• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Nationwide

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nationwide

I have now had a Notice of Hearing in the County Court in 3 weeks time. I have heard nothing from Nationwide in the meantime, so presumably they think they have a strong enough case, but why did they get 2.5 months to respond when I only had 30 days (and as I understand it, so did they) do they have a different stream into court that means they can ignore dealines, but I can't? Is it still worth trying to get a strike out from the court??
    Thankyou for all the advice

Comment

Have you checked the notice of hearing fully for any directions to submit documents/witness statements to court ? Is this the hearing of their request for summary judgment or another application ? or the standard court hearing of the claim ? 3 weeks is quite short notice really.
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

I received the notice of hearing whilst I was on leave, and actually got to read it when I got home on 7th October, my fault, just trying to cope with a lot at the moment. It says if I am submitting documents I need to make sure that they have all details on them, which is obvious. Do I just put together all my documents again, can I still ask for a stay (They took 2.5moths to reply to the court. I have documentary proof that Nationwide ignore my financial instructions, which was also part of my defence, how much do i need to send, its making my very worried all this

Comment

Does it say what the hearing is for ? does it mention application ? ( so the summary judgment stay lift application ?) and does it give a date by which you need to submit your documents?

Do we have a copy of your defence on here?
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
            Does it say what the hearing is for ? does it mention application ? ( so the summary judgment stay lift application ?) and does it give a date by which you need to submit your documents?

Do we have a copy of your defence on here?
            It doesn't say what the hearing is for, but they have allowed an hour
            No date set to submit documents
            It doesn't mention application

Defence below

24thApril 2015
            My Problems with Nationwide began on 8th January 2003, when the receiver of a credit transfer for £10,417.82 that I had requested to be made was discovered to be fraudulent. I rang Nationwide and was told by the call centre that the payment would be stopped, and the money refunded. I followed up the call centre instruction with a written instruction to Nationwide the same evening using the Nationwide internal e-mail system. (1, Copy Attached) The next day I went to the branch, the cashier who had arranged the transfer was not available, but I was then told by the manager that it was impossible to recall a Swift Transfer. I continued to try to get this recalled, and have since found out that Nationwide would have had a record of a recall, so it would appear that despite being made aware by a phone call and email, plus visiting the branch , this recall wasn’t carried out, my specific written instructions were ignored.

Had the stop request been actioned as instructed, I would not have lost my money. This was fraud, Nationwide did not report the fraud to HSBC (The issuing bank) 2! but subsequently I discovered that HSBC, have a bad reputation for working with laundered money. In my opinion Nationwide should have taken action against HSBC to recover my money.

Despite requesting meetings to discuss Nationwide’s attitude to my loss, I have never managed to get a meeting, and the most recent request was turned down by their solicitor. Due to my heart attack, I have not been able to work to the level that would be required to pay off my credit card, however I have made payments every month as agreed with Nationwide. The Claim Form issued by Shoosmiths stating that NO payments had been made since 30/09/2013, this is a lie, the latest payments were made by credit transfer on 31st March and 14th April. (and have been paid monthly by standing order every month

I wrote to Nationwide specifically requesting that they didn’t continuously phone me chasing payment at all hours of the day and night and weekends, this request was ignored, and I subsequently complained of harassment at work, we have recently established e-mail correspondence. I have made an itemised list of correspondence between myself and Nationwide, and the delay in responding to my letters can be clearly seen. The telephone number given for contact at Shoosmiths offices is in fact incorrect, and would be the reason for not getting a reply from Shoosmiths from 17th March, when I telephoned and left a message, which was to try and arrange a meeting with Nationwide and Shoosmiths, the next thing I received was the court documents.

At all times I have replied to all requests in a timely manner, sadly this is not the case with Nationwide or Shoosmiths, their reply letters are very slow, in fact they took 2 months to find a copy of the original credit card agreement, despite 3 letters from myself requesting that the information be supplied in 10 days on 3 separate occasions. The County Court Claim form arrived before the letter from Shoosmiths. My requests for a meeting to resolve the situation out of court have been turned down by Shoosmiths, I have attached a copy of my latest request 3. I have made an itemised list of correspondence between myself and Nationwide, and the delay in responding to my letters can be clearly seen. The telephone number given for contact at Shoosmiths offices is in fact incorrect, and would be the reason for not getting a reply from Shoosmiths from 17th March, which was to try and arrange a meeting with myself, Nationwide and Shoosmith
            I trust that this clarifies why I don’t consider that I owe Nationwide any money, rather that they owe me money, they have been extremely persistent in chasing me for money, but were not interested in getting my money from a fraudulent transaction via HSBC

Comment

Hi Amethyst,

I have just arrived home to a letter with an enormous bill for legal fees from Nationwide's solicitor, I am a little aghast to put it mildly as they haven't won the case yet, its due next week, how can they send this, can I send a bill for my costs??I was under the impression that costs weren't awarded, and these costs seem to be somewhat excessive considering what they are claiming. I need some advice as to how to proceed correctly, I note that there is a claim fee, and a summary judgement fee, and £1570 of legal charges, I wish I could make this much money. My argument is still that Nationwide failed to report a fraud, which caused me to lose money, I had an agreement that I would pay them a monthly amount, which I have done, even though its more than I can afford. Should I send my declaration of earnings as part of my defence??

Comment

I have now had a chance to look at the statement of fees breakdown from the Claimants Solicitors, and they are charging for a Summary judgement fee, could this hearing be for summary judgement? The court documents don't mention it.

Comment

I attended the hearing which as it turns out was an application for my defence to be setaside/ignored, however the court hadn't sent me the documents that they should have done. The other side asked for expenses/costs, and the whole frustrating event was wrapped up with an adjournment. i have submitted a new defence, but with the new documentation that may be nullified by the additional documents. The other side seem to be spending an awful lot of money, yet the judge hasn't agreed to costs uyet, is she likely to??

Comment

Dear Amethyst,
                    I realise that you are extremely busy, however I would be most grateful for your opinion, I also want to speak to a lawyer, do you have any recommendations in Northampton??
                    Kindest regards
                    Toadie1953

Comment

I have now received another letter from the claiments, asking me to withdraw my defence even though they have belittled it, and made incorrect factual statements. I also filed for the claim to be struck out after getting the money together. Why are they so keen that I withdraw my defence if they are so convinced that they will win?? They have now offered to have a phone conversation as the cost of a meeting is too high, whats going on?? I am awaiting the court papers for a reconvened hearing

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                      X