• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

statute barred debt ??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• statute barred debt ??

hi could any body please help me
    myself and my wife took out a joint loan in 2008 however due to illness we were unable to fullfill our payments.
    in february 2009 we were sent a default notice stating that all arrears were to be paid by march 2009 and we didnt comply with this
    however we managed to make a few more payments on the account even though it was still in arrears and in default
    the last payment we made was 16th august 2009
    we recieved court proceedings for a ccj on the 20th september 2015 our defence was we think that this debt is statute barred however they say as another default notice
    was sent to us in november 2009 that means that this debt was not statute barred at the time they issued court proceedings and that they are writing to the court
    to have our defence struck out
    can they issue a default notice even though the account is already in default ??
    and could some body please help me and tell me when and if this debt is statute barred and when please
    Tags: None

Re: statute barred debt ??

If you remedied the original default by making the payments then you might not be statute barred - but otherwise if you were defaulted as you failed to pay the amount asked for the bring the account up to date, then your last payment in August would have been the date for the limitations period starting, but it is close, if you remedied then missed the September payment then the date that payment was due could be the date for statute barring.

It will have fallen off your credit file I suppose?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

yes it has gone off my credit file
      however even though we made a few token payments the account was never brought up to date so to my knowledge it was still in default
      or am i completely wrong

Comment

one more thing amethyst it says on your post you are the site owner
        if so congratulations on a great site !!

Comment

Originally posted by browny101 View Post
          yes it has gone off my credit file
          however even though we made a few token payments the account was never brought up to date so to my knowledge it was still in default
          or am i completely wrong
          Nope you're not wrong. You can argue it in court I think if if defaulted and you made a couple token payments and the cause of action would have been the default, and limitations would be from date of last payment - so august 2009.

Would you be able to post a copy of what you filed as your defence pls ( don't worry if it's very basic )

If they are talking about applying for summary judgment then we should reply to their letter - could you post a copy of that too pls... take a photo and cover up names/addresses etc and upload here or email it to me admin@legalbeagles.info

( and thank you for the kind comment xxx)
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

hi and thank you once again we only filed our defence as "we believe this debt is statute barred" they have filled in a form saying request for judgement and reply to admission
            they have ticked the box saying i have not filed an admission or defence even though we have) and have asked for us to pay immediately i am going to try and email you copies of the letters and application if thats ok do i need to blank things out if i email them ?

Comment

Completely up to you, I recommend it for sending anything to someone you don't know, particularly financial docs, I could be a romanian scammer for all you know ( I'm not, but you know what I mean) - Yes it's fine lol.... admin@legalbeagles.info - I will have to look in the morning though as I am almost done in for today xxx
              #staysafestayhome

Comment

i have sent them please let me know if you can read them ok
                as you can see they are relying on the fact that they sent a default notice in october asking for arrears to be paid by november as november being the onset of the limitation period
                even though the account had been in default since march

Comment

Got them, and can read them fine. I'll reply better tmw but all looks completely fine and you can work on a witness statement to send to the court before the hearing. Your letter to them disagreeing with their interpretation of the Limitations Act looks good too xxx

I will just suggest you get a CCA request sent off now as back up http://legalbeagles.info/forums/show...y-of-Agreement
                  #staysafestayhome

Comment

they have sent me a copy of cca thanks

Comment

Hi amethyst thanks for the great advice I received a letter today saying they were withdrawing their claim however would it be possible for me to make a claim against them for time and litigation costs
                      Anything goes received would be donated to charity

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                      X