• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Can i sue the subcontractor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can i sue the subcontractor

I employed a company to install a system ...they sent 2 sets of workers both independant tradesmen ...it turns out 3 yrs down the line that the company has been dissolved and has failed to honour section 8.1 of the consumer code and take out required insurance to cover the system maintenance or faults that develop

The electrician did some of the work legally under his own certified trade cover and issued the relevant certificate after a complaint was filed to the trade body
    however the other part of his work he had no certification for and has not issued the required certification

it is this uncertified work which has been done incorrectly and in contravention of the manufacturers instructions that has led to £3000 in damage occuring and repairs needed

can i sue the electrician( i know he has PL insurance ) who is still in business ?......... since the actual company who engaged him to do the work on my property has conveniently dissolved their business
    Tags: None

Legally you have no contract with the electrician. The only contract you have is with the ''company''.

However, potentially you can sue for negligence, but you would need to see a solicitor about this as its a lot more than just proving that the electrician carried out work negligently. You have vicariously liability in this and even though the electrician himself did negligent work it could have been under the control and demand of the general contractor.
    The information I supply is provided for informational purposes only and, should not be construed as legal advice.

Comment

The company had several memberships with trade bodies all of whom are supposed to step in and protect me and he was required to take out insurance cover under section 8.1 of consumer code before he dissolved the company and he has told the trade bodies he has
      however the trade bodies are claiming that since he dissolved the company they have no responsibility

its the same with the trade body for the electrician who organised one certificate aftr i complained but claim they cant do anything about the other one as he did not have the required certification to do that work

these trade bodies are promoted as protection for consumers but as soon as theres problems they drop the affected consumer
      can i take action against them

Comment

What is 8.1 of the Consumer Code? As far as I am aware there is no such legislation called the Consumer Code.

It’s already been explained to you that your contract was with the dissolved company, not with the subcontractors. Just because a company goes under does not give you the automatic right to sue them - the company entered into a contract with the subcontractors to do the work for you and as you are not a party to that contract, you cannot sue them.

You can try to sue but you run the risk ofhaving the claim dismissed and potentially having to pay any of the subcontractors legal costs.
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
          What is 8.1 of the Consumer Code? As far as I am aware there is no such legislation called the Consumer Code.

It’s already been explained to you that your contract was with the dissolved company, not with the subcontractors. Just because a company goes under does not give you the automatic right to sue them - the company entered into a contract with the subcontractors to do the work for you and as you are not a party to that contract, you cannot sue them.

You can try to sue but you run the risk ofhaving the claim dismissed and potentially having to pay any of the subcontractors legal costs.
          Clearly total waste of time ever doing anything or believing anyone or the trade body they are a bunch of scammers

Comment

Trade Bodys - what a joke they are:- top to bottom all trades and regulators (Non)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X