• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Court claim for overdraft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Court claim for overdraft

Hello All,

I am worried and need some advice

I used to have a overdraft with a bank since 2004 which was closed down due to the bank charges taking me over the agreed overdraft limit. I agreed a payment plan via a debt charity with the bank but the account was sold on to a debt collector. For a few months I was paying them the debt collector agency, I stopped paying after making a subject access request to the bank to find that the notice of assignment with the bank letterhead was not issued by the bank. I then made a CCA request for the overdraft which the DCA have stated that it is not valid for current accounts. I made a request for letter of determination which was also rejected. Statements have been supplied

The debt collection agency have now filed a court claim against me which I have acknowledged to defend. I do not want to go to court as this default will drop off my credit file in 2 years time. Is there anything I can do?
    Tags: None

Re: Court claim for overdraft

Originally posted by pawlik View Post
    Hello All,

I am worried and need some advice

I used to have a overdraft with a bank since 2004 which was closed down due to the bank charges taking me over the agreed overdraft limit. I agreed a payment plan via a debt charity with the bank but the account was sold on to a debt collector. For a few months I was paying them the debt collector agency, I stopped paying after making a subject access request to the bank to find that the notice of assignment with the bank letterhead was not issued by the bank. I then made a CCA request for the overdraft which the DCA have stated that it is not valid for current accounts. I made a request for letter of determination which was also rejected. Statements have been supplied

The debt collection agency have now filed a court claim against me which I have acknowledged to defend. I do not want to go to court as this default will drop off my credit file in 2 years time. Is there anything I can do?
    Hi Welcome to LB.

The issue of a claim stops the Statute Barred Clock on the day it's issued.
    A CCJ will remain on credit files for 6 years from the date of the judgement.

It is correct there is no regulated agreement for a current account/OD.

What made you think that a the NOA with the banks heading justified stopping payments?

To clarify an NOA can be sent either by the creditor and/or the debt purchaser, and as
    these debts are sold in huge portfolio lots many creditors authorise the debt purchaser
    to send DN's NOA's on their behalf is accepted practice and has no impact on the debt
    or the claim now issued.

The creditor (bank) would have issued a Demand for Immediate Repayment In Full and then A Final Demand for payment .

What is the statement /particulars of claim (POC)?

Either post a redacted copy of the NI claim form or type it verbatim here please.

When exactly did your payments cease?
    Which Bank?

Which company now owns the debt?

nem
    Last edited by Kati; 11th August 2015, 09:12:AM.

Comment

Hi Nem and thanks for your response. The bank was HSBC, the dca is Cabot and Restons are the solicitors. Last payment was made in November 2014 after I got SAR documents from HSBC

The POC states

The claimant claims payment of the overdue balance due from the Defendant(s) under a contract between defendants and HSBC bank dated on or about August 2005 and assigned to the claimant on March 2014.

Account number/sort code
      Default balance
      Total £3000

Comment

Can somebody please help me? Would it be wise to make an offer of settlement as I want to avoid a ccj?

Comment

Hi Nem and thanks for your response. The bank was HSBC, the dca is Cabot and Restons are the solicitors. Last payment was made in November 2014 after I got SAR documents from HSBC

The POC states

The claimant claims payment of the overdue balance due from the Defendant(s) under a contract between defendants and HSBC bank dated on or about August 2005 and assigned to the claimant on March 2014.

Account number/sort code
          Default balance
          Total £3000
          Ok Is the " contract" the only document mentioned in the POC?

Who is the claimant?
          Which solicitors issued the claim.

nem
          Last edited by Kati; 11th August 2015, 09:07:AM.

Comment

Hi nem "contract" is the only thing mentioned in the POC. Claimant is Cabot and Restons are the solicitors. CPR request is being posted this week.
            Last edited by pawlik; 27th July 2015, 12:54:PM. Reason: Error

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
              Ok Is the " contract" the only document mentioned in the POC?

Who is the claimant?
              Which solicitors issued the claim.

nem
              Hi Nem the word "contract", account number /sort code and default balance are the only things mentioned. Cabot are the claimants and Restons the solicitors. CPR request will be posted this week.

Comment

Hi Nem the word "contract", account number /sort code and default balance are the only things mentioned. Cabot are the claimants and Restons the solicitors. CPR request will be posted this week.
                My guess is Reston will attempt to decline the CPR request as this is an OD but they have stated contract so it's worth pushing this when they to respond.
                nem

Comment

My guess is Reston will attempt to decline the CPR request as this is an OD but they have stated contract so it's worth pushing this when they to respond.
                  nem
                  Hi nem,

Thanks for your response. I will send the CPR end of this week and will wait for their response.

Comment

Hi nem,

Thanks for your response. I will send the CPR end of this week and will wait for their response.
                    I'll forward to hearing the response!!

nem

Comment

I'll forward to hearing the response!!

nem
                      I got the following response to the CPR request

You would have been provided with a copy of the contractual T&C's at the time the account was opened and hence we see no reason why you now require an additional copy.

Comment

nem
                        It is true that a CCA request does not apply to current accounts, however, that's no reason to decline the CPR request which is not related to the Consumer Credit Act but the Civil Procedure Rules which say that a party may inspect a document mentioned in a statement of case. Requests are most commonly declined arguing it'll go to small claims. :mmph:

I got the following response to the CPR request

You would have been provided with a copy of the contractual T&C's at the time the account was opened and hence we see no reason why you now require an additional copy.
                        That's utter rubbish, the reason lies in the CPRs themselves: http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/pro...s/part31#31.14
                        Documents referred to in statements of case etc.

(1) A party may inspect a document mentioned in –
                        (a) a statement of case;
                        Although rather sparse, their statement of case mentions 'a contract' and 'assignment', therefore you have the right to inspect these documents as noted above.
                        Last edited by Kati; 11th August 2015, 09:08:AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FlamingParrot View Post
                          It is true that a CCA request does not apply to current accounts, however, that's no reason to decline the CPR request which is not related to the Consumer Credit Act but the Civil Procedure Rules which say that a party may inspect a document mentioned in a statement of case. Requests are most commonly declined arguing it'll go to small claims. :mmph:

That's utter rubbish, the reason lies in the CPRs themselves: http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/pro...s/part31#31.14

Although rather sparse, their statement of case mentions 'a contract' and 'assignment', therefore you have the right to inspect these documents as noted above.
                          Thanks for the quick response flamingparrot.... Where do I go from here then?

Comment

If you've still got time before your defence is due, you may consider replying to their letter saying that you are entitled to inspect any documents mentioned in the particulars of claim and quoting the rule I mentioned above. I'd also say that they should have been in possession of the documents they intend to rely on before issuing a claim. You could also add that you need the documents to prepare your defence and, since they haven't provided them, you would like them to agree to a 28 day extension as allowed by CPR 15.5, to file your defence.

See what they say, if they still refuse to comply and your deadline approaches, you can submit the generic defence based around not having received any documents. :thumb:
                            Last edited by Kati; 11th August 2015, 09:08:AM.

Comment

Reply to Reston.

Sir /madam

I refer to Your letter dated........... in response to my request made under the provisions of Civil Procedure Rule 31.14 foe inspection of the documents mentioned in the particulars of Claim No..............:

I am sure you are quite aware that CPR31.14 remains applicable to this claim until it is actually allocated to the small claims track therefore I will expect too receive the documents by return of post.

Restons is also reminded that it should have in its possession the documents to support the claim prior to issuing a claim.

Signed for post pawlik.

nem
                              Last edited by Kati; 11th August 2015, 09:09:AM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X