• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

**CASE DISMISSED** Court Claim - Lowell / Welcome Finance - 26-11-2014

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• **CASE DISMISSED** Court Claim - Lowell / Welcome Finance - 26-11-2014

Received a claim? Yes
    Issue Date: 26-11-2014
    Amount approx: £3500
    Claimant: Lowell
    Solicitor: B W Legal
    Original Credit: Welcome Finance

Particulars of Claim:
    The Claimants claim is for the sum of xxxxx being monies due from the defendant to the claimant under a personal loan agreement regulated by the consumer credit act 1974 between the defendant and welcome financial services ltd under account ref xxxxxx and assigned to the claimant on 08/2012 notice of which has been given to the defendant. the defendant failed to maintain the contractual payment under the terms of the agreement and a default notice has been served and not complied with. The claim also includes statutory interest pursuant to section 69 of the county courts act 1984 at a rate of 8.00% per annum (a daily rate of 0.00 from the date of the assignment of the agreement to 11/2014 being an amount of 0.00

Stat Barred? No

Have sent: Acknowledged the Claim

Other Info:
    The amount they are claiming for is less that the amount quoted in the 'particulars of claim' section. This was defaulted back in april 2009 and then sold on i assume numerous times. i have not made a payment since then. There is no default on my credit file anymore which i assume was removed when welcome went under. Any help with this will be greatly appreciated. I know i need to send CCA request, 31.14 request and also a part 18 request which i have prepared but just really would like some guidance and assistance with the whole thing please. thanks for your time
    Tags: None

Re: Court Claim - Lowell / Welcome Finance - 26-11-2014

Hi and welcome

You seem pretty clued up and have obviously been reading other threads. :clap2: The Part 18 request is usually only sent when you want to obtain specific information that does not relate to documents mentioned on the particulars of claim, such as the date of the last payment made into the account when you suspect it may be statute barred. If you last paid in 2009 that wouldn't be the case, however, you say it no longer appears on your credit file, could it have been defaulted earlier? :noidea: I don't think the default would have been removed from your file just because Welcome went under, and the account is owned by Lowell so it would still show up with Lowell's name against it.

Comment

When was the account opened?

Was it unsecured?

Comment

hi guys, thanks for the responses. Yes the account was unsecured and was opened in march 2008. defaulted in october 2009 and definitely no longer appears on my credit file. it was marked satisfied in 2012 under welcomes name and then dropped off for some reason. i presume this was when lowell took over the debt but to date have not marked the default on my file under their own name.

so no need for the part 18 request. will get the other bits sent off recorded delivery today. I'm just afraid that they will come back with the required documents at which point i don't know what ill do. Again thanks for your help/guidance

Comment

Originally posted by DEBTDEFENDER View Post
          hi guys, thanks for the responses. Yes the account was unsecured and was opened in march 2008. defaulted in october 2009 and definitely no longer appears on my credit file. it was marked satisfied in 2012 under welcomes name and then dropped off for some reason. i presume this was when lowell took over the debt but to date have not marked the default on my file under their own name.

so no need for the part 18 request. will get the other bits sent off recorded delivery today. I'm just afraid that they will come back with the required documents at which point i don't know what ill do. Again thanks for your help/guidance
          One thing I think I must mention here is that, since you opened the account after April 2007, you will no longer have the protection of s.127 of the CCA 1974 which was the one that prevented a court from making an enforcement order unless it could be established that there was a properly executed agreement with all the prescribed terms.

Comment

thanks for the response. so there was no point in me sending the document requests them to then. does this mean that i have no way to contest this and its either i pay them or get a ccj??

Comment

Originally posted by DEBTDEFENDER View Post
              thanks for the response. so there was no point in me sending the document requests them to then. does this mean that i have no way to contest this and its either i pay them or get a ccj??
              Let's see how the application progresses and whether they can produce documents or not.

If it comes to the point where you cannot successfully defend, you can sign a Tomlin Order which would stay the proceedings as long as the terms of the order are kept to. This would avoid a CCJ on your record, but we'll cross that bridge if/when we come to it. :thumb:

Comment

hey guys so with just a week left to prepare my defence, i thought i would just touch base before the xmas break period. I spoke with BW legal who confirmed receipt of my requests but gave the usual 'we need to go back to my client' speech. should i be pushing them for anything at all at this stage? will i need to get an extension on the date for submitting the defence?
                i know there won't be many people around on xmas eve so should i start preping my defence now and is there a template for this?
                thanks in advance for your help

Comment

YEs there is an example to work from http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...t-Court-Claims

For Welcome Finance it is unlikely they will come up with anything so I'd be tempted just to put your defence in rather than prolong the agony for another month.

