• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Enforcing a judgement in default. Advice needed on next steps.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enforcing a judgement in default. Advice needed on next steps.

Over the last 4 months I have been a litigation in person against an ex girlfriend that owed me some money.

To cut a long story short, I lent her (the defendant) £5000 for the purchase of a new car, her plan was to pay me back the money monthly initially and then pay the remaining amount off with some inheritance she was getting from her family.

Unfortunately a few months later we broke up, but she still continued to make the payments up until about 12 months ago when she had some surgery. After this surgery the payments were rather irregular and despite her promising to make the missed payments, she failed to keep to her promise. She kept telling me that her wages were enough to cover the payments but just tried ignoring any correspondence I made with her.

In January I took her to court though the MCOL process and she ignored all correspondence from me and the courts. Now I know she lives at the correct address because I visited her house before I started the application for the MCOL process, as I wanted to give her the final opportunity to settle the outstanding money or setup an affordable payment plan. She told me should would pay the money back and gave me all the dates that the payments would be met, but she never made a single payment.

On the 18th of April the defendant will get a judgement entered in default, but I want some advice on my next steps. I want to maximise the impact and get the money back!

I was considering these options:

1) Originally I was going to obtain a warrant of execution, but there appears to be no value items in her household, except possibly from a 2 year old VW up that may or not be on finance. I thought this was probably the most aggressive route that may get the money back.
    2) Attachment of earnings - not sure where she works, so I would have to request an order for information, but I am concerned that she will ignore any requests for this information and hence I won't get any money back.
    3) Third party debt order to freeze the assets in her account, again not sure of any bank account details etc. Again, I have the same problem as above where I do not know her bank or employment details.

If I go for option 1) and goods in her house do not cover the value of the debt, can I then request an order for information that would allow me to apply for an attachment of earnings?

As you can imagine from my summary above, she is very vindictive and thinks she can get away with not paying off the debt.

I would appreciate an advise to my next steps please. By the way I have no legal experience so I am hoping everyone on this forum can help me.

Thanks,

James
    Tags: None

Re: Enforcing a judgement in default. Advice needed on next steps.

Hi James & welcome to LB

Another option would be to put it in the hands of the Sheriffs (High Court Enforcement Officers) if over £600.
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Hello. Thanks for your email.

I had not thought of using the sheriffs. I know there is a fee that you pay up front, but I cannot see any mention of any commission they take for the money collected? If I go down this route how much is it likely to cost me, if they successfully recover the debt?

Thanks for your help.

James

Comment

I believe that any charges that the sheriffs make are added to the amount that is in the judgement.

Comment

If you say that she has no goods worth seizing then using a HCEO is as pointless as getting a Warrant for the County Court Bailiff. If you are sure she is working then an Attachment of Earnings will be your best bet because if she fails to return the Forms then she can be summonsed to explain why & could be found in Contempt if her explanation is not plausible. As you have found out, just because you have Judgment does not guarantee you will ever get paid - depends on how much you want to shell out for different applications.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X