• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Court Caste Lowell/Bryan Carter - Worried sick

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Court Caste Lowell/Bryan Carter - Worried sick

It is usually 14 days before, and it SHOULD be in the hearing notice ( usually on the second page hidden in lots of text) - and yes likely it was 17h Sept so Lowell would have been late too.

Definitely ring the court and tell them you didn't know about the witness statement and didn't have any notice that you needed to do one, but you put one in on the 25th September by hand, after you'd received one from Lowell on the 18th. Worth a shot speaking to them xxxxxxx
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Spoke to the court. Basically I have 2 options.

I can write to the district judge and he can make a recommendation but there's no guaranteeing the timeframe that he'll do this in; i could end up in a position where BC/Lowell could enforce the judgment.

Alternatively I could file to set-aside, but I'm not sure what I need to do for that. If anyone has advice or info on filling N244 I'd love it if you could let me know,

Comment

I've just read that with an N244 the application to set aside has to be given if there are grounds to believe that the defendant has a solid defence. Can someone please confirm that for me? I'm going out of my mind here!

Comment

Originally posted by illustriousmuz View Post
          I've just read that with an N244 the application to set aside has to be given if there are grounds to believe that the defendant has a solid defence. Can someone please confirm that for me? I'm going out of my mind here!
          There are cases where the court must set aside the judgment and others where it has discretion. The mandatory grounds would be if the debt had been paid in full or if default judgment had been obtained even though you had acknowledged service and/or filed a defence within the timescales. The court may agree to set aside a judgment when there is a viable defence.

You may want to look at this post for full details about the N244 and what else you need to attach to it such as your witness statement, draft order and draft defence. Do take a look and post up any questions: http://legalbeagles.info/library/how...-judgment-ccj/ :thumb:

Comment

My concern is that they judge looking at the set aside application would simply dismiss it on the grounds that i've supposedly not read the court instructions properly. I will admit that I've apparently missed something somewhere but the only paperwork I have has a date for a hearing on it only. I assume I've simply misplaced the second page but I can't be sure.

I was hoping that I could say that I did not see that my witness statement was required, (since I'd filed a defence and the lack of documentation from the claimaints pretty much meant my original defence stood), and that I only put together a document after receiving a witness statement from BC - which itself did not arrive at my house until the 18th putting them out of time. However, speaking to the court it seems that they filed it with the court on the 16th, clearly sent special next day delivery, so whether they'd believe me is another thing altogether.

My hopes are pinned to the fact that the Claimants have failed to provide information under the CPR/CCA guidelines and therefore the claim shouldn't stand. Alternatively, the lack of a DN or a date should also raise concerns.

Comment

My concern is that they judge looking at the set aside application would simply dismiss it on the grounds that i've supposedly not read the court instructions properly. I will admit that I've apparently missed something somewhere but the only paperwork I have has a date for a hearing on it only. I assume I've simply misplaced the second page but I can't be sure.

I was hoping that I could say that I did not see that my witness statement was required, (since I'd filed a defence and the lack of documentation from the claimaints pretty much meant my original defence stood), and that I only put together a document after receiving a witness statement from BC - which itself did not arrive at my house until the 18th putting them out of time. However, speaking to the court it seems that they filed it with the court on the 16th, clearly sent special next day delivery, so whether they'd believe me is another thing altogether.

My hopes are pinned to the fact that the Claimants have failed to provide information under the CPR/CCA guidelines and therefore the claim shouldn't stand. Alternatively, the lack of a DN or a date should also raise concerns.
              My personal feeling is that your defence had a reasonable chance of success but due to confusion ( which is not uncommon with inexperience litigants in person) your witness statement was late, + the point that you mention non compliance with a CCA request means the debt was at that point unenforceable put forward asap to the court should hopefully get the summary judgement reversed.

nem

Comment

I'm going to work on the witness statement for the N244 tonight. I'll mention the failure to comply with CCA and that the witness statement timing was an oversight got which I am deeply sorry.

