• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

pra group (uk) ltd v johnpb39

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pra group (uk) ltd v johnpb39

@nemesis45
    hi nem
    thanks for advice to start new thread to avoid confusion.
    ok then here goes with the details for this claim
    Received a claim? Yes
    Issue Date: 21 Mar 2016
    Amount approx: £5000approx
    Claimant: PRA Group (uk) Ltd
    Solicitor: None
    Original Creditor: MBNA
    Particulars of Claim: claim form attatched
    Is the debt Statute Barred? No
    List any letters you have sent: Aos submitted on 29 Mar 2016

The background to this claim is as follows.
    I did have a mbna credit card a long time ago (an agreement start in 2006 is very likely to be correct) but as explained in another thread relating to a seperate issue I had a really tough time a few years back and although I am for the most part on top of and back on track with my finances I am still trying to deal with any remaining problems, that I have either overlooked, forgotten about or didnt know existed,

The default date (30/7/2011) stated on the poc would seem to fit into the timeframe of my financial problems starting (although I dont have any of the old paperwork relating to my old mbna account so cant confirm the exact date of last payment/correspondance to mbna but am almost sure it was early/mid 2011 )

I have checked my file on noddle though and PRA group are on there and it looks like they have been reporting this account since oct 2012(which is a few months after the date its claimed aktiv Kapital was assigned the debt) PRA claims the debt was assigned to them on 31/12/14
    I did not receive any notice of either assignment which they say were sent to me!)

In Jan 2013 I received a letter from Aktiv capital, it wasnt an assignment notice or anything even similar, it was just a letter asking for payment infull or stating i could use a discount voucher they had attatched to settle the debt for a reduced amount!!
    I had no idea who the company were or what the alledged debt was in relation to and there was no information in the letter(eg original creditor/any account numbers ect) so in feb 2013 I sent a cca request letter and said I did not acknowledge any debt to them.
    They responded saying they were putting collection process on hold until they could supply documents needed to comply with my request (i have attatched a copy of that letter to this post) after that I heard nothing more about this debt until this claim arrived,!

Although over past few months I have been bombarded with calls and texts from PRA asking me to contact them about my account but as I didn't call them back as I didnt have any knowledge of having an "account" with them and assumed if it was legitimate I would be getting something in writing from them anyway(which I didn't)!

aktiv Kapitals letter in response to the cca request sent in 2013 said that the agreement was with "varde experto" but in the poc it states the agreement was with "mbna" am i right in guessing they are one in the same????

.................................................. .................................................. .
    i have acknowledge the claim online but I'm a bit unsure about what to do in regards to a cpr letter as they dont appear to have a solicitors acting for them as the name and address in both boxes are the same, so I'm assuming they have some sort of internal team dealing with it, so am wondering if i send a cpr request to the claimant or does it only apply to claims where a solicitor is acting on the claimants behalf?

I have a cca letter drafted ready to go though but just wanted to ask whether i should/need to send it or is the fact i sent one to aktiv Kapital, which is still outstanding due to their non-compliance, enough?

my sincere thanks to you again for all your help.

Attached Files
    Tags: None

Re: pra group (uk) ltd v johnpb39

Hi johnpb39

FYI

March 2012 - AK purchased an MBNA debt portfolio - was serviced by Experto Credite.

July(ish) 2014 - Portfolio Recovery Associates (PRA) acquire AK + £261.3m of the company's (alleged) debts.

Steve Fredrickson, chairman, president and chief executive officer at PRA Group: “Leading banks and other creditors in Europe and Canada see value in a well-capitalized buyer of non-performing debt with a strong brand and reputation for compliance, able to purchase substantial portfolios on a regular basis.”
    “We plan to leverage unique technology, data analytics and more than 20 years of experience in multiple countries, regions and cultures for the benefit of global banks, creditors, their customers and our shareholders.” (July 2014)

http://www.credittoday.co.uk/article...pital-complete
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

@nemesis45

hi nem
      sorry to trouble you but wasn't sure if you had seen that i started a new thread.
      please would you be able to take quick look for me if and when you have a min plz
      Last edited by johnpb39; 1st April 2016, 13:01:PM.

