• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Set Aside

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, patience. Patience, patience, patience. I know it is frustrating, but you need to wait.

Comment

Paperwork and cheque were served today (Defence). Terrible defence as expected, I've already got a witness statement drafted up with all my exhibits, realistically my case is watertight, HOWEVER, I know I'm dealing with a kangaroo court, so I'll pay the hearing fee, and then I'll have my case heard in my absence (I'll send all the relevant documentation and a letter stating I won't be attending).

Comment

P.s. do I need to respond to the defence, or am I good just sending in my witness statement and exhibits as per the original order made stating 14 day before the hearing.*

Comment

Originally posted by zas90 View Post
          Paperwork and cheque were served today (Defence). Terrible defence as expected, I've already got a witness statement drafted up with all my exhibits, realistically my case is watertight, HOWEVER, I know I'm dealing with a kangaroo court, so I'll pay the hearing fee, and then I'll have my case heard in my absence (I'll send all the relevant documentation and a letter stating I won't be attending).
          1st Mistake - NOT ATTENDING!

Comment

I agree with Mike. Any person who thinks their case is solid but then chooses to not attend the hearing would be foolish and naive and especially more so if the defendant decides to turn up.

Any advantage you might have could be lost by not being present at the hearing and it is a simple fact that those who turn up have a better chance of winning than those who don't. For starters you won't be able to rebut anything the defendant says as part of their case and the judge will only have the material you've given. He or she won't argue your case for you because that's your job.

I suspect that if the court dismisses your claim you will be crying foul again and using this case as another way to say the courts are kangaroo courts and there's no justice etc. To be honest, I think the blame there would fall squarely with you.

But hey, each to their own and let's hope the judge does side with you, good luck.

If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
            LEGAL DISCLAIMER
            Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Is there an update?

Comment

Apologies for my late response.

An update;

Hearing was scheduled for 23rd March 2020, of course the Country went on lockdown on the 23rd March 2020 so the hearing did not go ahead from my understanding (I did not attend).

I requested as per CPR 27 to have the hearing my my absence (sent 14 days before the hearing), the Defendant did not bother sending any paperwork (witness statement, evidence bundle etc).

Fast forward to today (20th April), I receive YET ANOTHER ORDER allowing him until the 27th April 2020 to serve a witness statement, the order notes that I have complied with everything and need to do nothing further at this point, it also states that the hearing will be rescheduled after July 2020. Of course the Defendant was given more opportunity to comply with a basic court order.

What Next?

No doubt he'll fail to comply with this concession and be allowed another month to comply with it.

In response to points made above by other posters;

I am entitled to have a hearing in my absence, going off the conduct of the Court and Defendant, my presence will have no benefit, I am aware that this COULD be detrimental to my case, however at this point I just want this matter over and done with (for the sake of the amount I've claimed, I wish I had just let him get away with selling a faulty car), however I will not discontinue as this will allow the judge to issue costs against me (in which I have no doubt she would do).

I hand delivered to the Court my Witness Statement and Evidence bundle a month before the hearing (it was around 60 pages, comprising of evidence exhibits, table of contents, and of course a witness statement that addresses my claim and the points made by the Defendant in his defence, everything was numbered and easy to find), I set out a concise case, everything referenced within my claim has been backed by stacks of evidence plus well researched caselaw that categorically proves my stance is correct from a legal point of view. Any potential questions I think that could be asked have been addressed.

Comment

Just another update.

Defendant failed to supply the documents ordered by the court. Judgement again has been requested (I believe this is the sixth time he's failed to comply with an order), I am not holding out any hope with this though.*

Comment

Judgment was entered against the Defendant, the order also attaches costs and places a bar on the Defendant from being able to defend the claim.

Glad this whole claim is over.

Comment

I’m really pleased for you. Hope you had your monies! My case still continues, it was supposed to take place a year ago and up to this date I’m still waiting

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                      X