• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Alliance & Leicester Suing For Overdraft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alliance & Leicester Suing For Overdraft

Morning All,

Some here will know me from other areas of this site and will know that I have been fighting battles with several organisations since I became unemployed last August. Hopefully, I believe I have now secured a well-paid new role which will make things easier. Unfortunately, I am still quite a few weeks away from getting my first pay-packet even if I get the role. This means that I still have to deal with the Vultures that are circling and waiting for their chance to attack.

Lately, I have started receiving threats from Alliance & Leicester wanting to 'recover' the overdraft I have on that account. The letters they have sent me have all been of the nature whereby I cannot respond as they provided telephone numbers of which I could not get past their security due to them 'terminating' my account (though many letters did not even contain a telephone number at all). It culminated this week when they sent a 'final demand' for me to repay £2425.85.

This total is made up completely of bank charges due to my not having any income to pay into the account. When I first informed them that I was unemployed my account was still within the agreed limit. They sympathised at the time and even took some measures due to the circumstances ... or so I thought.

This latest letter threatened legal action if the debt was not repaid within 7 days - they sent the letter the day before Good Friday. With Good Friday and Bank Holiday Monday, the reality was that they had actually only given me two days to respond.

Given that they had backed me into a corner, my reaction in these situations is to always come out fighting. So, I have sent a strongly worded letter back to them AND copied the FOS with my response to Alliance & Leicester. At the end of the day, it may only serve to be a delaying tactic, but I will be damned if I am going to simply roll-over and comply to their wishes - especially as I dispute the level of the bank charges they have levied AND because those charges have come about as a result of their incompetence. Hopefully, my going on the offensive is the last thing they will be expecting and it will catch them somewhat off-guard.

I'll have to wait and see what response they come back with and what the FOS have to say about this matter. However, if it helps anyone else, then below is the letter I sent to them which hopefully will make them think again before they harass me further.

If anyone has any comments on the letter I wrote, then please feel free to reply. I have removed all personal references from the below letter.

Dear S. Watts:

Account Number: XXXXXXXXX

I have read, with interest, your letter of 20th March 2008. In particular, I have noted the serious and threatening tone of the letter which I find totally unnecessary, condescending and unprofessionally handled.

In response to your letter, I would like to make the following statements of fact:

1.In August 2007, I found myself unemployed for the very first time in my working life. Thus I no longer had an income which could be paid into the Alliance & Leicester account I held with you.

2.By September 2007, with no new employment on the horizon, I contacted Alliance & Leicester Customer Services BEFORE my account went over limit to inform of my unfortunate circumstances. The representative sympathised with my situation and downgraded my account from Premier Plus to the standard Premier account. I was also asked not to use the account further until monies were paid into the account and informed that all Direct Debits and Standing Orders from the account would be stopped. In compliance with those instructions, I have not once used the account since.

3.In March 2008, unfortunately I remain unemployed.

4.Since September 2007, not once have I used the account nor have I tried to withdraw funds from the account.

5.In the same period since September 2007, Alliance & Leicester have continued to process Direct Debits and Standing Orders from my account despite the assurances that these have all been suspended. I informed many of these organisations of the status of my account but it took some time for many of them to process the stopping of these requests. This has resulted in a chain reaction of ever increasing bank charges.

6.That the account is now £2425.85 overdrawn is due entirely to your grossly inflated charging system (which bear no resemblance to the true costs to the bank) and the fact that you continued to process Direct Debits and Standing Orders, despite stating that you would not. Therefore you have now charged me almost £2000 in charges despite knowing that I have no income to pay into the account with which to remedy the situation.

7.The last few letters I have received from you have beggared belief. Those letters either contained no telephone number on which to contact you, or when they have contained a telephone number, that I am unable to access it because due to your terminating my account I am unable to get past your security. Therefore, the telephone numbers supplied are completely useless to me.

8.I found it interesting, as I am sure will the Financial Ombudsman Service, that your last letter arrived in the post on the 22nd March 2008 (having been sent on the 20th March 2008) stating that I have seven days to remedy the situation or face action from your Debt Recovery Services. You surely knew that the 21st March 2008 was a Public (Bank) Holiday and therefore that I would not receive the letter until the 22nd March 2008 at the very earliest. You also surely knew that 24th March 2008 was also a Public (Bank) holiday and that I would be unable to respond to your letter until 25th March at the very earliest. Therefore, you sent the letter demanding action within seven days, KNOWING that in reality this meant that I had only TWO days in which to respond. As you have TERMINATED (your words, not mine) my account, I have no way of getting through your Security to actually speak to someone over the telephone. Neither am I able to access my account online for the same reason.