Once you have got a draft cracked post it up and we'll try check it over before you send it.
                  #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

excellent, thanks for your help. I will get drafting and then post the defence up. is my deadline 28 days from the 26/11/2014?

Comment

If it was issued on the 26-11 then it would be 33 days as you're allowed 5 days for service, which brings you to Monday, December 29, 2014
                      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hey i hope everyone had a great xmas, just wondering if anyones available to have a quick look at my defence which is due by tomorrow: Thanks is advance

IN THE NORTHAMPTON COUNTY COURT (CCBC)

CASE Noxxxxxxxx

BETWEEN:

LOWELL PORTFOLIO 1 LTD

CLAIMANT

-and-

debt defender

DEFENDANT

DEFENCE

1: I received the claim xxxxx from the Northampton County Court on
                        (date)

2: The Defendant avers that the Claimants pleadings are an abuse of process. The Claimants pleadings are lacking detail, there are no details as to when the alleged default occurred, the degree of default, despite requests for information from the Defendant, the Claimant has not provided any details as to how the sums claimed have accrued. Accordingly the Defendants contend that the pleadings are wholly inadequate for a contested matter and that the Claimant should be required to plead its case coherently and accurately as required by the CPR 16 and PD 16. The Defendants reserve the right to replead their defense should the Claimant replead its claim adequately

3: Each and every allegation in the Claimants statement of case is denied unless specifically admitted in this Defense.

4: It is believed that this claim is for a Loan agreement regulated under the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

5: The Claimants statement of case fails to give adequate information to enable me to properly assess my position with regards the claim.

6. The particulars of claim fail to state when the agreement was entered into.

7. The Claimants statement of case states that the account was assigned from Welcome Financial Services Ltd to Claimant on xxxxx The Defendant does not recall receiving notice of this assignment.

8. It is denied that welcome financial services ltd served any Default notice on the Defendant pursuant to s87 Consumer Credit Act 1974. The Claimant is required to prove that a compliant Default Notice was served upon the Defendant.

9: On the xxxxxx the defendant sent a request for inspection of documents mentioned in the claimant’s statement of case under Civil Procedure Rule 31.14 to BW Legal, which is the claimant’s solicitor. The defendant requested the Claimant provide copies of the Agreement, Default Notice and Notice of Assignment.

10. BW Legal, The claimant’s solicitor has not sent any of these documents to the defendant.

11. On the xxxxxx The defendant sent a formal request for a copy of the original agreement to Lowell Portfolio 1 Ltd pursuant to section 77 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 along with the statutory £1 fee.

12. Lowell Portfolio 1 Ltd has not sent any of these documents to the defendant.

13. The Claimant has failed to comply with s77 (1) Consumer Credit Act 1974 and by virtue of s77 (4) Consumer Credit Act 1974 cannot enforce the agreement.

14: On xxxxxxx, The defendant asked the Claimant if we may agree to extend the time period allowed for filing of my defense pending receipt of documents (as allowed under CPR 15.5), but they have declined.

15. Under Civil Procedure Rule 16.5 (4) Where the claim includes a money claim, a defendant shall be taken to require that any allegation relating to the amount of money claimed be proved unless he expressly admits the allegation. Therefore It is expected that the Claimant be required to prove the allegation that the money is owed as claimed.

16. I request the court orders the Claimants to provide the necessary documentation in order for me to fully plead my case else the Claim should stand struck out.

17. In the event that the relevant documents are received from the Claimants I will then be in a position to amend my defense, and would ask that the Claimants bear the costs of the amendment.

18. It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief as claimed or at all.

Conclusion
                        19. Accordingly, the Defendant avers that

19.1. The Claimant has failed to plead properly in this matter and has failed to provide any information relating to this debt.

19.2. The Claimant has not complied with s77(1) or s77(4), and 87 Consumer Credit Act 1974 and therefore cannot enforce the agreement.

19.3. Therefore, the Claimants Claim should be dismissed and the Claimant should pay the Defendants costs.

Statement of Truth

The Defendant believes that the facts stated in this Defense are true.

Signed …………………………………………

Dated .................................................. ....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Last edited by Amethyst; 10th February 2015, 21:26:PM.

Comment

anyone?

Comment

quick update, received n180 and am returning by 29/01/2015. Am i correct in thinking that the claim should not be progressing as they haven't complied with my CCA or CPR 31.14 requests?

Thanks in advance for your help

Comment

anyone able to help with this at all?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X