• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Notice of discontinuance but still CCJ

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notice of discontinuance but still CCJ

Hi, this is my first time on the forums. I've had a look around and not yet found anything or anyone in the same situation as me.

In Feb 2011 I had a small car accident in works car park. Everything was being sorted with the insurance companies. Then a few months later without any warning I got a CCJ notice. I contacted the insurance company and they said yeah its procedure.

The guy had had a rental car while his was in for repair and was claiming the cost from me.

The insurance told me not to do anything with the forms just send the whole County court Judgment pack to them, nothing filled in and they will sort everything.

Then a few weeks later I started receiving mail from companies trying to help me due to my recent CCJ. I again rang the insurance company and they told me, there wasn't a CCJ and if there was it would get removed once the case is sorted, the insurance company didn't agree with the costs and they were fighting it.

Ok so I left it as that. The next letter I got was from the claimants solicitor with a copy of Notice of discontinuance dated 15/02/2012.
    I was surprised but thought brill, after a year it's sorted.

Not long after, I got a letter from the insurance saying the case had been closed.

I was re leaved and happy that after a year it was over.

It wasn't till I tried to get a credit card and got refused that i started to query it. After looking on a credit reference site i DO have this CCJ against my name.

So what I'm asking is, If a case gets discontinued surely that means the CCJ is cleared?
    Tags: None

Re: Notice of discontinuance but still CCJ

This is a common occurrence and it is your Ins Co responsibility to sort out. Once granted a CCJ can only be removed by either payment in full within 28/30 days or on a successful Set Aside application. As for the Notice of Discontinuance you need to find out exactly what this was for. Have you checked your Credit History?

Comment

Yes checked my Credit history. This is how I found out the CCJ was showing. The Notice of discontinuance was for the said case and CCJ

Comment

Was the CCJ granted before the NoD issued? if so how long between the dates?

Comment

The date on the credit file was aug 2011
          the discontinuance was Feb 2012

Comment

Originally posted by mrobbo197 View Post
            The date on the credit file was aug 2011
            the discontinuance was Feb 2012
            That will be why. As said in Post 2 "Once granted a CCJ can only be removed by either payment in full within 28/30 days or on a successful Set Aside application." The NoD will probably to discontinue any further action. You need to get back on to your Ins Co and ask they file a Set Aside application for you or if they won't make sure they will pay for you to so - cost of the application is £80 and is done on Form N244 which must be returned to the Court where the CCJ was awarded unless it has already been transferred to your local Court.

Comment

I stand to be corrected, but I think you will have to complete Form N244 to have the CCJ set aside:

http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n244-eng.pdf

(Sorry PT - posts overlapped)

Comment

What numpty thinks that it's ok to file notice of discontinuance AFTER judgement has been entered??? Once judgement has been obtained that's the end of the case (apart from housekeeping and enforcement of course), so it can't therefore be discontinued. It's legally impossible. See the Civil Procedure Rules on discontinuance: http://www.justice.gov.uk/search?&&&...discontinuance
                Your insurance company needs to sort out this mess for one of its customers - you don't pay your premiums to get your credit rating trashed - why not tell them that?

Comment

What appears to have happened here, and it is very much the Insurance Compnay's responsibility to resolve it is a CCJ was awarded. This should have been settled within the 28 days, but wasn't, so the CCJ went onto your CRF. The Notice of Discontinuance sets out the other parties intention not to continue with anything, but this is really irrelevant now, as the CCJ is in situe on your CRF.

The only way now to get this removed is to complete form N244 as mentioned above (your insurance company should pay as it is their fault it has got to this stage). This will officially set aside the judgment and remove it from your CRF.

Comment

Thank you for your replies and help. I shall be ringing the insurance company today. I'm not actually with them this year but will get it sorted. They told me it would be sorted once case closed, obviously not!

Comment

Just finished from my call with the insurance.
                      they were under the impression all this was sorted. Their solicitor was dealing with it. They are now getting in touch with the solicitor and going to get the relevatant forms filled out to get this removed from my CRF

Comment

Excellent!

Comment

Let us know what happens, good to know they are still interested.

Comment

I will let you know. Don't know how long it's going to take, but I just want it off my record. Can't believe it's been sitting there for over a year already.

Comment

You could well be due compensation for this CCJ.

You have been rejected for credit and suffered inconvenience.

Durkin v HFC got 8k :tinysmile_aha_t:

I would write to your insurers to demand compensation for this appalling mix up. Personally I'd ask for compensation in the region of 2k, to get more you would need to file a claim against them.

Take a look at our CRA and Wrongful Default forum for more info.
                              "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X