• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Small Claims Company Name Advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Claims Company Name Advice

Hello

Any advice on this matter would be very much appreciated.

I am going to proceed with taking a car dealer to the small claims court for compensation for car repairs carried out as he refused to do so.

Now the only part i am confused about is when filling in the application i want to get the correct name to make sure there is no problems.

On the invoice i got when buying they have put lets say for example Whitehold car sales , on the signs on the four-court and the website is under Whitehold Cars.

But more importantly on companies house they are registered as Whitehold LTD,

So do i assume i take the companies house name of Whitehold LTD as the legal entity and this is who i pursue and could also add on trading as Whitehold Cars

The company has been active for 5 years and stock at the showroom is in the excess of £300,000 with most cars being over £30k each so its not a small startup selling your normal £500 cars they sell high end vehicles.

Any clarification would be great.

Thank you
    Tags: None

Anyone have an idea ?

Cheers

Comment

"Whitehold LTD trading as Whitehold car sales and Whitehold Cars" should do it.

Other may be along to assist.

Comment

If the Ltd Co are trading as XYZ, then the invoice from XYZ should so state.

Did the invoice include a VAT registration number?

Comment

Hi

Yes it does have a vat number they are using a logo that incorporates the company name followed by cars

Comment

Any company is legally required to put its registered office and company number on any business stationary, including invoices. So if the company is a limited co. then the company number should be stated on there.

I did a quick search of "Whitehold Ltd" and Companies House does not appear to show an active company by that name. The closest I have got to is White Holdings Ltd.

What company number is it showing on Companies House?
            If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
            LEGAL DISCLAIMER
            Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

You can do a VAT search against the company name to check who is invoicing you: https://www.smallbusinesspro.co.uk/tax/vat-numbers.html

Comment

"lets say for example Whitehold"

ROB ---- I do not think the true name was given.

Comment

Thanks for the advice

If you see the attached picture this gives you the company name without me actually writing it out. You can see the name it uses us not the name registered with companies house. So knowing the name i need to use is the correct legal entity.

Steve

Comment

The Ltd company ( the company house reg number is at the bottom of their website - should also be on their invoice etc ) and it's registered address seems to be the same as its trading address. Vat number is right company name but at the directors home address ( matches that originally on companies house ) so it all scans and you'd sue the company.

In your Particulars you can say something like

"The defendant, Whitehold Ltd trading as Whitehold Cars, is in the business of selling cars from its premises at xxxx address xxxx. "

Have you sent a letter before action ? ( that should also be addressed to the ltd company )
                    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                      The Ltd company ( the company house reg number is at the bottom of their website - should also be on their invoice etc ) and it's registered address seems to be the same as its trading address. Vat number is right company name but at the directors home address ( matches that originally on companies house ) so it all scans and you'd sue the company.

"The defendant, Whitehold Ltd trading as Whitehold Cars, is in the business of selling cars from its premises at xxxx address xxxx. "

Have you sent a letter before action ? ( that should also be addressed to the ltd company )

Thanks for your reply

Yes i have sent a letter before action which i put in the name of the ltd company and also the company with cars added just so cover myself.

Attached is the invoice so you can see the details i was given on the invoice after purchase.

It does not seem to include the company number but does contain Vat Number.

Obviously just want to make sure i am taking the right name to court but is clear to see he has added to the name for online sales purposes.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post

The letter before action deadline for his reply was today.

Tomorrow i will be submitting the claim via the online service so do you think i should put the companies house ltd company in the who i am taking to court box and then add in the details trading as etc etc like you suggested.

All the best

Comment

yes you need to add the t/a name

Comment

The only thing i want to make sure is in the box of who i am processing the claim against am i just putting the registered ltd company or also adding the trading name or leave that for the poc section

Obviously Amethyst has said to sue the company so assume its just the registered name i am putting.

Comment

But your invoices are from the t/a name so you need both to tie them together

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X