• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Restons Solicitors Limited for Cabot Financial (UK) Limited for Hitachi Nova

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Restons Solicitors Limited for Cabot Financial (UK) Limited for Hitachi Nova

Are you submitting via moneyclaimonline ?

So just a quick draft for you - we'll need to go through and check it is all factual, so take this a starting point.

1: I am the Defendant in this case
    2: The claim is for an agreement regulated under the Consumer Credit Act 1974.
    3: It is denied the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed, or at all.
    4: The Particulars of Claim state the Claim is for sums owing under an agreement between myself and Hitachi Nova dated 25th July 2006.
    5: The Claimants states they were assigned the debt by Hitachi Nova on 28th September 2010. I have not received any notice of this assignment.
    6: I have not had any contact with Hitachi Nova, nor have I made any payments to Hitachi Nova, since around July 2008.
    7: It is my contention that the debt is time barred by virtue of s.5 of the Limitations Act 1980.
    8: Should the Claimant contend this is not the case, I put them to strict proof as to the date, amount and method by which any payment was made.
    9. I have sent a formal request for a copy of the alleged credit agreement between myself and Hitachi Nova. The request has been made under s.77-s.79 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.
    10. The Claimant has not responded to this request and has not sent a copy of the agreement to me.
    11: I believe the original credit was to purchase a Sofa from DFS, however without further information, or sight of the original agreement I cannot be certain of this or the terms on which any credit was agreed. I recall the Sofa was purchased on an interest free basis and cost around £xxx.
    12. I do not recognise the amount claimed and do not know how the amount claimed has been reached.
    13. I do not recall receiving any default notice and have asked the Claimant for a copy of any default notice served under s.87/s.88 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.
    14. As I have not had any documents from the Claimant to assist me in responding to their claim I telephoned the Claimant's solicitors on 7th November 2014 to request their agreement to extend the date by which to file my defence by 28 days under CPR 15.5. The Claimant's refused this reasonable request.
    15: Therefore should the Claimant provide documentation evidencing their claim and provide a true copy of the original agreement under s.77-s.79 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974, and provide evidence of acknowledgement of any debt within the past six years I ask the court allows me to amend my claim and that the Claimant pay the costs of the application.

Statement of Truth
    I believe the facts in this Defence are True

Signed
    Dated
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Re: Restons Solicitors Limited for Cabot Financial (UK) Limited for Hitachi Nova

I haven't mentioned the CPR request as basically, it was wrong, as only the agreement and possibly the assignment were mentioned in the statement of case and the amount is low and they will argue it will be on small claims track (which it will), I also don't think it is worth spending the £155 application fee for an unless order on the back of it, especially considering the value of the claim.
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

You definitely know better than me, but sounds like it all makes sense and they will now need to provide proof if it is not barred.

It is factually correct, although the date of the last payment is clearly a guess, I have little if any memory of it. I also would be guessing to recall the purchase price - think it was over £2k but not 100% sure. Shall I use that?

I submitted the acknowledgement of service by post as I was struggling to log into MoneyClaim and ran out of time (it was received - see below). I have now managed to get in (bloody capital i looks like an l - got there eventually). Shall I go ahead and submit the defence online now?

Claim HistoryA claim was issued against you on 09/10/2014

Your acknowledgment of service was received on 28/10/2014

Comment

Ouchy, do you still have the Sofa? lol. (I'm a bit anti DFS btw ) I'd leave that off then tbh, always suprises me how much Sofa's cost. Mine was £20 off ebay. I was thinking it was less than the amount they were claiming, doesn't really work as an argument being the other way around.

So leave the bit about how much you think it cost out.

ie
          I recall the Sofa was purchased on an interest free basis and cost around £xxx.
          change to
          I do recall the Sofa was purchased on an interest free basis.
          #staysafestayhome

Comment

Oh the other thing, you sent a CCA request a couple weeks back when you first got the claim, and sent another as you hadn't had a reply and thought you'd best send it by recorded delivery... OK.
            #staysafestayhome

Comment

Got it.

I do still have the sofa, it is probably not worth more than £20 now!! I have become more anti DFS since then - much has changed.

Will submit the amended defence now and begin the waiting process.

Your support has been legendary, I am honestly gob-smacked

Comment

Defence - Confirmation

Step 7 of 7

Thank you. You have successfully submitted your Defence form to the court.

All done, just noticed that I left the last 2 sentences off when copying and pasting (see below). Hope it was not a serious error.

Statement of Truth
                I believe the facts in this Defence are True

Comment

The statement of truth is automatically put in on MCOL so you should be fine
                  #staysafestayhome

Comment

thanks, will keep the post updated on any progress.

Comment

Got the letter that I requested from Restons yesterday confirming the denial of an extension to file a defence. Link to letter is below if anyone is interested.

http://imgur.com/XmBKc7x

Comment

That's good, thank you. Looks a little shoddy on them, although the pre action stuff does come down on their side, you still have the non compliance with the CCA request on yours and that is stronger.
                        #staysafestayhome

Comment

Got it, thanks - enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Comment

Received a letter from Restons today acknowledging receipt of the defence and advising that it is not barred. See below for reference. Lets see what they come back with as evidence.

http://imgur.com/5QlKBRh

Comment

Do you think you made the payment on 2nd Feb 2009 ? Can you get a copy of your bank statement from then ?

Have only ever made any payments prior to default and only by direct debit to the original loan.
                              Could have been a panic payment to a DCA hassling you possibly ?
                              #staysafestayhome

Comment

I have managed to find a bank statement for December 2008 where there is a direct debit payment for £96.90 to Hitachi Capital (1 December 2008), that I think is the same debt. I do not have the January or February 2009 statements. Definitely not a payment for a DCA - I never did that ever for any debt.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X