9.I currently have a total household income of just £750 per month (my wife’s wages) on which to feed 3 children, pay household bills (gas, electricity, water, council tax etc) and try to keep a roof over my head (a battle which I am losing). The Government and the DWP (in their wisdom) deem me ineligible for Child Tax Credits due to my earnings in 2006-2007. The same rule also applies to Working Tax Credit of which my wife is ineligible to claim. This means that we are currently living several levels below what the Government designates as the poverty line.

10.Given that our total household income is just £750 per month, would you kindly explain to me where I am supposed to find the £2425.85 that you believe I owe you (and which I dispute), especially in seven (two) days ?

11.Our financial matters have been handed over to a Debt Management Company called the XXXXXX XXXXX XXXXX. You can expect to be contacted by these people soon concerning our finances.

12.Since you appear to have decided to place our account in the hands of your Debt Recovery Section (which I assume means I will soon be contacted/threatened by a Debt Collection Agency) to begin legal proceedings against me, then you are now also legally obliged to provide me with a FULL breakdown of EVERY charge you have levied on my account, including the dates of those charges. Due to the timescales you are placing on me, I will expect that breakdown to be supplied to me within the next SEVEN days. If you do not, then I will hold you responsible for with-holding information, something which is illegal under the Data Protection Act. This is especially true with legal action pending as I have a right to all information with which to defend myself.

13.I, like many thousands of dis-satisfied UK banking customers AND the Office of Fair Trading, believe your inflated charges violate the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contract Regulations. You will be aware that this is a subject currently being ratified through the High Court by the Office of Fair Trading with several leading high street banks. A decision is currently expected from Mr Justice Andrew Smith in July 2008. A decision I will be watching with interest.

14.Pending the outcome of the OFT Test Case in regard to the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contract Regulations (most learned opinion appears to be expecting a decision in favour of the OFT), your threatened action against me is leaving me with no choice other than to potentially file a counter-claim through the County Courts against you for the repayment of the unfair charges. As I am currently unemployed, then I am aware that it will not cost me anything to file such a claim through the County Court System. We also both know that all such current claims are subject to being STAYED pending the outcome of the OFT Test Case.

15.A copy of this correspondence will also be supplied to the Financial Ombudsman Service for their records so that they may record the unfair and derogatory way in which you treat customers in my position. It will also clearly demonstrate how you seek to blatantly profiteer from the misfortune of people who are in no financial position to be able to defend or rectify a situation.

I appreciate that the ‘credit crunch’ is having severe repercussions on financial organisations such as yourselves, but that does not give you the right to ride roughshod over your customers.

I had high hopes of the Alliance & Leicester to whom I transferred my current account banking back in June 2007. Unfortunately, I do not have a crystal ball and therefore cannot see into the future. Had I been able to do so, then maybe I could have foreseen being made unemployed. Maybe I would also have realised how appallingly poor the customer services of the Alliance & Leicester is and how they treat those in financial hardship with such disdain.

I have held a savings account with Alliance & Leicester for many years, since the time it was still a Building Society. This was part of the reason why I chose to transfer my current account to the Alliance & Leicester. I expected better. How wrong I was.

I will await your response of this matter and I am sure that the Financial Ombudsman Service will also have a view on the derogatory way you have treated me. In particular, I am sure they will be most interested to hear that you have been sending me threatening letters which contain telephone numbers that are of no use to me whatsoever.

Yours disgustedly,

Re: Alliance & Leicester Suing For Overdraft

Excellent letter Jester....you've spelled out the situation concisely and without 'raging'.

You have an extremely strong case against Alliance and Leicester, I am sure you will receive strong support from the FOS.

I will look forward to seeing their response. Good Luck.
    "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

As celestine says, great letter Jester. You are to the point without rambling and without raging. I hope it has a positive outcome for you.

Best wishes,
      Hod..Liam...
      Borrow money from a pessimist -- they don't expect it back.

Comment

I don't entirely agree.

I cannot understand how you can have standing orders and direct debits paying out from September 2007 until today (6 months later) when you have asked for them to be cancelled. You could have re-requested their cancellation as soon as the next one left your account, after your initial request for cancellation. Indeed, you could also cancel DDs and standing orders yourself, online, using A&L's internet banking service and see online that they had not been cancelled as per your request.

I don't understand your inability to speak to anyone at A&L. If you telephone A&L's standard contact number, and fail to correctly pass security, you will get through to a human being. How do you reckon that you were locked out from this by "your account being terminated"?

Copying random letters to the FOS isn't an effective way of dealing with them. You need to exhaust the bank's complaints procedures - which I would have expected you to have done by now, 6 months after your initial problems - and then complain to the FOS once deadlock has been reached. Copying letters to FOS prior to deadlock is a waste of time as they won't have a case file and won't have anything they can do with the copy letter.

