• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

My claim V Sky (am I being greedy/unrealistic)?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My claim V Sky (am I being greedy/unrealistic)?

Good afternoon legalbeagles

My case is against Sky TV which is currently being handled by CISAS & they have advised I have a case.* They have offered £260 to settle which I have declined.

The main issues in regards to my case are:

1. Sky should never installed the dish in the first place - this was confirmed by both Sky more than once.* The engineer that did so breached the Consumer Rights Act as the dish wasn't installed with reasonable care & skill.* The engineer put up a ladder, climbed over a balcony and installed Sky.* I am in a top floor flat & to install it a long coaxial cable was required all the way down to the dish.**
    2. I have had numerous issues with the installation.* Repair visits - 7 in 3 1/2 years - I live on a seafront & water was getting into the cabling, blocking the signal.* They were able to repair not by using a ladder to go over a balcony but through a fish & chip shop.* The dish was accessible easily thru this establishment.* There was no access via this establishment at the time of installation.* In fact it was only due to us seeing customers enjoying there lunch on the balcony that we knew about it at all!
    3. This year in February, Sky stopped working yet again.* However, the fish and chip shop access is no longer there as it had closed down.* The engineer came out & said 'we can't repair that due to Health & Safety - it should never have been installed in the first place'.
    4. Sky had to be disconnected as they refused to fix the issue which was done in March 2020.* I was in contract for another year, approximately.
    5. The issue gets more complicated.* I bought a TV from Currys in the January sales - OLED @ £1249.* After family discounts and selling old equipment - £1049.* However, a main selling point of buying this TV was a promotion between LG & Sky (Sky are listed as promoters of the offer) which gave £20 a month off my Sky bill for 18 months.* So, for a TV that would have been over £1500 not so long ago, I could get it for £700 ish.* Great, or so I thought.* *I received 1 month of discount before disconnection due to the issues above, leaving me out of pocket by £340.* I bought the TV soley on the basis of having the Sky discount.
    6. It gets a little more complicated.* I also bought a new mobile phone contract in December 2019 as it came with a new TV.* I didn't need a new mobile phone but the TV was to go in the bedroom for my new Sky minibox.* This service lasted around a month before the disconnection.* I was refunded the costs of having the Sky mini box but I'm still out of pocket for the mobile phone contract I didn't need!* 18 months to go still.
    7. In terms of how it has affected me, it is monumental.* I am a disabled person in receipt of all appropriate disabled persons benefits.* Sky TV was a huge part of my life - I am at home more often than not & 90% of my viewing is sport related & I had the Sky Q Silver package so I could watch everything in UHD.* I could record in UHD.* My condition is worsening, which is why I had the Sky mini box put in the bedroom.
    I have lost all my recordings on the box like Liverpool v Barcelona in the Champions League - comeback spectacular.* Somerset v Hampshire in the last ever proper 50 over game & England v New Zealand Cricket World Cup - arguably the best game ever.* Many a TV series has been lost too.* And of course, I have lost all future UHD sports/movie broadcasts too.

Due to COVID, I had waited til recently before getting another supplier.* I now have BT-TV which is an inferior service to Sky but what choice do I have.* It is also more expensive that Sky, especially with my discount listed above.* I can only watch in HD, which isn't as good.

I filed a claim V Sky @ CISAS which say I have a case.* However, Sky has only offered £260 which isn't anywhere near high enough - it doesn't even cover my discount costs let alone anything else.

I wanted the full £10,000 in my claim as Sky broke the CRA - the seed of all of this -* & has caused so much frustration, anxiety, inconvenience, flared up my fibromyalgia no end as well as costs detailed above.* Now in truth, did I expect £10k?* No.*

Half that? Yes.* Is this very unlikely?* I mean, am I being unrealistic in terms of a fair level of compensation & costs reimbursement?

Regards

slash1975

Tags: None

The lawdoes not allow you to claim more than you are of pocket by plus a reasonable amount for distress. Speak to cifas and outline what you have written here. Short sentences and bullet points. Things need to be as clear as possible.

Comment

Hi and thanks for the reply

In my case to CISAS I pretty much stated what I did above here.* I also sent to CISAS the evidence required of everything ie the now closed fish n chip shop, the TV from Currys receipts with the promotion, the mobile phone contract & proof of disability status etc.

I suppose it's what equates to a 'reasonable amount for distress'.* I stated £9,000 because my life is most definitely worse due to what Sky has done to me with fibromyalgia flaring mainly.

I will give CISAS a ring tomorrow

Slash1975

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
      X