• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Received communication from defendant in small claims case

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Received communication from defendant in small claims case

Hi,

I started a small claims case. I received correspondence in a small claims case. are their protocol from what to do with this stuff? Is this part of conduct in a matter?

The letter is a sort of sudo threatening letter again. "You don't have a claim. You are a very sill person. BTW we are now deleting your accounts."

Thanks in advance.
    Tags: None

Start at the beginning and tell us what it is about.

Comment

Originally posted by ploddertom View Post
      Start at the beginning and tell us what it is about.
      I'm a sole trader, they are a medium-sized popular internet hosting company.
      This hosting company decided to change my 2-year recurring hosting contract. They plan to reduce the hosts allowed and increases the price.

chronologically
      I say that the increase is fair. Then they increase it again. I find out that they have actually tried to sign me to another contract.
      Their excuse is that they emailed me.
      I complain. They say they can do what they want.
      I send a letter of claim for "specific performance".
      They say that it won't work because I have not lost any money.
      I put a small claim into court for specific performance (to continue the)
      They send an email to say that they will cancel the account.

How do I tell the court about the conduct of the defendant?
      How do I apply for judgement?

Comment

Based on what you've said, you could be barking up the wrong tree. The starting point is that the terms of the contract between the agreed parties are enforceable unless it is illegal, contrary to legislation or there are public policy reasons why it should not be allowed.

So the starting point is, what are the terms that you signed up to? Can you tell us who the company is and if they have terms and conditions on their website?

If they have a right to terminate the contract then I can't see what you are complaining about, and your claim for specific performance falls flat on its face. You can't force someone not to do something they already have a right to.

Cancelling the account is not a conduct issue. Has the company filed a defence or acknowledgment and is their time up?
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
          Based on what you've said, you could be barking up the wrong tree. The starting point is that the terms of the contract between the agreed parties are enforceable unless it is illegal, contrary to legislation or there are public policy reasons why it should not be allowed.

So the starting point is, what are the terms that you signed up to? Can you tell us who the company is and if they have terms and conditions on their website?

If they have a right to terminate the contract then I can't see what you are complaining about, and your claim for specific performance falls flat on its face. You can't force someone not to do something they already have a right to.

Cancelling the account is not a conduct issue. Has the company filed a defence or acknowledgement and is their time up?
          Thank you. It's often hard to see what the court means by conduct affecting the outcome. Should I expect correspondence (a defence) via the court? How do I check is they have responded/acknowledge my claim?

To answer your question. I hope I'm "Not barking up the wrong tree", I'm applying to the court to enforce the contract I agreed on. I researched the matter quite thoroughly before putting in my claim. Because this is very scary. (Not using just google.). I want this company to honour the contract - the court process is called "specific performance". Which basically means that the court tells the company to keep the contract going.

You are right, a contract includes any terms or conversation surrounding the creation of the contract, and any laws in force. That said my contract says reoccurring. They have ignored this. And have called the contract at an end by stealth. They have just said, "you are now on a new contract". Which is very much "illegal, contrary to legislation or there are public policy" as you put very well. They seemed to think just emailing me amounted a new contract. This contrary to our law of an offer and acceptance to make a binding contract.

The terms are limited by implied terms and express terms. My contract says:

The expresses terms say they can only change the price on the website but my contract remains the same.

Implied terms are (ie statute): a term which says they can cancel anytime is unreasonable, (especially when the other company is much bigger.)
          The law says you can make reasonable change price changes outside terms. But you cannot switch in a completely different contract.

I hope that helps.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X