• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Mortimer clarke saying agreement of termination date is acknowledgement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mortimer clarke saying agreement of termination date is acknowledgement

You could test them and ask them to clarify their argument, with a copy of the BMW case and an explanation of how it relates to your specific contract. No need to tell them you have a copy of the contract... it goes without saying that they would not have issued a claim without having sight the contract, of course, because that would imply their statement of truth was dishonest.

*coughs very hard*

Comment

Originally posted by thewalkinglark View Post
      They do have a copy of the contract as they sent me one with the statement they sent me
      In which case, in my very humble opinion, they are trying it on.

Comment

I’m having a look over the full BMW judgment, here. It may be more complex than I thought. Can you post up the rest of the contract? Need to do some like-for-like comparisons.

http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2012/1959.html

Comment

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgHope this is ok to read

Comment

Ah, a bit of reading...

Can you please advise:

1. When was a default notice issued?
            2. Did you hand the car back, or did they have to repossess (this could be the problem, though their contract wording remains equivocal)?
            3. Did the original creditor issue a termination notice and, if so, when?
            4. Did that termination notice come after repossession, and did it include all charges? I ask this because their contract allows them to claim ‘pre-estimated’ compensation – so no reason to delay a claim, possibly.

Comment

To the best of my knowledge as I don't have any paperwork as it was so long ago

1.dont know
              2. They repossessed the car but can't remember when
              3.dont know
              4.dont know

sorry this is vague but I don't have any paperwork as I say it was so long ago I think it all got thrown

would also point out the car was faulty but couldn't take back to where I got it as they went bust and that's why I stopped paying as I had warranty but the lender said it wasn't them to uphold the warranty was the garage but as they went bust I was left with a faulty car which should never should have passed the mot they gve me with it
              when they repossessed the car it was broke couldn't even be driven as the bloke who come to take it didn't even clamp it as it couldn't move but this all would be had to prove

Comment

Hi Responding to PM.

The BMW Finance - v Hart judgement in the Appeal Court concluded the "Cause of Action" was the point that the creditor could demand immediate payment in full from the debtor /hirer so one can take this as the date you received a Demand for Payment, or the default being issued.

It is my opinion and reasoning that he solicitors are wrong all fees/charges/ allocated to the account by a 3rd party have no bearing on the point that the alleged debt became statute barred.

nem

Comment

So is this agreement of termination date then something they have made up?
                  How should I reply to the letter about this bmw v hart so I state this is not the case and the debt is statute barred

thanks for looking

Comment

No I think not personally that MC are chancing their arm.
                    BMW - v Hart imo does not assist their case their Lordships concluded that the point when payment could be demanded in full was the start of the 6 year period.
                    Their claim that this is not the case and has no merit to my mind.

nem

Comment

is there any draft of a letter i could send back to them as i simply dont want to just say what you are stating is rubbish and its statute barred
                      also as this case is stayed and has been since end oct 14 how likely would they be to get the stay uplifted?
                      thank you

Comment

It seems that MC are chancing their arm here, hoping you
                        will capitulate.

There is no template for this scenario.

Given time I can draft a letter for you if you wish.

nem

Comment

If you could that would be great as I'm stuck what to do

Comment

Ok I'll get on that later today.

nem

Comment

Cheers can you let me know when you have done
                              thank you very much

Comment

Morning thewalkinglark.

I’ve been trying to hunt down a copy of the actual BMW contract referred to in the case law they’re quoting but unfortunately haven’t been able to find it. So I’d be tempted to stick by my earlier comments, that the clause in the BMW case (some of which is viewable in the BMW judgment) is specific to that case, and that contract alone.

There’s no similar clause in their contract as far as I can see – in my opinion they would be clutching at straws trying to claim that BMW is a generic judgment that works for their totally-different contract.

From their wording, they rely only on the provisions of the CCA. So they would have been able to issue a DN just after the first missed payment, and you would have had around 20 days in total to comply. So at a stretch, after one month and 20 days, they could have had in place the mechanism to enforce. They might have some argument to proceed, depending on what date in September they issued. In that respect it’s tight, but also very questionable. I doubt they’d want it tested in court.

Also, as mentioned, their contract allows them to pre-estimate losses, so they don’t have to wait – like BMW – to assess their loss. I think that works against them – they can’t have it both ways.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X