they have replied (albeit they are not admitting nor settling the claim), what would my timeline be for next steps? I intend to cooperate to try and resolve if possible, but at what stage could I go back to the court if needed?* Presumably I'd* have to request that the bar is lifted?

Thanks again.**

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X