• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

H2P2/Cohens Lloyds Overdraft- Claim Form Received.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H2P2/Cohens Lloyds Overdraft- Claim Form Received.

Hello all, Have received claim form for my old student account overdraft- think i have a game plan and would like your advice.

Name of the Claimant: Hoist Portfolio Holding 2 LTD

Date of issue: 04 JUL 2016

What is the claim for – the reason they have issued the claim? The claim is for the sum of £2300 in respect of monies owing pursuant to an overdraft facility under bank account number XXXXXXXXXXXXX.
    The debt was legally assigned by MKDP LLP (Ex Lloyds Banking Group) to the Claimant and notice has been served. The Defendant has failed to repay overdrawn sums owing under the terms and conditions of the bank account.
    1.The claimant claims the sum of £2300.
    2.Interest pursuant to s69 of the county court Act 1984 at a rate of 8.00 percent from the 12/08/11 to the date herof 1781 is the sum of £1892.92
    3. Future interest accruing at the daily rate of £50.00
    4. Costs

What is the value of the claim? £3500

Is the claim for a current account (Overdraft) or credit/loan account or mobile phone account?
    Student Account Overdraft

When did you enter into the original agreement before or after 2007? 2008

Has the claim been issued by the original creditor or was the account assigned and it is the Debt purchaser who has issued the claim.? Assigned to Hoist

Were you aware the account had been assigned – did you receive a Notice of Assignment? Don't recall getting any notice

Did you receive a Default Notice from the original creditor? Don't recall any notice

Have you been receiving statutory notices headed “Notice of Default sums” – at least once a year ? Cannot recall

Why did you cease payments? Had student overdraft, went over limit of £1500 only due to their charges. Had to withdraw from uni as mother dying and financial issues. Was unable to pay.

What was the date of your last payment? 2010 possibly

Was there a dispute with the original creditor that remains unresolved? No

Did you communicate any financial problems to the original creditor and make any attempt to enter into a debt management plan? No

Essentially, I was hoping this would reach stat barred limit. I did the wrong thing and hoped it would go away. I incurred this when in serious financial strife and only went over overdraft limit due to their charges.

I have acknowledged service and have drafted a CPR 31.14 request and am looking to mount a put to proof and your charges are unfair defence. I would also be happy entering into a reduced settlement for the actual amount of the overdraft limit, the rest being charges. would need to be installments ideally. Looking for more time and hopefully for them to go away because a) I am defending and b) they may not have the documents or alternatively to do mediation or negotiate a cheaper settlement. I dont recall getting a default notice or notice of assignment to Hoist. Also, who are MKDP- I had an account with Lloyds TSB- did they have a right to sell the alleged debt?

I have drafted the below CPR 31.14 request and made a low WOP offer. I would welcome your comments on advice on what to do. Will also post my defence and any response when I get it.

Dear Sirs,

Re: Hoist Portfolio Holdings 2 Limited v Mr X Y Claim Number: XXXXXX

Request for documentation pursuant to CPR 31.14

On 6th June 2016, I received a claim form in respect of the above claim and I have acknowledged service of the same to the court setting out my intention to defend the claim in full.

To enable me to file my defence and counterclaim, I require inspection of all documentation mentioned in your particulars of claim, ahead of me filing my defence on 5th August 2016. Please accept this letter as my request under CPR 31.14 for the disclosure and production of a true and legible copy of the following:

1) The terms and conditions of the alleged bank account and evidence these were signed by the defendant and the assignor of the alleged debt (viz. MKDP LLP)
    2) Evidence of the sums alleged to be owed under the terms and conditions of the alleged bank account including a full breakdown of the account such that the defendant can see how the amount claimed has been calculated. Where charges are alleged to have been made under the terms and conditions of the alleged bank account, the defendant requires the same to be fully particularised.
    3) The notice of assignment from MKDP LLP to the claimant such that the defendant can verify that the debt was a) legally owned by MKDP LLP and that b) it has been validly assigned to the claimant, including proof of postage to the defendant and documentary evidence in the form of signature receipt that the same was received by the defendant
    4) The statutory notice of default alleged to have been issued on 12/08/2011, including proof of postage to the defendant and documentary evidence in the form of signature receipt that the same was received by the defendant.
    You will doubtless be aware that in accordance with the provisions of CPR PD 16 para 7.3 where a claim is based on a written agreement, a copy of the contract or documents constituting the agreement should be served with the particulars of claim and the originals will need to be available at any hearing. Furthermore, any general conditions incorporated in the contract should also be so served.
    You will doubtless claim that since the sum claimed means that upon service of my defence the claim will likely allocated to the small claims track you have no obligation to disclose the documentation requested. At this time, the claim has not been allocated to a track and I have not served my defence and as such the provisions of CPR 27(2) do not apply and you should not seek to rely upon it to avoid compliance with your CPR 31 duties.
    To ensure the same, you should ensure that the documentation requested is received by me within 7 days of receipt of this letter. Your CPR 31 duties extend to making a reasonable and proportionate search for the originals. Further, where I have requested a copy of a document, the original of which is now in the possession of another person, you will have a right to possession of that document if you have mentioned it in your case. You must take immediate steps to recover and preserve it for the purpose of this case.
    Where I have mentioned a document and there is in your possession more than one version of that same document owing to a modification, obliteration or other marking or feature, each version will be a separate document and you must provide a copy of each version of it to me. Your obligations extend to making a reasonable and proportionate search for any version(s) to include an obligation to recover and preserve such version(s) which are now in the possession of a third party.

