• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

I have a default judgment, but defendant filed N244 - hearing soon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a default judgment, but defendant filed N244 - hearing soon

Hello
    I started a small claim and as the defendant’s solicitors did extend the deadline to respond but ultimately didn’t file anything I asked for default judgement to be entered.*
    They then sent me threatening letters and filed a N244 application.
    By ringing the court I found out that
    A) They tried giving file an unless order to strike out the claim but they first send it to the wrong court, then emailed the right court but without attachment and then filed it again but after I had asked for judgement to be entered.
    B) They then filed a N244 application and the court set up a hearing.

I don’t know how to prepare this meeting. Do I need to file a bundle beforehand?
    I was under the assumption that you can only set a judgement aside if you were unaware of it (wrong address etc) but in this case they were just careless.*
    The unless order was strange, too - they had all the information. Strangely, they have now drafted a Defence that they sent me.

What are the chances of the judgement being set aside? I found the Wright vs Hassle judgement which said that both parties are required to know the rules and deadlines and they clearly made mistakes, the court said this, too.
    I had asked the court if the judge could make a decision based on paper evidence, but apparently there’s always a hearing.

This is such a long process and it is so trying to get the money back!
    Tags: None

Hi

It doesn't sound like you've actually been granted default judgment, you've just asked for it. You either have to make a Request for default judgment using the relevant practice form, assuming you meet the criteria in CPR 12.3 and 12.4, or you have to make a Part 23 Application for default judgment.

Unfortunately CPR 12.3 was changed on 6 April 2020, so now the courts can't grant default judgment if an acknowledgment of service or a Defence has been filed, which it seems the Defendant has done in your case. https://hsfnotes.com/litigation/2020...fore-judgment/

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X