• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Issue of Privacy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issue of Privacy

Dear Beagles,

I am bringing a Small Claims claim which is due within a couple of week in court.

I have just received the defendants evidence pack and statement.

Also within this is a separate statement from a "Hostile" witness. "Hostile" as I also have a claim pending against him.

This second statement contains many factual inaccuracies, and misleading allegations. It is basically a Character Assassination in 12 pages!!! This is bad enough as the bulk over 95% does not even refer to the claim I'm bringing against the defendant, but my real concern is that it reveals private, personal, and confidential information about myself and my wife which is not in the public domain, and we'd like it to remain so. I personally believe it was deliberately done to embarrass my wife and I, and is certainly a malicious intervention by this individual.

Do I have any options to request that the statement be redacted, or withheld from public scrutiny? I have no issue with the Judge seeing it as it really helps my case in that it shows the kind of "People" I've been having to deal with.

Many thanks
    D.
    Tags: None

Don't worry about it becoming public.

Witness Statements are available from the record, but only if the court gives permission.
    An application notice has to be filed with the court and a hearing will almost certainly be required. A party and/or any person named in a witness statement may contest production of the witness statement
    In every case, the court will want to know why the application is made, and most likely what uses to which the witness statement will be put, if it access is granted.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X