• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Received a court claim (Bryan/Lowell)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Received a court claim (Bryan/Lowell)

Hi, before on another thread I spoke about my father receiving phone calls and texts from Bryan solicitors. I told him to ignore it as they didn't state his name or anything. Now he just received a court claim from them represented by Lowells. I know all the documents and payment must be sent to Bryan. The debt is about a orange contact debt that was bought and I spoke to my dad and now he remembers their is a debt to orange he had 2-3 years ago. So I assuming it relates to that. I read through some of the forum pages and I know I have to acknowledge the service but I should submit the admission form then and follow the procedure? or do something else? The debt is £1035. I know he can't pay it now but I think he can do £100 monthly instalments. So should I contact them through post or contact them?

I hope anyone can give some advice on what my dad can do.
    Tags: None

Re: Received a court claim (Bryan/Lowell)

Originally posted by Tomii View Post
    Hi, before on another thread I spoke about my father receiving phone calls and texts from Bryan solicitors. I told him to ignore it as they didn't state his name or anything. Now he just received a court claim from them represented by Lowells. I know all the documents and payment must be sent to Bryan. The debt is about a orange contact debt that was bought and I spoke to my dad and now he remembers their is a debt to orange he had 2-3 years ago. So I assuming it relates to that. I read through some of the forum pages and I know I have to acknowledge the service but I should submit the admission form then and follow the procedure? or do something else? The debt is £1035. I know he can't pay it now but I think he can do £100 monthly instalments. So should I contact them through post or contact them?

I hope anyone can give some advice on what my dad can do.
    I realise your dad recognises the debt and admits he owes this money, however, do bear in mind if he submits the admission form the claimant can request judgment. :scared: An admission in civil procedure is the equivalent of pleading guilty to a criminal charge. That would mean a CCJ on record for six years. I would suggest the usual process of acknowledgment and stating intention to defend in full to start with, that gives him a maximum of 33 days from date on claim to file a defence. He could also send the CPR request to Mr Carter although not the CCA request because it doesn't apply to mobile contracts.

If your dad wants to settle this with Mr Carter, he could do so via a Tomlin order. The order stays proceedings as long as he keeps to the terms of the order (the agreed monthly repayments) so from a creditors' perspective it works much as an admission and judgment in that they get their money but there is no CCJ on record. They can, however, request judgment be entered if your dad doesn't keep up his repayments so it makes sense to make an affordable offer and back it up with his own income and expenditure statement (not the one on the admission form).

You will find some examples here: http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...221#post485221 :thumb:

Comment

Thank you for the reply. I don't believe my dad is planning on getting any credit anytime soon or at all and mum will mostly be dealing with finances. So the CCJ won't be too much of hindrance to him. Currently I think my dad can actually pay for the debt by borrowing from the family and I can lend some too. So should I try to make a settlement for him or should I follow the procedure of defending and asking for the paperwork? I definitely know I need to put it in writing that way they won't chase me up again for this debt. So should I contact them and then put it in writing of the terms of agreeing with the settlement on the grounds that they won't bother my dad again and then pay once they have agreed to the settlement?
      Last edited by Tomii; 28th June 2015, 14:58:PM. Reason: Added info

Comment

If my dad did go down the route of defending in full and try to request a CPR, what would be his defences if he knows there was a debt to orange.

Comment

Thank you for the reply. I don't believe my dad is planning on getting any credit anytime soon or at all and mum will mostly be dealing with finances. So the CCJ won't be too much of hindrance to him. Currently I think my dad can actually pay for the debt by borrowing from the family and I can lend some too. So should I try to make a settlement for him or should I follow the procedure of defending and asking for the paperwork? I definitely know I need to put it in writing that way they won't chase me up again for this debt. So should I contact them and then put it in writing of the terms of agreeing with the settlement on the grounds that they won't bother my dad again and then pay once they have agreed to the settlement?
          If my dad did go down the route of defending in full and try to request a CPR, what would be his defences if he knows there was a debt to orange.
          It would be rather unusual if they sent any requested documents within the time he has to file a defence, so it would be a generic defence based around no documents supplied.

It's mostly a question of buying time and highlighting the fact they issue claims without having any documents which is not how it should be. A settlement offer can be made at any time. If you are able to offer a lump sum settlement I'd try a reduced amount to start with. If they got their judgment it could take years for them to get their hands on the money, depending on how much your dad could pay every month, a bird in the hand... :thumb:

Comment

Ok, thank you. I know the original debt is at roughly £854.12 with interest at £51.53 so that added up to £905.65. Solicitor fees: £60 and Court fee: £70. Giving a grand total of £1035.65. I know my dad can get roughly £950 from borrowing from family and I can try to find the rest if needed. Oh is there a letter template for a settlement letter, that way they won't chase my dads up again in the future?

Again thank you for all your help. ^_^

Comment

You guys could look into settling via a Tomlin order, whereby he agrees to repay a certain amount in a number of instalments he can afford. The order has the effect of staying proceedings as long as he keeps to the terms of the order (the agreed repayments). That way they get their money but no judgment is recorded. You will find some examples here: http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...221#post485221

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X