• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

I got a CCJ

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got a CCJ

Brief Description of the Case

Received a claim form from Northampton County Court on 9th December 2008.
    Received a CCJ on 30th December 2008
    Received Notice of Discontinuance on 11th February 2009
    Received Order to Set Judgement Aside on 5th March 2009

Claimant – CL Finance Limited
    Claimants Solicitors – Howard Cohen & Co Solicitors
    Defendant – ************

Particulars of claim – The Claimant’s claim is for the sum of 1904.25 being monies due from the Defendant to the Claimant under a regulated credit agreement between the Defendant and HSBC Bank plc under reference ************* and assigned to the Claimant on the 28th September 2007 notice of which has been given to the Defendant.

The Defendant has failed to make payment in accordance with the terms of the agreement and a default notice has been served upon the defendant pursuant to Section 87(1) of the Consumer Credit act 1974.

At the time of receiving the claim form I was not aware of the assignment of my debt from HSBC to CL Finance. I spoke with my debt manger at Consumer Credit Counselling Service (CCCS) who were handling my Debt Management Plan (DMP) and making payments through them to HSBC Credit card since May 2003.

CCCS confirmed me that from 28th September 2007 onwards payments have been made to HSBC regularly until December 2008 and provided me a breakdown of payments made to HSBC. CCCS advised me to accept the liability and to send the Admission form to Claimants Solicitors. As

Accordingly completed admission form and sent it to Howard Cohen & Co Solicitors. In the admission form I stated that I was not in arrears at any time as I was paying to HSBC regularly since the assignment of debt and attached a copy of the payment made to HSBC. Howard Cohen & Co did not consider or verified my payments with their client which I assume, and I received a Judgment for Claimant from the courts on 30th December 2008. Since then I started paying according to the judgment to Howard Cohen & Co.

End of January 2009 I was going through my old letters and found three correspondences that I received from CL Finance.

The first one was dated 6th November 2007 stating that the debt has been assigned from HSBC to the claimant together with a confirmation from HSBC 5 weeks after assigning the debt. The letter further states that they are aware that I make payments through a debt management company and I should continue making payments in the same way. For which I obliged.

The second letter was dated 9th January 2008 which states that even though I have received a demand for payment letter (no demand letter was received), they have received payment from me. And it further states that the demand for payment was issued in error as a technical fault and for me to disregard the demand for payment.

The Third letter dated 10th November 2008 with demand for payment stating that no payments have been received.

On receiving these three letters I wrote a letter to HSBC on 26th January 2009 requesting whether they have received payments from CCCS since the assignment of the debt. If they have received payments whether they have transferred it to the CL Finance and to provide me with a breakdown. I did not receive a reply from HSBC and I reported this matter to FSA Ombudsmen. After complaining I received a letter dated 18th March from HSBC confirming that they have sent the payments received from me to CL Finance with a breakdown. It showed that right throughout CL Finance was receiving payments from me through HSBC. On 23rd March 2009 I wrote another letter to HSBC requesting to a copy of Deed of Assignment of Debt, Breakdown of funds transferred to CL Finance with dates and a copy of the Agreement I had with HSBC. They are refusing to send me the Deed of assignment and copy of the Agreement I had with HSBC. They infact sent me an up to date copy of the terms and conditions applicable to my account. Without sending the original copy of the agreement I signed with them. I have referred this to FSA Ombudsman and await their response.

On 13th February I received a letter from Claimants Solcitors (Howard Cohen) confirming that they have served the courts with Claimants notice of discontinuance of proceedings. The reason being the judgment was entered erroneously. On 5th March 2009 I received Order to Set Judgement Aside from courts.

After couple of letters to Howard Cohen, I got a reply from them stating that when they were informed by HSBC regarding the payments I made ( remember after I wrote to HSBC, they did not have the courtesy to reply to me, but passed the information in my letter to Howard Cohen), they filed the notice of discontinuance. I wrote back and told them I provided the payments with my admission form and you could have withdrawn the case at that time. I further wrote to them that they should have obtained proper instructions from their client before harassing me by CCJ’s. Howard Cohen did not return a reply after this. I have given them 2 weeks time to reply and if not I have stated in my letter that I will complain to Solicitors Regulation Authority and take legal actions.

I want to find out the following;
    • Whether I am entitle for any type of compensation for harassment caused by the dishonest court action.
    • Whether the claimant/solicitor conduct is amount to professional negligence.
    • Whether the claimant/solicitors conduct is amount to professional misconduct/misleading, ie. Purported intention to mislead the court.
    • How to obtain a copy of my original credit agreement.

I await your response and if you had similar experience with CL Finance/Howard Cohen please post your reply.

Re: I got a CCJ

The admission and offer to pay you made originally when you received the claim, you detailed payments you had already made on there so was for the remaining debt. Was the judgment an order to pay by installment the amount you had admitted and offered?

The CCJ has been set aside fully now? and removed from your credit file?

Whats your objective now?

Welcome to Beagles
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Re: I got a CCJ

I want to know whether I can take any actions against Howard Cohen for proffessional negligence and/or the way they mislead the courts to obtain the CCJ against me. Big companies like CL finance should be having proper account systems I asumed. Therefore the solicitors cannot say a third party informed that CL got my payments. My argument is they were fully aware from the beginning that I was paying and they were receiving payments. My intention is not to gain financial gain, but to teach this duo not to harrss people like us when they are in a vulnerable situ.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
      X