• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Please help - very worried. Ref: IND/Hegarty LLP/Aktiv Kapital/MBNA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Please help - very worried. Ref: IND/Hegarty LLP/Aktiv Kapital/MBNA

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
    Super, a nice no nonsense judge so four days left for them to conjour up a statement showing payments after Nov 2007?
    the docs they sent me included 2 statements....jan 2007, jan 2013.....jan 2007 had the payment which was made dec 2006

Comment

Originally posted by mystery1 View Post
      You can only piss with what you have. Lpc only know what they are told which is good for a well prepared defendant whether they themselves are represented or not.

M1
      True but I would thought that turning up to a hearing with the POC to refer to was pretty basic stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post
        True but I would thought that turning up to a hearing with the POC to refer to was pretty basic stuff.
        Maybe but the documents had been provided, the hearing was about who pays mostly. You should be prepared for all eventualities i suppose as judges can do anything at a hearing but i guess the larger the bundle the more LPC law charge.

M1

Comment

Hi all,

Received letter from court this morning.

It is ordered that

1. The claimant shall file and serve a copy of the statement showing the last payment by the defendant to the accounts by 4pm on 9th May 2014

2. The defendant has permission to file and serve by 4pm on 6th June 2014

3. The claimant shall pay the defendant costs assessed in the sum of £80

Comment

I would not be surprised to see them fold on receipt of that

Comment

Or send a statement with a handy little payment in mid 2008. I guess we shall find out Monday.

HB10 - do you have records of banking going back that far - statements etc - which you could check if they do come up with a random in time payment ?
              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                Or send a statement with a handy little payment in mid 2008. I guess we shall find out Monday.

HB10 - do you have records of banking going back that far - statements etc - which you could check if they do come up with a random in time payment ?
                no records to hand, the account i used to make payments from was closed few years ago...im sure the bank would be able to provide history of that length?

Comment

Okay, well I wouldn't worry, see what, if anything, they come back with, it's only if they did come up with some payment you might need to evidence it wasn;t made (always tricky - but equally if you deny making it they'd have to evidence you DID pay it )
                  #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Hi all,

Received letter from IND today.

They have lodged the following with the court – witness statement and an exhibit – attached 2 documents

They mention they do not have record of last payment to the account. They also claim notice of default was on 11 Jan 2010 – so the 6 year limitation should be from that date.

During the hearing the judge clearly asked for the statement showing last payment - as Mr …….. has not acknowledged the debt. With the last payment showing been made in dec 2006 – judge said that it seems statute barred.

If the judge has clearly asked for ‘statement’ showing last payment – they can not flog it of with some other docs?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Limitation Act
                      6 Special time limit for actions in respect of certain loans.

(1)Subject to subsection (3) below, section 5 of this Act shall not bar the right of action on a contract of loan to which this section applies.

(2)This section applies to any contract of loan which—

(a)does not provide for repayment of the debt on or before a fixed or determinable date; and

(b)does not effectively (whether or not it purports to do so) make the obligation to repay the debt conditional on a demand for repayment made by or on behalf of the creditor or on any other matter;

except where in connection with taking the loan the debtor enters into any collateral obligation to pay the amount of the debt or any part of it (as, for example, by delivering a promissory note as security for the debt) on terms which would exclude the application of this section to the contract of loan if they applied directly to repayment of the debt.

(3)Where a demand in writing for repayment of the debt under a contract of loan to which this section applies is made by or on behalf of the creditor (or, where there are joint creditors, by or on behalf of any one of them) section 5 of this Act shall thereupon apply as if the cause of action to recover the debt had accrued on the date on which the demand was made.

(4)In this section “promissory note” has the same meaning as in the M1Bills of Exchange Act 1882.
                      Which in my book would be a letter telling you you had missed a payment, not the date that the default was entered on the credit file.

You could also counter it that it was unreasonable to have waited 3 years odd before defaulting you.

I think a response Witness Statement will be in order.
                      #staysafestayhome

Comment

Do I read this right? The Judge orders the Claimant to produce proof of Last payment they do no provide this? So to a mere ignoramus like me they have not done what was ordered Claim dismissed or have I miss read the whole case?

Comment

Does anything at all show on your credit file btw ?
                          #staysafestayhome

Comment

They are arguing they don't need to because the limitations act says time barring runs from default notice as opposed to last payment.

They appear to have defaulted the account 3 years after the last payment.
                            #staysafestayhome

Comment

And I'm pretty sure

(2)This section applies to any contract of loan which—

(a)does not provide for repayment of the debt on or before a fixed or determinable date; and
                              (b)does not effectively (whether or not it purports to do so) make the obligation to repay the debt conditional on a demand for repayment made by or on behalf of the creditor or on any other matter;

doesn't mean a credit card...just looking for the terms but I'm pretty certain you were bound to pay by certain dates and if you missed payments then on demand, hence the default notice.
                              #staysafestayhome

Comment

Can't see the terms attached to this thread.

But generaly MBNA terms include ' the minimum payment you MUST pay by the DUE date shown on your statement ' - which is both a ''repay the debt conditional on a demand for repayment made by or on behalf of the creditor '' AND '' repayment of the debt on or before a fixed or determinable date ''
                                #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X