• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Howard Cohen - CCJ Claim form received

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howard Cohen - CCJ Claim form received

I will submit a new post filling in the relevant form when i have the claim form in front of me with the details, but just a quick question.

I have read the steps to take if you receive a claim form and noticed that you can make some requests for disclosure. I was just wondering what you would hope you achieve in doing this? (My particular claim form relates to a santander loan)

Thank you
    Tags: None

Re: Howard Cohen - CCJ Claim form received

Welcome aboard
    Originally posted by t2710 View Post
    I will submit a new post filling in the relevant form when i have the claim form in front of me with the details, but just a quick question.

I have read the steps to take if you receive a claim form and noticed that you can make some requests for disclosure. I was just wondering what you would hope you achieve in doing this? (My particular claim form relates to a santander loan)

Thank you
    To see what documents they have to back up their claim, such as the credit agreement (CCA), the default notice and, if relevant, a notice of assignment. It may well be that you never signed an agreement or it didn't have all the terms, making the account unenforceable. The law also says the creditor should issue a default notice in a certain format, giving you at least 14 days to remedy the breach, these notices are often defective.

If the debt has been sold, there should also be proof of assignment to show the claimant has the right to take you to court over this debt.

If you were submitting a money claim against someone who allegedly owes you money, you'd be expected to back up your claim with documents such as invoices, etc., the same applies to anyone who submits a claim.

The other request you can send is a CCA request to the claimant, under s.77 of the CCA. Failure to comply with such a request can also render your account unenforceable, albeit only temporarily, i.e. while they are in default. The can remedy the breach by providing the documents.

Comment

Thank you. So could these effectively buy be more time to pay off the debt before a ccj was put on my file permanently? I know that it is removed if paid within 28 days but I know I won't have all the funds within that time.

Comment

Originally posted by t2710 View Post
        Thank you. So could these effectively buy be more time to pay off the debt before a ccj was put on my file permanently? I know that it is removed if paid within 28 days but I know I won't have all the funds within that time.
        Actually, the intention is more along the lines of establishing whether you could successfully defend this claim rather than just buying time. One way to avoid a CCJ would be via a Tomlin Order, whereby proceedings would be stayed as long as you kept up agreed monthly repayments. That means you wouldn't have to make a lump sum payment to avoid a CCJ, however, we still have some way to go before reaching that stage.

CCJs are not on file permanently, just for six years. Long enough to cause detriment, of course.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X