Comment

Originally posted by johnpb39 View Post
        @nemesis45
        hi nem
        thanks for advice to start new thread to avoid confusion.
        ok then here goes with the details for this claim
        Received a claim? Yes
        Issue Date: 21 Mar 2016
        Amount approx: £5000approx
        Claimant: PRA Group (uk) Ltd
        Solicitor: None
        Original Creditor: MBNA
        Particulars of Claim: claim form attatched
        Is the debt Statute Barred? No
        List any letters you have sent: Aos submitted on 29 Mar 2016

The background to this claim is as follows.
        I did have a mbna credit card a long time ago (an agreement start in 2006 is very likely to be correct) but as explained in another thread relating to a seperate issue I had a really tough time a few years back and although I am for the most part on top of and back on track with my finances I am still trying to deal with any remaining problems, that I have either overlooked, forgotten about or didnt know existed,

The default date (30/7/2011) stated on the poc would seem to fit into the timeframe of my financial problems starting (although I dont have any of the old paperwork relating to my old mbna account so cant confirm the exact date of last payment/correspondance to mbna but am almost sure it was early/mid 2011 )

I have checked my file on noddle though and PRA group are on there and it looks like they have been reporting this account since oct 2012(which is a few months after the date its claimed aktiv Kapital was assigned the debt) PRA claims the debt was assigned to them on 31/12/14
        I did not receive any notice of either assignment which they say were sent to me!)

In Jan 2013 I received a letter from Aktiv capital, it wasnt an assignment notice or anything even similar, it was just a letter asking for payment infull or stating i could use a discount voucher they had attatched to settle the debt for a reduced amount!!
        I had no idea who the company were or what the alledged debt was in relation to and there was no information in the letter(eg original creditor/any account numbers ect) so in feb 2013 I sent a cca request letter and said I did not acknowledge any debt to them.
        They responded saying they were putting collection process on hold until they could supply documents needed to comply with my request (i have attatched a copy of that letter to this post) after that I heard nothing more about this debt until this claim arrived,!

Although over past few months I have been bombarded with calls and texts from PRA asking me to contact them about my account but as I didn't call them back as I didnt have any knowledge of having an "account" with them and assumed if it was legitimate I would be getting something in writing from them anyway(which I didn't)!

aktiv Kapitals letter in response to the cca request sent in 2013 said that the agreement was with "varde experto" but in the poc it states the agreement was with "mbna" am i right in guessing they are one in the same????

.................................................. .................................................. .
        i have acknowledge the claim online but I'm a bit unsure about what to do in regards to a cpr letter as they dont appear to have a solicitors acting for them as the name and address in both boxes are the same, so I'm assuming they have some sort of internal team dealing with it, so am wondering if i send a cpr request to the claimant or does it only apply to claims where a solicitor is acting on the claimants behalf?

I have a cca letter drafted ready to go though but just wanted to ask whether i should/need to send it or is the fact i sent one to aktiv Kapital, which is still outstanding due to their non-compliance, enough?

my sincere thanks to you again for all your help.

Hello John, responding to your PM.

All these amalgamations, mergers in the UK debt " industry" make understanding who owns what very confusing.

CCA request as before PO marked " For Statutory Fee Only " on both sides photocopy and keep for your records. Use signed for post check delivery date and signature and print off a copy.

No Solicitors it seems so CPR addressed to the Legal Department at PRA under separate cover also by signed for post.
        Send all to PRA.

nem

Comment

If it is of any help, I know a couple of people who had MBNA cards from around that time and they were totally incapable of supplying either an actual agreement or a recon.

Can you remember how you applied for the card, online or via a written application. It could be relevant when it comes to supplying the agreement

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X