• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cabot, Marlin, Restons, Aqua, Vanquis

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabot, Marlin, Restons, Aqua, Vanquis

Hi. I'm just looking for some advice. And I wonder if anyone can help? I wont go into to all of the gory details, but I have 2 credit card debts, one from Aqua, and another from Vanquis. These were originally for £1500, and £1900 respectively, and dated from around 2007-2008.

Over the last couple of years I received maybe half a dozen, in total, letters from Cabot offering to sell me the debts for a reduced rate, and then making general threats and pleas for the outstanding money. I didn't bother replying, thinking that these were just 'sabre rattling exercises'.

In the first week of October though I received a CCJ from Northampton CCBC for £2600, and then 10 days after that another for roughly the same amount. These just appeared out of the blue, with no prior warning and no claim pack for either case. While I was desperately attempting to find out what the hell was happening, a notice of application for attachment of earnings order was also delivered on the back of the first CCJ. All of these court papers were issued on behalf of Cabot, with no reference to the original credit agreement.

At this point I submitted an N244 to my local court for the first CCJ received and and also sent a pair of CCA requests to Cabot. They eventually replied and told me that they didn't have the relevant paperwork on file, but should be able to get it within 40 days. That sort of begs the question. How could they obtain a pair of CCJ's with no proof of debt?

This morning I received a witness statement from Restons in response to my N244, and basically challenging what I wrote in question 10. ie, no receipt of case pack, or letters informing me that I was being taken to court etc. also they enclosed two copies of unsigned letters from a company called Marlin Financial, who I've never heard of, and a copy of a letter from Cabot that I didn't receive either.

So, my situation now, is that I have a brace of CCJ's issued without warning, also issued without claim packs, and therefore with no way to defend them before they originally went to court, I have no copy of any document of assignment, no copy of the original credit agreement, no idea of how they've reached a figure of £2600 on a £1500 credit card debt, and I didn't receive a default notice either.

What I'm trying to find out here is. Do I wait until next Monday (24th November), which is when I have to attend court, and defend Restons claims then? Or can I submit a counter statement to the court before then, or add information to my N244?

Any help would be gratefully received.
    Tags: None

Re: Cabot, Marlin, Restons, Aqua, Vanquis

Are you saying that you received the judgments from the court but not the claim forms, and no Letters Before Action from Cabot/Restons either?

Comment

That's exactly what I'm saying Kafka. The first that I heard about any of this was when I received the first CCJ. All that I had before that was a few random letters over a 2 or 3 year time span from Cabot. Some were at the old address, and some were at the new address. We moved home a little over 2 years ago.

Comment

But if you received the judgment from the court I'm wondering how you didn't receive the claim through the court a few months earlier? The court will know what they sent.

Comment

I'm wondering that too. Could there be a possibility that it was sent to my old address? I wrote to NCCBC last week asking them where they sent the claim pack. As yet they haven't replied. What I'm desperately trying to find out right now though. Is can I add information to the N244 from that I submitted to the court? Or can I submit any additional paperwork to the court before my application to have the case set aside is heard?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X