• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Court claim for overdraft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Court claim for overdraft

Originally posted by FlamingParrot View Post
    Looks like they did not respond to your defence within 28 days in which case the claim will be stayed.

You are assuming correctly. :thumb: They wouldn't have any information themselves and are relying on the original creditor to supply it as and when. :

I'd give them a couple of weeks or so. There are various approaches here, you may want to look at this thread, although the wording would obviously need amending: http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...139#post494139 As that's a letter as opposed to an application, there would be no fee involved. If you need to make an application then there would be the usual application fee involved, currently £155.
    Here is a letter which I have drafted to write to the court. Its for a Current Account Cabot/Restons have not provided me with contract stated in the POC or Terms & Conditions. I have been refunded for the charges by the OC in full recently after making a complaint to FOS after receiving the court claim.

FAO: Court Manager - Case Ref: XXXXXX

The claim was issued on 22nd July 2015 and defence submitted on 17th August 2015. The Claimant has failed to respond to the Defence and the case has now been stayed.

The Defendant respectfully asks the Court to exercise discretion on its own initiative under CPR 3.2 and PD3A(1) to strike out the claim form.

I have stated in my defence that my understanding of the claim is that it regards payments due under a Current account contract/agreement. Despite repeated requests, no further information has been received from the Claimant.

In the absence of proper information, the Claimant was unable at the time of issue to formulate a claim against me and has issued the claim in an attempt to prevent the limitation period expiring. The claim is therefore an abuse of process.

As the time has now expired for any further statement of case on behalf of the Claimant, I ask that following CPR 3.2 and PD3A 2-3 1 the claim be brought to the attention of a judge to consider a strike out of the claim form on the following grounds:

Pursuant to CPR 3.4(2)a the Claimants statement of case does not contain all the facts necessary for the purpose of formulating a complete cause of action and therefore discloses no reasonable grounds for bringing a claim.

Further or alternatively, pursuant to CPR 3.4(2)b it is an abuse of process to issue a claim form in the absence of knowledge of any basis for a claim, and in circumstances where the claimant is unable to formulate a claim at the time of issue. In the circumstances of this case, the Claimant has no reasonable grounds or evidence upon which to serve the claim form.

Further or alternatively, pursuant to CPR 3.4(2)b it is an abuse of process to issue a claim form which the Claimant is not entitled to enforce.

Further or alternatively, pursuant to CPR 3.4(2)c in the absence of any identifiable cause of action, the claim form does not contain a concise statement of the nature of the claim and is therefore a failure to comply with CPR rule16.2(1)a.

Alternatively I invite the court to exercise discretion on its own initiative under CPR 3.2 and PD3A(1) to strike out the claim form.

Yours sincerely

Comment

It's worth a try and if it works, it should save you the £155 application fee.

Comment

It's worth a try and if it works, it should save you the £155 application fee.
        Unfortunatley the letter did not work. Just considering if the £155 court fee will actually work.......

Comment

Originally posted by pawlik View Post
          Unfortunatley the letter did not work. Just considering if the £155 court fee will actually work.......
          What was the response from the court?

Comment

What was the response from the court?
            The court wrote back saying that if you wish to get the case struck out then fill the N224 form with the £155 fee.

Comment

The court wrote back saying that if you wish to get the case struck out then fill the N224 form with the £155 fee.
              Hello Pawlik,
              A suggestion write to the claimants solicitor and " suggest " that as their client is clearly unable
              to carry forward the claim as it has no documentary evidence that the alleged debt exists they
              should advise their client to withdraw the claim forthwith in the interests od saving costs and court
              time.

nem

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
                Hello Pawlik,
                A suggestion write to the claimants solicitor and " suggest " that as their client is clearly unable
                to carry forward the claim as it has no documentary evidence that the alleged debt exists they
                should advise their client to withdraw the claim forthwith in the interests od saving costs and court
                time.

nem
                I sent letter to the solicitors asking their client to withdraw their claim. They have written back after a month saying apologies for the delay but they are still waiting for documents from their client after 4 months!!!!!

Comment

I sent letter to the solicitors asking their client to withdraw their claim. They have written back after a month saying apologies for the delay but they are still waiting for documents from their client after 4 months!!!!!
                  OK it may need threatening to apply for a strike out.
                  4 months is to prolonged.

nem

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
                    OK it may need threatening to apply for a strike out.
                    4 months is to prolonged.

nem
                    I resent the same letter to the court this time by recorded delivery. I have been sent a N244 form to fill in with a £50 fee. The issue I have is that I wrote a letter to Restons asking them to withdraw otherwise as their client has been unable to provide the documents and I may apply for strikeout with costs. Is this letter giving notice?
                    My understanding is that £50 fee is only when no notice has been provided to the other side.
                    Restons will not withdraw as their client are still waiting for the documents from original creditor. Shall I fill in the n244 form with £50 fee?
                    Last edited by pawlik; 19th December 2015, 17:48:PM.

Comment

You can try but the court might come back and say you require a hearing. It is a bit airy fairy whether the £50 and £155 are with notice/without notice or with consent/without consent or even with a hearing/without a hearing.

4 months is too long and the claimant set the timescales so I think an application now would at the very least get an order to produce the documents within a sensible timeframe ( like 14 days).
                      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                        You can try but the court might come back and say you require a hearing. It is a bit airy fairy whether the £50 and £155 are with notice/without notice or with consent/without consent or even with a hearing/without a hearing.

4 months is too long and the claimant set the timescales so I think an application now would at the very least get an order to produce the documents within a sensible timeframe ( like 14 days).
                        The solicitors have written to me to apologise for the delay as they are waiting for a 3rd party and there is no prejudice with claim being stayed. On the n244 form do I ask for strike out or unless order? This has now been dragging on for 5 months now and I am keen to get this resolved.

Comment

I'll give [MENTION=6]Amethyst[/MENTION] a shout.

Comment

Hello Reading.....

Ok, it is completely up to you. They should not have bought the claim without the correct documents and you have given them warning you will be filing an application due to non compliance witht he CPR 31.14 request - so I think you should do it. There's some help with that http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...order-at-court but post up as you go through it as it's been a while since anyone had gotten around to doing an application. It could drag on for months otherwise, you do risk them suddenly locating the documents and avoiding a strike - but on the other hand they might just pull out or the court might strike them out. No guarantees either way really so it is a gamble, but in my mind it's better than watching the letterbox for months on end.
                            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hello All
                              I have managed to save the fee for the N244 form and will require assistance in completing the form.

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                              Hello Reading.....

Ok, it is completely up to you. They should not have bought the claim without the correct documents and you have given them warning you will be filing an application due to non compliance witht he CPR 31.14 request - so I think you should do it. There's some help with that http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...order-at-court but post up as you go through it as it's been a while since anyone had gotten around to doing an application. It could drag on for months otherwise, you do risk them suddenly locating the documents and avoiding a strike - but on the other hand they might just pull out or the court might strike them out. No guarantees either way really so it is a gamble, but in my mind it's better than watching the letterbox for months on end.

Comment

Get your particular's in order, they'll try to throw, out your case, as your particular's are not by CPR 31.14 but if you have good information to prove, ie Oliver Foster Burnell case. Unfair term's in consumer contract regulation's etc, breach of contract, etc etc etc, put load's of law's, you have a good case. Also contact Howlett Clarke Solicitor's and people. On hear and never give up you can and want to win, never back down. And hope for the best, i want you to win your case, good luck, and all the best.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X