• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

£1918 PCN Court Claim for not renewing a free parking permit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• £1918 PCN Court Claim for not renewing a free parking permit

Hi all,

Yesterday had the displeasure of getting a court claim letter from Civil National Business Centre (picture attached fig. 7) and trying to figure out my options, I feel really out of my depth on this.

To give a bit of background: Between 2022-2023 I lived in an apartment complex where the resident parking required a parking permit. Initially this permit did not need renewing but after a year the parking management company was changed and everyone needed to re-register on a different system. On this new system you now needed to renew your parking permit every 12 months. I wasn't aware the permit expired for 3 months until I have received letters from DCBL informing me that there are 9 outstanding PCNs. The reason I didn't even get the initial PCNs is that I didn't update the address on my V5C and only did it on my diving licenses so I assume all the letters went to the old address, this meant that I never got a chance to dispute the PCNs as they had already gone to DCBL once I was made aware of them.

As mentioned I don't really know much about the laws and regulations around this but from my perspective I have 2 stronger points of defense:
    1. Each resident is entitled to one parking spot and this is in my tenancy agreement (picture attached fig.1). Wouldn't this take precedence over any "parking contract" you enter into when entering the car park?
    2. There was official communication from the building management that any PCNs issued due to permit expiring will be cancelled (picture attached fig. 2). There were so many people that didn't renew their permit which just shows that the communication and reminders were inadequate or non-existent. There are endless posts on the residents FB page about this company ripping us all off.

Somewhat weaker defense points:
    1. The amount being asked is absurd for something that is a free parking permit. Can I not claim that this is unfair?
    2. No reminders were sent out about permits expiring in the first place despite their portal indicating that they would be. (picture attached fig. 3)
    3. Confusing messaging from customer support about whether permit renewal is required or not. (picture attached fig. 4)
    4. BaySentry, the company managing the parking lists an invalid email address on their website where they state disputes should be sent to. (picture attached fig. 5)

I have also attached the letter of claim from DCBL (fig. 6)

Additional questions:
    How badly could this affect my credit score if I fight this and lose my defense?
    Any recommendations on who I could contact to get legal advice? Is this even a good idea, or will I just sink more money into this and end up having to pay anyways?

This whole situation is seriously depressing, the fact the residents pay this company to manage the parking so we, the residents, can park without issues to then by "fined" by the same company is seriously twisted and it boggles my mind how this is allowed. Any guidance on this would be very appreciated!
    Tags: None

For starters acknowledge the claim but do not enter a defence at this stage.
    then send a CPR31.14 request to DCBL and a Subject Access Request to Baysentry (templates which need amending for your situation are in the SHORTCUTS panel on the right of this page)
    Do not identify the driver when writing to them (or on here in later posts)

Is that posted snippet the only paragraph in your lease which refers to parking ?

When you get replies 9or a week before your defence is due in) post them up, together with any signs at the location

Comment

Thanks for your help!

Yes the only other bit is this:

4.6.2 Return all keys, access devices, remotes and parking permits to the Property on the last day of
      possession (or sooner by mutual arrangement).

I might have some pictures of signs at the location from about a year ago, not sure if I can find them. Or would it be better to take some pictures of the signs now?

Comment

the signs at the time of the incidents would be better, but only if they are fully legible (that includes the small writing!).
        If you can't find the originals you should obtain them anyway as a result of your CPR 31.14 request

Comment

Thank you! I have found some pictures which have all the details but are a few months after the incidents happened.

I'm just working on the CPR request and the last paragraph mentions a CCA request, is this a third letter I should be sending to BaySentry?
          1. SAR to BaySentry
          2. CCA request to BaySentry
          3. CPR request to DCBL

Is that correct?

Comment

No need to send CCA request as this is not a "Consumer Credit Act" matter

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X