• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

DISCONTINUED ! Lowell / Bryan Carter / Capital One / County Cour

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lowell / Bryan Carter / Capital One / County Court

10 looks good to me as does the rest. Good luck xx
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi, quick update:
      There are problems with logging in on court website, etc. So I called their number and I was advised to email N244 form and attached documents, etc.
      However, I do have to make the £45 payment before this is done and the fees department currently closes at 3:30p.m. today.
      I was advised to give a phone number and they are now due to call me back to take payment. If not, I will try to call them in the morning when it is apparently much quieter.
      I should add that I feel a little suspicious about how the person on the phone asked why I was submitting N244, and added: "Are you asking for the claim to be struck out?"
      The recorded information on the phone does in fact say that they are not permitted to give legal advice...

Chris :-)

Comment

Hi, Have now received court papers re: N244 application.
        Court states that Claimant/Bryan Carter must supply me with requested documents by 4pm on 2nd April.
        Have wondered if it's possible to try to make Contempt of Court complaint against Bryan Carter re: them insisting that they were not required to produce the requested documents at this court - and also wondering if worth considering complaining to S.R.A. Solicitors Regulation Authority re: this potential misconduct/misinformation?
        Perhaps this could encourage them to behave correctly, etc.
        Many thanks for any help!

Comment

Excellent news, that's Wednesday Don't count chickens just yet and once the fat lady sings then feel free to pop a note in to the SRA (BC) and the FCA (Lowell)

Give it a couple extra days after that before contacting the court. Does the order state a consequence of them not complying with the order?
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Sadly they'd probably get away with a stupidity defence.

M1

Comment

Hi M1,
              Considering they are misleading many, many people with false legal advice - and also that the judge has clearly just rejected what they've said to me - then I don't think they will necessarily get away from the SRA's rules so easily. When needed the SRA do take action against solicitors and in some cases they will even intervene to close a firm and seize all their case documents, etc.

Comment

Hi, Many thanks for your kind help, Amethyst :-)
                I'll quote some of the court papers:
                "It is ordered that:
                The Claimant shall by 4pm on xxx xxx 2014, provide the Defendant copies of the following documents mentioned in the Claim Form pursuant to CPR Rule 31.14
                a) The Credit Agreement
                b) The Default Notice
                c) The Assignment
                2. If the Claimant fails to comply with paragraph 1, the Claim shall be struck out without further order.
                3. Upon the Claimant complying with paragraph 1, the Defendant shall file and serve a defence by 4pm on the 23rd April 2014.
                4. The Claimant shall pay the Defendant's costs in this application to be assessed it not agreed.
                Note: This order has been made without a hearing under the Courts case management powers contained in the Civil Procedure rules Part 3. You may within 7 days of the service of this order, apply to the Court to set aside or to vary the order under Part 23 Rule 10. You must file with the Court, and serve on the other parties, an application that sets out your reasons for objection. A fee is payable upon the filing of the application. When your objection is received the matter will be listed for hearing unless you ask the Court to vary the order without a hearing."

Comment

"2. If the Claimant fails to comply with paragraph 1, the Claim shall be struck out without further order."

There you are. So if they don't comply, or complain about sanctions, they will have their case struck out. Case of wait and see I'm afraid.... maybe Friday give the court a call and see if anything's been received.
                  #staysafestayhome

Comment

YES!!!! It will not be necessary to wait until later this week!!

Letter received from B.C:
                    =============================
                    "Dear xxxxx,

re: Lowell Financial Limited v xxxxx
                    account: xxxxxxx
                    Our ref: xxxxxx
                    Balance: £0.00

Please be advised that County Court Claim number xxxxxxx has been discontinued.

Yours sincerely,

B.C."
                    ===============================
                    SUCCESS!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH TO SHARON AND TO EVERYONE AT LEGAL BEAGLES FOR YOUR BRILLIANT HELP!!!

I am now going to sort out the claim for costs against Bryan Carter.
                    If anyone has any advice about how to go about this and the amounts that should be sought then please do advise!!

Also, will it be necessary to have this removed from my credit file? Or should Lowell/Bryan Carter be told to do this and to confirm it to me/to the court?

Thank you all so much again!!

Comment

SUPER Well done.

I am really not sure on the costs front, I think M1 is more up on that side of things, I'm just happy to get to them stopping the court action
                      #staysafestayhome

Comment

Re: Lowell / Bryan Carter / Capital One / County Court - DISCONTINUED !

The claim was never allocated

http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/pro...l/rules/part38

http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/pro...es/part38#38.6

Liability for costs
                        (1) Unless the court orders otherwise, a claimant who discontinues is liable for the costs which a defendant against whom the claimant discontinues incurred on or before the date on which notice of discontinuance was served on the defendant.
                        (2) If proceedings are only partly discontinued –
                        (a) the claimant is liable under paragraph (1) for costs relating only to the part of the proceedings which he is discontinuing; and
                        (b) unless the court orders otherwise, the costs which the claimant is liable to pay must not be assessed until the conclusion of the rest of the proceedings.
                        (3) This rule does not apply to claims allocated to the small claims track. Good job it wasn't allocated
                        (Rule 44.9 provides for the basis of assessment where the right to costs arises on discontinuance and contains provisions about when a costs order is deemed to have been made and applying for an order under section 194(3) of the Legal Services Act 2007)

The costs to claim are

1. Time @ £18 per hour.
                        2. Postage
                        3. Paper
                        4. Ink
                        5. Phone calls
                        6. Travel, parking etc

Don't forget you had costs of the application awarded by the court so that is separate.

