• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

**DISCONTINUED***County Court Claim from Lowell/Bryan Carter re Lloyds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: County Court Claim from Lowell/Bryan Carter re Lloyds

[MENTION=6]Amethyst[/MENTION] no agreement received. Default date shows as June 2009. As it's my husband's debt and he has never checked his credit file I have no idea if it's still on there or not but the summary they have sento definitely says date of default is June 2009. It's not clear enough to make out the exact date though...

Comment

I don't think you'll have a problem and they'll discontinue on receipt of your witness statement.... and are just trying it on now with the £2.5k offer. I have a couple bits to do first but think we can strengthen your witness statement based on what you have ( or haven't) received.
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Titania1980 View Post
        we just got an email from Lowell offering a settlement for £2500.
        Is that "offer" from Lowells headed Without Prejudiced Save As To Costs? And does it give you a deadline to accept or the offer will be withdrawn?

If you decide to reply you should head your letter WP so if things go wrong at the hearing (hopefully not) the DJ won't know you rejected an offer which would have been lower than the amount claimed. Although costs in the Small Claims Court are not normally awarded to either party win or lose, when there has been an offer rejected it can become an issue if they decide to go after Wasted Costs.

If there's no deadline for response you may wish to wait until you file your WS and are served with their WS. Depending on what they say/disclose in their WS you may even want to invite them to Discontinue at the same time as rejecting their offer

You're hearing is listed for 27th March so the deadline for your WS is possibly next Monday(?).

Di

Comment

[MENTION=87380]Diana M[/MENTION] it's an email with the subject line of "Urgent-upcoming hearing" and no other headers. They have given a deadline of 12pm on the 10th March but nothing about the offer being withdrawn...
          "In relation to the upcoming hearing, please find enclosed a copy of the:

§* Notice of assignment from Lloyds;

§* Notice of assignment from the Claimant;

§* Statement of account; and

§* Account summary from Lloyds.

In light of the above, and with a view to resolving the claim out of court, we would be willing to consider an out of court settlement of £2,500.00. We would also be willing to consider an affordable repayment arrangement.

You are welcome to obtain your own independent advice on this. Free advice can be obtained from the Citizens Advice Bureau, and paid advice can be obtained from a solicitor.

Please contact us by 12pm 10 March 2017 to confirm your position on this.

We look forward to hearing from you"

This is what they have sent.

- - - Updated - - -

WS deadline is 14th march

Comment

Just double checked and it shows the last successful payment they took was actually November 2008!!

- - - Updated - - -
            @nemesis45 default date is showing June 2009
            The problem is the SB " clock" stops on the date a claim is issued, a debt must be stat barred on or before a claim was issued.
            Check dates carefully.

nem

Comment

[MENTION=55034]nemesis45[/MENTION] last payment was in November 2008, default was June 2009 and claim was issued September 2015 so definitely seems to be stated barred

Comment

@nemesis45 last payment was in November 2008, default was June 2009 and claim was issued September 2015 so definitely seems to be stated barred
                Good it's often down to just days determining if a debt is statute barred or not.

nem

Comment

@nemesis45 last payment was in November 2008, default was June 2009 and claim was issued September 2015 so definitely seems to be stated barred

is this a loan agreement? I ask because on the first post you wrote

"Is the claim for a current account (Overdraft) or credit/loan account or mobile phone account? Loan account

When did you enter into the original agreement before or after 2007? After (2008)"

If it is a loan account then how long was the term of the loan? If it was say 4 years then the loan expiry date would be 2012 so unless you can provide the default notice and letter of early termination it is likely the court would determine that the start date for the purposes of limitation would be at the end of the loan term. and therefore in my example the loan would not be statute barred until 2018.

Comment

So I have just had a proper look through what they've sent and it seems that the original loan was actually taken out in 2007, not 2008 as we first thought. I don't know if this makes a difference as I know this was a question when I first posted as to whether it was before or after 2007. We don't have any notice of default or letter of early termination as documentation was being sent to the incorrect address until last year. My husband can't remember the original term of the loan and the claimant & their solicitors have refused to provide any documentation until today.

Comment

So I have just had a proper look through what they've sent and it seems that the original loan was actually taken out in 2007, not 2008 as we first thought. I don't know if this makes a difference as I know this was a question when I first posted as to whether it was before or after 2007. We don't have any notice of default or letter of early termination as documentation was being sent to the incorrect address until last year. My husband can't remember the original term of the loan and the claimant & their solicitors have refused to provide any documentation until today.
                      [MENTION=9135]Titania1980[/MENTION]

Does this loan appear on your credit files?

The start of the relevant 6 year period could depend on the terms and conditions which may well state when /how the account can be defaulted/terminated.

nem

Comment

[MENTION=55034]nemesis45[/MENTION] we checked hubby's credit file last night and this loan is not showing at all. No default or anything. As it was solely in his name it wouldn't appear on mine as it was before we were together.

Comment

@nemesis45 we checked hubby's credit file last night and this loan is not showing at all. No default or anything. As it was solely in his name it wouldn't appear on mine as it was before we were together.
                          No mention of Lowell at all?
                          nem

Comment

No, nothing. Nothing negative showing at all.

Comment

No, nothing. Nothing negative showing at all.
                              Well that demonstrates that more than 6 years have elapsed since the account was defaulted, the entry can never be put back.

Personally I would collate all the known events by date to confirm for yourselves that on the balance of probabilities the debt was statute barred when the claim was issued, then act on that.

nem

Comment

The information they have sent shows a default date of June 2009 and the claim was issued in September 2015 so it certainly seems to be stat barred. The have been no payments or acknowledgement of the debt since 2008 so from my understanding we would start the 6 years from the date of default. Unless I'm seriously misunderstanding!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X