• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Claim Form Cabot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claim Form Cabot

Hi there. I hope someone can point me in the right direction i have never had this happen to me before and i'm very worried. Today i have received a claim form from the courts from Cabot Financial. Regarding a catalog i had back in 2008 (JD Williams) I have not spoken to anyone on the phone ever and not made a payment since 2008 or less i just don't know were to go from here i cant stop thinking about it can anyone help. it's been well over 6 years it should be statutory barred anymore info please let me know
    Tags: None

Re: Claim Form Cabot

Welcome aboard
    The first thing to do is to acknowledge the claim and state you are defending the whole lot. See below for steps to take on receipt of a claim. If you haven't paid anything since 2008 then it should be SBd, however, it's always useful to get them to send you some info in case you need a back-up plan. Once you acknowledge you have a total of 28 days to submit a defence. :thumb:

So, first steps (within 14 days of receiving the claim)

1: ACKNOWLEDGE THE CLAIM - you can do this online usually at www.moneyclaim.gov.uk
    You'll need your claim reference and password from the front of the claim form - this will extend the time you have to respond to the claim to 28 days from when you received it

2: Send A CCA REQUEST to the CLAIMANT ( see here )
    This applies to all credit cards / loans / hire purchase / store cards type debt. It doesn't apply to Mobile Phones / Utilities or Overdrafts.

3: Send a CPR request to the CLAIMANT'S SOLICITORS ( see here )

This applies to everything unless they happen to have supplied you with a bunch of paperwork to back up their claim (v. unlikely)

Comment

Hi there thank you for your response i will send off for the info tomorrow. What would u say in defence that i Havant payed nothing since 2008 and should be sbd? Also would i have to go to court?

thanks

Originally posted by FlamingPathrrot View Post
      Welcome aboard
      The first thing to do is to acknowledge the claim and state you are defending the whole lot. See below for steps to take on receipt of a claim. If you haven't paid anything since 2008 then it should be SBd, however, it's always useful to get them to send you some info in case you need a back-up plan. Once you acknowledge you have a total of 28 days to submit a defence. :thumb:

So, first steps (within 14 days of receiving the claim)

1: ACKNOWLEDGE THE CLAIM - you can do this online usually at www.moneyclaim.gov.uk
      You'll need your claim reference and password from the front of the claim form - this will extend the time you have to respond to the claim to 28 days from when you received it

2: Send A CCA REQUEST to the CLAIMANT ( see here )
      This applies to all credit cards / loans / hire purchase / store cards type debt. It doesn't apply to Mobile Phones / Utilities or Overdrafts.

3: Send a CPR request to the CLAIMANT'S SOLICITORS ( see here )

This applies to everything unless they happen to have supplied you with a bunch of paperwork to back up their claim (v. unlikely)

Comment

You won't have to submit any defence for several weeks so no need to let that worry you just yet. Just do as Flaming parrot says for now.

Comment

I've just been on the phone to Citizens Advice & they have got me booked in for an appointment next Wednesday they've told me it could be statutory barred, they've also told me not to reply to the claim and for them to have a look at it

Comment

Originally posted by snaylor111 View Post
            Hi there thank you for your response i will send off for the info tomorrow. What would u say in defence that i Havant payed nothing since 2008 and should be sbd? Also would i have to go to court?

thanks
            When the time comes, you can just submit a SBd defence. Take a look at this thread: http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...ing#post452862
            Originally posted by snaylor111 View Post
            I've just been on the phone to Citizens Advice & they have got me booked in for an appointment next Wednesday they've told me it could be statutory barred, they've also told me not to reply to the claim and for them to have a look at it
            I really can't see what the Citizens Advice can advise in this case, other than what we've told you here :noidea:

I find the bit about not replying to the claim, most intriguing. :confused2: Once a claim is issued, you HAVE to acknowledge it within 14 days or the claimant can request default judgment. :scared:

People working for the CABs have varying degrees of knowledge and expertise, some are just volunteers and most are not legally qualified. The person who answered the phone was probably thinking along the lines of not acknowledging the debt and resetting the clock when they said not to reply to the claim, however, that no longer applies in this case for two reasons:
            1. Once a debt is SBd due to there being a clear 6 year period without any payments or written acknowledgment, it cannot be un-barred, not even by making a payment.
            2. If the debt was not yet SBd, issuing court proceedings would have reset the clock anyway.

In view of the above, there's no reason whatsoever not to acknowledge the claim. :nono:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X