• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Propose Letter Before Claim - Any thoughts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propose Letter Before Claim - Any thoughts?

Hi All,
    After a few months of trying to resolve a warranty repair with a company I have decided to issue a letter before claim and fully intend to pursue this.

The details are in the draft letter below. The imperfection in the screen that they have mentioned is so trivial that it is frankly ridiculous for them to claim that it invalidates the warranty IMHO (it is a area of less than a millimetre across, where there is slight discolouration or possible lifting of the screen).

I wonder if I could have your thoughts on the contents of the letter, please?

Dear Sir or Madam,

Re: [Device Name] - Serial Number XXXXXXX - Warranty Repair - Complaint Ref: XXXXXXX

I have previously written to you, regarding a requested repair to this phone under your 2 year warranty. Correspondence took place in numerous emails dated from XXX to XXX.

I asked you to resolve a problem with the battery drain, under the warranty. Having provided you with proof of purchase, you initially agreed to the repair and asked me to send the phone to you.

However, you subsequently denied my request to repair the device under the warranty. While not disputing the existence of the battery drain fault, you claim that it is not covered due to "customer abuse" and pointing out a very small imperfection on the screen.

I specifically asked you (while the phone was still in your possession) to investigate this and to explain how the very minor screen imperfection could cause the battery drain fault, but you have failed to provide any explanation whatsoever.

It is clear from the paperwork returned with the phone that no proper examination of the device has taken place, apart from an initial inspection, noting the very small defect on the screen.

I have asked you to suggest the most cost effective way in which this matter can be resolved, and you have told me that the only option is a repair at a cost to me, in excess of £230.

Under the terms of the warranty I am entitled to either a repair or a refurbished phone, along with a minimum warranty extension of 3 months.

As you have refused to repair or replace the phone and in an attempt to minimise any loss to me, I have looked into purchasing a refurbished phone. The cheapest that I have found, for the exact model, and with a future warranty of at least 3 month, would cost £168.76 - which is significantly less than your stated repair cost.

I therefore claim the amount of £168.76 from you, for breach of contract.

If I do not receive a satisfactory response from you within 14 days of the date of this letter, I intend to issue proceedings against you in the county court without further notice. This may increase your liability for costs.

I refer you to the Practice Direction on pre-action conduct under the Civil Procedure Rules, and in particular to paragraph 13-16 which sets out the sanctions the court may impose if you fail to comply with the Practice Direction.

Yours Sincerely,

Last edited by BatteryDrain; 14th March 2019, 21:11:PM.
    Tags: None

Hi and welcome

What was purchase date of phone and when were they first told of the fault.?

You may be better making a claim under your rights as bestowed by the Consumer Rights Act 2015, but it depends on dates

Comment

Hi,
      Thank you.

I think it will be too late under the CRA.

I don't have the exact dates with me at the moment, but bought in Feb 2017, fault started Autumn 2018 and got progressively worse, notified in Nov 2018, they asked me to run some diagnostics/fixes (reboot this, upgrade that) and then accepted it in Dec 2018, sent in for repair Jan 2019, dispute Jan-Feb-Mar 2019, returned to me a few days ago.

The warranty is for two years, and they don't dispute that it was under warranty when notified or when it was sent in for repair.
      Last edited by BatteryDrain; 14th March 2019, 19:17:PM.

Comment

Apparently average smart phone only lasts two to three years so probably not worth claiming under CRA 2015 as you might only be awarded 1/3 rd of value

If you are proposing to pursue this through the courts, and it is a warranty they are breaching your cause of action is breach of contract, and you should state that in your letter
        I also think need to state more clearly what you require i.e. repair or refurbished phone or refund, and the letter should be headed "letter before Action"

Comment

Thanks for the advice.

I have edited the draft in response to your advice (the changed section is bolded).

I have mentioned breach of contract, stated what I want and I have also removed the bit about loss of use as it is excluded under the warranty.

I should point out that the phone was purchased from Amazon, but my claim is against the manufacturer under their warranty.

Comment

So send and see what response you get.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X