My advice is get as much as you can but not so much they'll contest it. I'd say it'd cost £200 plus for them to attend a hearing on costs.

M1

Comment

THANK YOU so much for your fantastic help, M1!!

I am going to work out some costs and will then post some ideas about cost amounts in the next few days...

SO HAPPY TODAY!!!!!!!

Chris :-) :drum:

Comment

Originally posted by mystery1 View Post

The costs to claim are

1. Time @ £18 per hour.
                            2. Postage
                            3. Paper
                            4. Ink
                            5. Phone calls
                            6. Travel, parking etc

Don't forget you had costs of the application awarded by the court so that is separate.

My advice is get as much as you can but not so much they'll contest it. I'd say it'd cost £200 plus for them to attend a hearing on costs.

M1
                            Send them a bill for £199.99 then and offer them a discount if paid within 7 days. I think £ 0.05 more than generous

Comment

Originally posted by mystery1 View Post

http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/pro...l/rules/part38

http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/pro...es/part38#38.6

Liability for costs
                              (1) Unless the court orders otherwise, a claimant who discontinues is liable for the costs which a defendant against whom the claimant discontinues incurred on or before the date on which notice of discontinuance was served on the defendant.
                              (2) If proceedings are only partly discontinued –
                              (a) the claimant is liable under paragraph (1) for costs relating only to the part of the proceedings which he is discontinuing; and
                              (b) unless the court orders otherwise, the costs which the claimant is liable to pay must not be assessed until the conclusion of the rest of the proceedings.
                              (3) This rule does not apply to claims allocated to the small claims track. Good job it wasn't allocated
                              (Rule 44.9 provides for the basis of assessment where the right to costs arises on discontinuance and contains provisions about when a costs order is deemed to have been made and applying for an order under section 194(3) of the Legal Services Act 2007)

The costs to claim are

1. Time @ £18 per hour.
                              2. Postage
                              3. Paper
                              4. Ink
                              5. Phone calls
                              6. Travel, parking etc

M1
                              Hope all is well, M1.

Have drawn up costs below.

I don't know if I am supposed to send the claim for costs to the court? or instead just to B.C.? or to both??

also, is there a template letter/form for claiming costs?

I haven't yet spoken to the court regarding B.C.'s letter advising case is discontinued? Should I do this immediately? I haven't heard anything further from the court confirming the case has been struck out?

Finally, should I request that B.C. or Lowell remove the default from my credit file in the same letter? I did see some information about this on the forum re: Information Commissioner, etc.

Any advice would be great appreciated!

Many thanks,

================================== Costs to claim:

1. Time @ £18 per hour:
                              15 x hours
                              TOTAL: £270

Postage:Recorded delivery £2.30 x 3. Postal order £1.50
                              £8.40 and 1 hr
                              Photocopying costs: £0.20 x 30 copies
                              £6 and 1 hr
                              Phone, internet/emailing costs:Court calls 1hr £3 Other calls 4hrs £12
                              £15 and 5 hrs
                              Travel: Day pass x 4
                              £16 and 4 hrs
                              TOTAL: £45.40

SUBTOTAL TIME AND ADMIN: £315.40

Court Costs of N244 Application: £45

FINAL COSTS: £360.40

=====================================

Comment

Originally posted by 4 Chris Sakes View Post
                                Hope all is well, M1.

Have drawn up costs below.

I don't know if I am supposed to send the claim for costs to the court? or instead just to B.C.? or to both??

also, is there a template letter/form for claiming costs?

I haven't yet spoken to the court regarding B.C.'s letter advising case is discontinued? Should I do this immediately? I haven't heard anything further from the court confirming the case has been struck out?

Finally, should I request that B.C. or Lowell remove the default from my credit file in the same letter? I did see some information about this on the forum re: Information Commissioner, etc.

Any advice would be great appreciated!

Many thanks,

================================== Costs to claim:

1. Time @ £18 per hour:
                                15 x hours
                                TOTAL: £270

Postage:Recorded delivery £2.30 x 3. Postal order £1.50
                                £8.40 and 1 hr
                                Photocopying costs: £0.20 x 30 copies
                                £6 and 1 hr
                                Phone, internet/emailing costs:Court calls 1hr £3 Other calls 4hrs £12
                                £15 and 5 hrs
                                Travel: Day pass x 4
                                £16 and 4 hrs
                                TOTAL: £45.40

SUBTOTAL TIME AND ADMIN: £315.40

Court Costs of N244 Application: £45

FINAL COSTS: £360.40

=====================================

I'm no expert on costs.

You should send a breakdown with your request to BC. The court only get involved if you can't reach an agreement on the total.

No template that i'm aware of.

Something like :-

In lieu of your discontinuance in this matter please find enclosed my costs that you should pay pursuant to cpr 38.6.

Payment should be made within 14 days.

M1
                                Last edited by mystery1; 9th April 2014, 16:30:PM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X