• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Commercial tenant claim received from landlords electrician

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commercial tenant claim received from landlords electrician

Background:

I’m a commercial tenant of a shop, the landlord has tenants in a flat above.

About 7 months ago the landlord instructed a company to carry out some upgrade work in the building. