• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Legal Entity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal Entity

A sole trader trading as XYZ has brought a claim against me in his trading as name only and referring to documents in his trading as name only - can this claim be a non-entity as not a Ltd Co and the Terms of his documents can these be actually enforced?
    Tags: None

Yes, what makes you think a sole trader cant sue you? Court rules require sole traders to reference their trading as name in court documents.

Sole traders have as much right to bring a claim in the courts as any other person. Depending on the type of structure of the business dictates how they are referred to in court documents
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

I should add to the above post by saying that the sole trader can bring a claim on the assumption a contract exists or they have some other legal remedy available
      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

The Claim and Documents only state a Trading As name which is not a legal entity - no name of the Claimant stated.

Comment

A sole trader can be sued under either name but can only sue under their own name (and noting the trading name).

Practice Direction 16,
          2.6 The claim form must be headed with the title of the proceedings, including the full name of each party. The full name means, in each case where it is known:

(a) in the case of an individual, his full unabbreviated name and title by which he is known;

(b) in the case of an individual carrying on business in a name other than his own name, the full unabbreviated name of the individual, together with the title by which he is known, and the full trading name (for example, John Smith ‘trading as’ or ‘T/as’ ‘JS Autos’);
          If you think a failure invalidates the claim then you'd need to speak with the court but I'd imagine the court would allow a naming error to be corrected as it's more an administrative issue than anything else.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X