In accordance with CPR 31.15(c) I undertake to be responsible for your reasonable copying costs incurred in complying with this CPR 31.14 request.
    If you require more time to comply fully with this request you must inform me in writing within seven days of receipt of this letter. In your letter, you must include details of the steps you have taken and propose to take in order to fully comply with my request and particularise a date on which you will be able to comply. Your letter must further include a statement that you agree to an extension in the time allowed for me to file my defence. Any extension of time must not be for any period of time of less than 14 days and must particularise the new date for service of my defence.
    In the event that you cannot comply with this request and believe that you will never be able to comply with it, you are required to inform me in writing by way of a notice of discontinuance of proceedings.
    In the event, you neither comply with my request, nor request additional time to comply or grant additional time for me to file my defence, it is my intention to apply to the court for an order for specific performance of this request and that the proceedings be struck out should you be unable to comply. This order will include a provision that the claimant will bear the defendant’s costs.
    without prejudice to the aforementioned, and entirely without prejudice to the question of liability, in the alternative, I am willing to make a payment in full and final settlement of the claim.
    The terms of this offer are that the defendant pays the claimant the sum of £500.00, consisting of a £200.00 lump sum, and six subsequent monthly installments of £50.00. If intending to accept the offer, the claimant will do so in writing and issue a notice of discontinuance of proceedings in writing to the defendant and inform the court of the same. Once the sum of £500.00 has been paid, the claimant shall enter a partial settlement entry into the defendant’s record with credit reference agencies.
    Failure to accept the above offer, will result in the claimant being put to strict proof of each and every allegation in its particulars of claim. If the claimant intends to enter into negotiations regarding a full and final settlement, the defendant will entertain reasonable counter offers made in writing.
    I look forward to hearing from you.
    Tags: None

Re: H2P2/Cohens Lloyds Overdraft- Claim Form Received.

Good morning xx

I note you have posted this over from CAG - are you getting help over there ? - I just ask as sometimes help from different sites can get a little confusing as we tend to have slightly different ways of dealing with things ( our letters aren't so long to begin with )

You sound like you are on top of things - you've acknowledged the claim and sent off a (extensive) CPR request which is great. So you now have to around 4th/5th August to sort out your defence to the claim.

So you had a Student Account with an overdraft of £1500. You last used the account in when you left Uni and the balance rose to £3500 with banking charges and interest. Do you have any banking statements from that time ? ( if not you should ask the bank for copies, or send a subject access request to them to find out how much was charges and how much spending / interest )

In your CPR 31.14 letter you have added in a section offering to pay £500 ( £200 upfront then £50 a month thereafter) - presumably you are thinking about a Tomlin/Consent order settlement, so the claim is held in court while you make the payments thus avoiding a CCJ. Have you already sent that or is it a draft ? Really you should keep those separate so the offer can truely be made without prejudice.

Lloyds would originally have sold the debt ( assigned it) to MKDP - and they then did the same to Hoist - therefore there should be two assignment notices in your documents ( if you ever get any)

On the time barred issue - if you stopped using the account in 2010 then it is unlikely to have been closed immediately - and unless there were specific terms on the account giving the bank the right to terminate if you don't make payments in/out over a certain period, it could have sat building charges until they decided to default in Aug 2011 - I think that will be deemed the date of the cause of action unfortunately, so less than 6 years ago.

Anyway let us know where you are currently at with this xxx
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X