• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

MCOL claim from Lowell/Overdales

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MCOL claim from Lowell/Overdales

Received a claim? Yes
    Issue Date: 06/08/2024 @ CNBC Northampton
    Have you Acknowledged the Claim?: Yes (21/08/2024)
    Total Amount Claimed : £1900-2000
    Claimant’s Name: Lowell Portfolio I Ltd
    Solicitors Firm: Overdales Solicitors
    Original Creditor: Capital One
    Original Debt (eg. Credit card/Loan/Overdraft) : Credit Card
    Particulars of Claim:
    The claim is for the sum of £18xx.xx due by the Defendant under an agreement regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974 for a Capital One account with an account reference of [REDACTED]
    The Defendant failed to maintain contractual payments required by the agreement and a Default Notice was served under s.87(1) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 which has not been complied with.
    The debt was legally assigned to the claimant on [REDACTED], notice of which has been given to the defendant.
    The claim includes statutory interest under S.69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at a rate of 8% per annum from the date of assignment to the date of these proceedings in the sum of £xx.xx
    The Claimant claims the sum of £19xx.xx
    Is the debt Statute Barred (have you had any contact with the creditor or claimant over the last 6 years?): No
    List any letters you have sent (eg: CCA/ CPR ):
    Any Other Information or Background Details:

I have prepared CCA and CPR31 requests to send later this week. What is my deadline for the defence? 10/09/24, I think?
    Tags: None

Over the weekend, I put through an application for CPR31.14, and submitted the following defence:

1. The Defendant received the Claim Form, reference [REDACTED], from the Civil National Business Centre at Northampton County Court on 12 August 2024.
    2. Each and every allegation in the Claimant’s Statement of Case is not admitted unless specifically admitted in this Defence.
    3. This claim appears to be for a Credit Card Agreement regulated under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (c.39) – hereafter CCA.
    4. It is not admitted that the Defendant has previously entered into an agreement with Capital One for provision of credit.
    5. The Claimant’s Statement of Case fails to give adequate information to enable the Defendant to properly assess his position with regards the claim.
    6. The Claimant’s Particulars of Claim state an Agreement was entered into, but otherwise provide no further information about said Agreement.
    7. The Claimant’s Statement of Case states that the account was assigned from Capital One to the Claimant, but do not state when this happened. The Defendant does not recall receiving notice of this assignment.
    8. It is not admitted that Capital One served any Default Notice on the Defendant pursuant to s.87 CCA. The Claimant is required to prove that a compliant Default Notice was served upon the Defendant. The Claimant is required to prove that the any Default notice relied upon complied with the requirements of s.88(4A) CCA, and that the notice was in the prescribed form as required by The Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1983 (No. 1561).
    9. On 23 August 2024 the Defendant sent a formal request for a copy of the original Agreement to Claimant pursuant to s.78 CCA, along with the statutory £1 fee.
    10. The Claimant has so far failed to comply with s.78(1) CCA, and, should that failure persist, by virtue of s.78(6) will be unable to enforce the Agreement.
    11. On 23 August 2024, Defendant sent a request for inspection of documents mentioned in the Claimant’s Statement of Case under CPR 31.14 to the Claimant’s solicitor. The Defendant requested the Claimant provide copies of the Agreement, Default Notice, and Deed and Notice of Assignment.
    12. These documents have not been received by the Defendant, neither from Claimant nor their solicitor.
    13. In the same request, the Defendant has asked the Claimant if the parties may agree to extend the time period allowed for filing of the Defence pending receipt of documents (as allowed under CPR 15.5), but they have not responded to this request.
    14. CPR 16.5(4) provides that
    Where the claim includes a money claim, the claimant must prove any allegation relating to the amount of money claimed, unless the defendant expressly admits the allegation.
    Therefore, it is expected that the Claimant be required to prove the allegation that the money is owed as claimed.
    15. The Defendant respectfully requests the Court order the Claimants to provide the necessary documentation in order for the Defendant to fully plead his case else the Claim should stand struck out. An Application to this effect with a draft order was submitted on 7 September 2024.
    16. In the event that the relevant documents are received from the Claimant, the Defendant will then be in a position to amend his Defence, and would ask that the Claimants bear the costs of the amendment.
    17. It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief as claimed or at all.
    I realised slightly too late that paragrah 7 contains a few words it shouldn't. Do I need to worry about that?

Comment

Also, while that was sent over the weekend (I imagine the court will treat it as received on Monday), I came home on Monday evening to the attached (read in numerical order). It seems (01) they don't want to tell me exactly how much they paid for the account. Which is a shame, because while I'd like to win, realistically I'd need a backup plan, and that had been to hopefully start the bidding at cost plus the claim fees, because I'm barely managing as things are.

Still, it's nice that they thought to send me two assignment letters. The one from Capital One (03) looks a bit ugly, but I assume that's because it's missing all the original formatting. I'm guessing that the latter is Deadline for receiving the CCA response would be either yesterday or today.
      Attached Files

Comment

No 7. should be fine, do you mean the following? 'but do not state when this happened'

No.13 shouldn't of been included, but don't worry about it, no doubt they'll come back with some nonsense.

Update when you get a response.

Any offers you make to settle the debt, make sure you write 'Without Prejudice' on the Offer letter.

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post
          No 7. should be fine, do you mean the following? 'but do not state when this happened'
          Yup. To give them their credit, this one did actually state the date of assignment in the PoC. [facepalm]

Comment

Originally posted by foobar View Post

Yup. To give them their credit, this one did actually state the date of assignment in the PoC. [facepalm]
            Don't worry about it, a minor error.

A big issue would be failing to lodge a defence in time, to your credit, you've got it in.
            You start having some control over the process. They'll point out the anomalies in your defence (claimants and defendants make all sorts of error, so don't dwell on that).

Comment

They paid pennies for the debt, so start with low amounts 5 - 10%.

Some info - https://nationaldebtline.org/get-inf...ent-offers-ew/

Personalize the following, remove the first line - https://nationaldebtline.org/get-inf...tlement-offer/

Make sure you get Proof of Postage.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X