• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cabot Financial Carnage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabot Financial Carnage

Hello All
    I posted here back in Oct last year about some CCJ that our friends over in Cabot Financial and their gang, Restons had managed to get onto my file.
    Quick reminder: I bought sofas in 2008 under interest free credit, under the terms, unbeknownst to me, after the IF period was up, I was meant to manually transfer the cash over to Creation Finance as opposed to it being automatically being debited from my account which to me seemed like an obvious choice at point of sale because a) they took my bank details b) the salesperson didnt really explain to me the contrary.
    Fast forward 10 months, no money debited, despite a balance, and then a month later £78.77 debited and then again another month later.
    I called CF up and asked for an explanation which is where I found out what was going on. I told them that I had had no idea these were the terms, and then cut them a cheque for £1500 minus the 2 payments. I got a letter saying these were the terms and then I was locked in for 3yrs to pay 30% interest etc on the 1500.
    Fast forward....3 years (Jan '13) and Creation Finance have said that I'm in default on my record (I dont think they sent me a default notice but I am checking that). In the meantime I had sent them a couple of letters saying that I wasn't in default because a) the terms weren't made clear to me and b) I have paid off the principal 3 years ago.
    Jan 14 debt has been sold off a couple more times and now I get a letter from Restons to my old address which I didnt receive until April saying their intention to go to court etc. I didn't see this (old address) and by the time I find out, the judgement has happened and I have a nice CCJ on my account - d'oh.
    Its now July '14 and Im losing my mind.
    I applied to have judgement set aside, went to Court and in my application to set aside mention that I paid the principal back in Jan 2010, which I also sent to Reston's who then deem they wont come to the hearing and the judgement is now gone - yayy.
    Now, I have a paper hearing because they're still claiming that interest charge of £1300 from me which Creation Finance would have received had I done the 3year term of loan etc.

My question is, do I have any possibility of a Statue Barred defence based on the fact that I have never acknowledged that I owe them for the amount that theyre claiming which is wholly interest on a loan that I paid off admittedly 3 months after it was due and with two debt service payments (the 2 direct debits), but still paid off?
    My current plan (I am submitting my reply to their statement this week) is to base my defence on the relationship was unfair under S140 of CCA, but as of yet, I cannot find precedent nor clause which would help me to say that since I paid the principal on the loan 5 years ago, their claim for 3y interest is a joke.

Any ideas??

Re: Cabot Financial Carnage

Originally posted by ankarir View Post
    My question is, do I have any possibility of a Statue Barred defence based on the fact that I have never acknowledged that I owe them for the amount that they're claiming which is wholly interest on a loan that I paid off admittedly 3 months after it was due and with two debt service payments (the 2 direct debits), but still paid off?
    There should be 6 years without payment or written acknowledgment at the time the claim was issued. The clock would have stopped at the time they issued a claim.

Comment

D'oh, cant use that then, as I paid the principal off in Jan 2010.
      Is there any other defence I can try use? My actual reason was that I didnt know and frankly the contract was a little misleading. Even now, when reading it, it doesnt specify explicitly that I would have to make the payment rather than it being taken from my account but dont think this, in this form is particularly usable!

Comment

Did you make any payments during the " interest free period"?
        If you did not pay in full before the IF period ended you are/ will be liable
        for the interest on the account from day one.
        The loan IF free period depended on the full balance being paid
        by the end of the IF period not " 3 months after it was due". The loan was for XX years IF not Xx years + 3months.
        Cabot has by purchasing the account inherited the terms and conditions
        of the loan agreement.
        I reality you had a copy of the agreement and I'm afraid that if this was to go to
        court Cabot would win.
        The debt cannot yet be statute barred as the payment was made Jan 2010 so not SB until Jan 2017.
        Last edited by nemesis45; 2nd March 2015, 11:49:AM.

Comment

Hi Nem
          I didnt make any payments before the IF period ended, nope.
          One month after the 10month IF period ended, cash was debited from my account which was service of the debt ie one of the 36 interest payments. This happened again another month later and then 6 weeks later I paid the full original amount ie the amount of the original credit. So I admit that I owe them interest on those 6 weeks where I didnt pay but surely I am afforded some type of protection under CCA2006 because at point of sale the terms of the contract were not properly explained to me?

Comment

Hi,
            I honestly don't think that the CCA 2006 is going to help you, the terms are clear on these IF deals xx month interest free, and you would have had a copy of the agreement.
            A court will look at a case and decide on " the balance of probabilities " if the money is owed or not and as the full payment was not made in time, the outcome is plain.
            There is the point also had you continued /started monthly payments when the IF finished you would still have been liable for the interest from day one.

This was something that should have been taken up with Creation, from experience I know it does act quickly in cases like this and if correspondence goes un answered it will off load the account.

You can of course attempt to put over your view in relation to the provisions of CCA 2006.

Comment

OK, thanks, Nem.
              I'm going to fight them anyway. I'll let you know what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by ankarir View Post
                OK, thanks, Nem.
                I'm going to fight them anyway. I'll let you know what happens.
                Good Luck:okay:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X