You claim that
        The Government and the DWP (in their wisdom) deem me ineligible for Child Tax Credits due to my earnings in 2006-2007. The same rule also applies to Working Tax Credit of which my wife is ineligible to claim.
        This is wrong and therefore doesn't help your argument. If your income falls, you should notify HMRC and they will re-assess your claims for CTC and WTC immediately, based on your revised prediction of income in the current tax year. Given that we are within a week of the end of the tax year, you should by now have had a significant amount of money in back tax credits.

The discussion of the legality of the charges is irrelevant. Your complaint should be that you asked them to cancel your standing orders and direct debits, and they failed to do so. Any overdraft ensuing is resultant from that error, and any charges following from that error should be refunded as part of correcting the error The amount of those charges is irrelevant as (according to your narrative) you shouldn't have incurred them anyway. But the whole argument about A&L's error in this regarded is brought under severe suspicion as a result of you allowing the situation to continue for a long time, for no apparent reason

Celestine's positive wishes are fine; I don't personally agree that FOS (when the case is eventually properly raised with them) will see it as "cut and dried". My essential issue with the case is that there was no reason for an error re cancellation of DDs to lead to thousands of pounds of overdraft or charges because it could, and should, have been picked up by you, as the customer, immediately and corrected at the time, with any consequent charges refunded.

Perhaps if you can better explain why that didn't happen, our understanding will be improved.

Complaints contact details for A&L are here: http://www.alliance-leicester.co.uk/...age=complaints on their website.

Comment

Hey Jester

Did you receive statements on this account in the period from September to now ?

Was the account set up to be solely online banking ?

also
          11.Our financial matters have been handed over to a Debt Management Company called the XXXXXX XXXXX XXXXX. You can expect to be contacted by these people soon concerning our finances.
          Who are you using ? PM me if you like.

Just checking...

Also Argen is right about WFTC and CTC - have you contacted them with the change in circumstances ? ............however i do understand you not doing so if your annual income overall will be above the limit - ie if you earnt over the 40k odd limit up to September (which would be nice rather lol) they wouldnt pay out from september to april.

Thanks

Ame
          xx
          Last edited by Amethyst; 26th March 2008, 17:56:PM.
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

By "Premier Plus" I presume that Jester means Premier Direct, which is 100% online statementing. (I think the name changed quite a while ago to Premier Direct). But when the account was downgraded to Premier, presumably it reverted to paper statementing - I don't think you can opt out of paper statements on Premier.

Comment

Ahh right...my thinking being if the account was paper and he didnt receive any statements he wouldnt have known that these DD's and SO's were constantly bouncing and incurring charges - after all he had quite correctly cancelled them all and downgraded the account, and stopped use of it to his knowledge when his circumstances changed. He wouldnt be aware of this until the first of the letters chasing him for the £2k odd that seems to have built up.

Oh also Jester - I wouldnt waste too much energy having a go at A&L, just go through the complaints procedure. You dispute the charges should ever have taken place, the overdraft is made up of them and the amount is disputed. If they want to take you to court more fool them IMO.

It is an error on their part that the DD's & SO's were allowed to continue incurring charges, your argument isnt really anything to do with the amount of the individual charges, just that they should never have been charged at all.

Of course, you have the back up of the penalty charges level argument if A&L refuse to accept they shouldnt have been charged at all.
              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Amethyst, would not the companies that the DD's were to have written as they had not got the money? Or the person/organisation on the standing order?

Comment

could they argue the idea of statement checking, ie took so long to bring it to the attention of the bank?

Comment

Jester contacted the companies and made the alternative arrangements with them.

I presume after the first couple of months where things were going through that shouldnt have, the rest of the charges were overdraft fees ?
                    #staysafestayhome

Comment

argentarius, can I ask for you opinion on the fact they said not to use the account even though there was a overdraft facility in place and being used, because that would surely have started the initial action, ie a dormant account within the overdraft?

Comment

To Jester, did they say that they had cancelled all Standing Orders and Direct Debits?

Comment

Originally posted by Nattie View Post
                          To Jester, did they say that they had cancelled all Standing Orders and Direct Debits?
                          Originally posted by jester
                          I was also asked not to use the account further until monies were paid into the account and informed that all Direct Debits and Standing Orders from the account would be stopped.

#staysafestayhome

Comment

I tend to agree with argentarias on one aspect that I think is important, the details of that call or any notes made on the account as the issue of your employment and regular payments. They need to investigate that issue alone. I am not sure if the actual call itself is likely to exist, but a log as to what screens would have been accessed should be for auditing purposes.

Comment

amethyst we are on semantics on that quote. imho, point 4 contradicts point 2

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X