Reading the link flamingParrot posted just before it seems like I should apply to BC to agree to the set aside? Or can I just apply without consulting them? I'd highly doubt that shower would agree anyway

Also, should I make any requests to stop Lowell BC from enforcing judgement or will that be automatic one the n244 is submitted?

Comment

I'm going to work on the witness statement for the N244 tonight. I'll mention the failure to comply with CCA and that the witness statement timing was an oversight got which I am deeply sorry.

Reading the link flamingParrot posted just before it seems like I should apply to BC to agree to the set aside? Or can I just apply without consulting them? I'd highly doubt that shower would agree anyway
                  Yes put it to Carter in the same terms, a suggestion that has been successful a few times when over sights have
                  left LIP's at a disadvantage copy the letter to Andrew Bartle the Chief Operating Officer at the Lowell Group
                  hes was the " head of collections" for years and knows what can happen.

nem

Comment

Thanks nem. I probably edited my last post while you were replying. When/if I do make the N244 application do I need to request an order to prevent bc/Lowell from enforcing it?

Also, when I write to BC to request their agreement how long should I give them to respond? I only ask because it seems the court don't look to favorably on people filling them a couple of weeks after the judgement and I.don't want them running the clock down to waste time to make the judgement enforceable.

Do you really think they'd be willing to set aside though?

Maybe I'm being dumb but what could potentially happen that Andrew Bartle would want to avoid?

Comment

• Re: Court Caste Lowell/Bryan Carter - Worried sick

Thanks nem. I probably edited my last post while you were replying. When/if I do make the N244 application do I need to request an order to prevent bc/Lowell from enforcing it?

Also, when I write to BC to request their agreement how long should I give them to respond? I only ask because it seems the court don't look to favorably on people filling them a couple of weeks after the judgement and I.don't want them running the clock down to waste time to make the judgement enforceable.
                      Time sale Within 7 Calendar days fom the date on your letter.
                      Just ask the court to review the judgement on its own authority ( meaning without a hearing)

nem

Do you really think they'd be willing to set aside though?

Maybe I'm being dumb but what could potentially happen that Andrew Bartle would want to avoid?
                      Bartle has the authority to instruct Carter.

nem

Comment

Sorry, one more question, if they agree to the set aside application, do I still have to pay the fee?

I doubt they will anyway since they've been nothing but an absolute shower since they got in touch with me

Comment

If the court accepts the judgement was " unfair " there would be no fee.

nem

Comment

Did you ever receive any paperwork from the court requiring you to file a witness statement? If not, you couldn't have been expected to file one.
                            As previously stated, most banks do not retain copies of DNs, however, they do issue them, so a judge may find that, on the balance of probabilities, there would have been a DN. Some DNs are defective but you'd need to have your own copy to be able to establish that.

Being in breach of a s.78 CCA request is, however, a bar to enforcement and this should definitely be a key point in your defence. :thumb:

Comment

Originally posted by FlamingParrot View Post
                              As previously stated, most banks do not retain copies of DNs, however, they do issue them, so a judge may find that, on the balance of probabilities, there would have been a DN. Some DNs are defective but you'd need to have your own copy to be able to establish that.
                              Exactly. And since I don't have a copy I can only go by what they've said in their witness statement which is that the account fell into default, not defaulted, on the 2nd October 2013 and a notice was sent at that time. Which then puts them in breach of s87 of the CCA by selling/disposing of the account to Lowell

Comment

Exactly. And since I don't have a copy I can only go by what they've said in their witness statement which is that the account fell into default, not defaulted, on the 2nd October 2013 and a notice was sent at that time. Which then puts them in breach of s87 of the CCA by selling/disposing of the account to Lowell
                                Credit agreements generally allow the creditor to pass/sell/assign an delinquent account when they see fit even if not actually defaulted as we see with many PDL debts.

nem

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X