• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Please help - very worried. Ref: IND/Hegarty LLP/Aktiv Kapital/MBNA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Please help - very worried. Ref: IND/Hegarty LLP/Aktiv Kapital/MBNA

Your right to apply stems from the fact they didn't comply with a court order.

Cpr 1.3

Duty of the parties
    The parties are required to help the court to further the overriding objective.

The overriding objective
    (1) These Rules are a new procedural code with the overriding objective of enabling the court to deal with cases justly and at proportionate cost.
    (2) Dealing with a case justly and at proportionate cost includes, so far as is practicable –
    (a) ensuring that the parties are on an equal footing;
    (b) saving expense;
    (c) dealing with the case in ways which are proportionate –
    (i) to the amount of money involved;
    (ii) to the importance of the case;
    (iii) to the complexity of the issues; and
    (iv) to the financial position of each party;
    (d) ensuring that it is dealt with expeditiously and fairly;
    (e) allotting to it an appropriate share of the court’s resources, while taking into account the need to allot resources to other cases; and
    (f) enforcing compliance with rules, practice directions and orders.

The court ordered x they failed. In response to x you had to do y. Because they didn't do x y is irrelevant.

http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/QB/2014/41.html

29.It is to be noted that the order of Walker J. was expressly worded to provide for the sequential disclosure of witness statements and skeletons and that the obligations placed upon the defendant were to be "in response" to compliance by the claimant with its own obligations in this regard. I therefore doubt very much whether the defendant was in default of the order relating to the filing and service of witness statements at all. The obligation upon it was to respond and there was nothing to respond to.

M1

Comment

Thanks M1 for the above......hearing is tomorrow at 2pm....will update afterwards

Comment

Originally posted by HB10 View Post
        Thanks M1 for the above......hearing is tomorrow at 2pm....will update afterwards

Hope all goes well this afternoon HB.
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hope nall is well

Comment

So do i, i am just behind you as to these unless orders. This thread has been a goldmine for correct procedure and pit falls. The advice given is invaluable as a source of reference.

Fingers crossed for you

Comment

Thanks all,

Just a quick brief - I have to go away for couple of days work, but will give full details on return.

- The strike out was not granted
              - They have to produce statement by 14th July - otherwise the 2006 dec can be considered as last payment
              - They are relying on default notice as 6 years limitation - seemed like judge was fine with that as its a credit card etc
              - I have to file defence by 28th July
              - Their representative seemed very gd and knew her stuff - well she spoke well. I was lost a little.

Anyway will update in more detail in next couple of days.

Comment

Default date: 31/12/2009
                #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

hi all,

hope everyone is well. sorry for the delay in replying - have been away on work and now have to deal with this.

i am attaching the order that was sent on 3 july 2014 and also the response by aktiv to the order.

can you please help me with the next steps...not sure what direction to take. thanks
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by HB10 View Post
                    i am attaching the order that was sent on 3 july 2014 and also the response by aktiv to the order.

can you please help me with the next steps...not sure what direction to take. thanks
                    The crucial question is, did you make that payment of £203 on Sept 30th 2009 to MBNA? That's a rather substantial amount and not a CCA or SAR fee that could have been credited to the account. :confused2:

Comment

I am a bit confused

The order stated confirmation as to when a payment was made

How can IND simply state this has been confirmed by the original creditor MBNA with no supporting paperwork either from IND, or MBNA
                      Last edited by ironman; 23rd July 2014, 16:27:PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FlamingParrot View Post
                        The crucial question is, did you make that payment of £203 on Sept 30th 2009 to MBNA? That's a rather substantial amount and not a CCA or SAR fee that could have been credited to the account. :confused2:
                        I really can not remember or have any evidence of the payment. The bank account I had at the time is not the one i use now, so no statements from that period.

Looking at what the judge said in the hearing - she seemed okay with the rep's explanation that the default would not be after 3 years etc and the systems would do auto default after non payment. Though I did argue that they are saying this without any statement proof.

Comment

• In their first witness statement they said they did not hold any evidence of last payment and they are relying of the default notice date

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...0&d=1399564275

''However the last payment has been confirmed by the original creditor....' - so where's the statement or letter from the OC confirming ? The judge asked for a statement showing the last payment. Twice.

Do you want to respond with a witness statement saying you do not believe you made the payment, have checked your records and can't find anything, unable to check further without more detail as to the payment method etc ?

This is what the judge ordered compliance with.

He deemed their witness statement wasn't good enough before so not sure why he would now. If MBNA confirmed it to claimants, how much effort would it be really to print off their record for giving to the court?

If it had defaulted in Dec 2010 - then it would show on your credit file.
                          Attached Files
                          #staysafestayhome

Comment

Thanks Amethyst,

Im not to sure what to do, defence is due by 28th july.

The 1st judge who ordered for the statement was pretty strong towards them to provide the last payment statement.

The judge in the 2nd hearing - took a more relaxed view - she said yeah its written in the order - black and white and she kept asking me if i needed the last payment statement for my defence.

The judge also was okay with the fact that the default is usually automatic via their system so last payment wouldnt have been more then 6 years before - that was my understand anyway.

but they have showed no proof? can they rely on just the default notice date? and by stating that MBNA have confirmed last payment on such a date?

would appreciate any help....

Comment

The order posted tells you that if they do not comply with the order to supply the statement then a statute barred defence will win as the court will accept that no payment has been made in the last 6 years as far as the court is concerned.

You need to enter a defence on this basis.

You could phone them and ask if they'll discontinue to save n costs.

M1

Comment

Thanks M1,

A question on what you wrote - the court would take that no payment in last 6 years. Going by what the judge and the claimants rep were mentioning that the default would possibly satisfy as default is auto from their system - that was my understanding...or i could be wrong?

can you guide me for the defence please, helpful links and how to go about putting the defence together.... thanks

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X