• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Received court claim forms from bw legal/ lowell portfolio

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Received court claim forms from bw legal/ lowell portfolio

Originally posted by mystery1 View Post
    IMO there is no sanction specifically provided for which is a pain.

I would contact the claimant and ask why they haven't complied. You might want to point out CPR 31.21 to them

Consequence of failure to disclose documents or permit inspection

31.21 A party may not rely on any document which he fails to disclose or in respect of which he fails to permit inspection unless the court gives permission

Now that in itself appears give them a substantial problem. How are they going to prove their claim now ? They will need relief from sanctions. They are unlikely to get it.

If they have no reason for the delay (eg we posted it to you, it must be lost etc) then invite them to discontinue or you'll apply for another order, with costs.
    M1

:whistle:

M1

Comment

Yeah, what he said lol
      Originally posted by mystery1 View Post
      :whistle:

M1
      I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Hi everyone,
        Thank you for all the advice.
        Update!,
        I rang up the court this morning to enquire whether they had received anything from Lowell with regard to the outstanding documents and also to let them know that I had not received anything apart from the payment of £80 for the costs.
        They said they had not received anything either.
        They advised me to drop them a line in form of a letter stating that I had not yet received the documents stated in the order and then they would point it to the Judge.
        Any advise as to how I should present this letter?
        Thanks

Comment

Hi everyone,
          Another update!,
          I have received an email from BW Legal solicitors,"referring to our telephone conversation- (see thread 38) that their client has provided them with instructions to discontinue the claim.
          "Accordingly ,Please find enclosed a consent order which confirms the same."
          "We would ask that you sign and return this to us within the next seven days, upon which we will file this with the court, thus bringing an end to these proceedings.
          "We look forward to receiving a signed copy of the order by 4.00pm on 26th May 2014."

The Document is as follows:

In the County Court at xxxxxxxx
          Claim No xxxxxxxxxx
          Between
          Lowell Portfolio 1 ltd Claimant
          and
          Me Defendant

CONSENT ORDER

Upon the parties having reached agreement as to settlement of the above claim
          BY CONSENT IT IS ORDERED THAT
          1. The Claimant discontinues the claim against the defendant.
          2. There be no order as to costs.

DATED:

We hereby consent to an order in the above terms

BW Legal
          Addresss xxxxxx
          Solicitors for the Claimant

ME
          Address xxxxxxxx
          Defendant

Could someone explain to me what they understand by all this and what it means in actual terms.
          I don't want to consent to something that isn't clear.
          Any advise please.

Comment

What it means is that they are wanting to give up and run away but they want your agreement to do so first.
            I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

The want to concede but they are still trying to screw you.

As i understand matters, the claim has never been allocated to small claims track.

http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/pro...es/part38#38.6

You can accept or you can ask for costs.

Your call.

M1

Comment

Thank you M1,
                Can you assist me here.
                I will go for costs.
                But first, what do they mean by " upon the parties having reached agreement as to settlement of the above claim"?
                Secondly, can they make another claim later on?
                Thirdly, about the amounts in the POC that they were claiming that is; debt + added interest and solicitors fees?
                Forth, Is there a standard costing structure when claiming costs?
                Please assist
                Thanks

Comment

As per thread 38,
                  Does my inviting them to discontinue mean that I agree to forfeit costs?, because I don't want them saying that by me asking them to discontinue and withdraw the claim because they would incur additional costs when I make another application to court as acceptance to not claiming costs.
                  I just want to be sure.
                  Thanks

Comment

But first, what do they mean by " upon the parties having reached agreement as to settlement of the above claim"?
                    You and them have agreed that it's ok to discontinue. If you don't accept on the basis of no costs then you're not relly agreeing to anything because you can't really stop them chucking in the towel ! So it's not anything noteworthy really. Ignore.

Secondly, can they make another claim later on?
                    With great difficulty and if your "xxx" is less than a grand i'd be surprised if they spend any more on recovery. It's simply not worth it.

Thirdly, about the amounts in the POC that they were claiming that is; debt + added interest and solicitors fees?
                    You've lost me. What about it ?

Forth, Is there a standard costing structure when claiming costs?
                    £18 per hour 10p per copy plus any other expenditure such as postage etc.

Does my inviting them to discontinue mean that I agree to forfeit costs?
                    Nope.

M1

Comment

Thanks M1,
                      Going back to item3, about the amounts in the POC that they stated. Are they going to be chasing me for the stated total amount which include those propped up figures of the debt + solicitors fees + interest as they stated in the claim form after discontinuing the case.

Comment

Am I obliged to respond to their letter or can just ignore it?
                        So that they sort it out with the court about the non compliance.

Comment

Originally posted by GM2226 View Post
                          Thanks M1,
                          Going back to item3, about the amounts in the POC that they stated. Are they going to be chasing me for the stated total amount which include those propped up figures of the debt + solicitors fees + interest as they stated in the claim form after discontinuing the case.
                          I'd not be expecting to hear from them at all really.

Am I obliged to respond to their letter or can just ignore it?
                          So that they sort it out with the court about the non compliance.

Well you should contact them. I agree to a consent order but not without costs. I want £xxx costs.

Then await a reply.

M1

Comment

thank you!
                            Can I also claim the costs I missed out at the time of the hearing? or that cant be included/revisited

Comment

Nah, a judge already ruled on that.

M1

Comment

Hi everyone,
                                Do I get penalised for not signing the CONSENT ORDER sent by BW LEGAL solicitors by the deadline date specified on the order.
                                I sent them an email asking them to confirm as to my understanding that they no longer have any claim against me and that the matter is now settled and complete.( that is in response to reaching agreement as to a settlement).
                                Also to make sure that they don't update my credit file with the new figure they are stating in the claim foam.
                                The reason behind is that they are now communicating using the amount on the claim foam as the outstanding amount instead of the old figure before they went to court.
                                I am waiting for their response.
                                But are there any penalties that I could fall into for not signing the Consent Order foam they sent me by the 26th May 2014 while I await for their reply to my email?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X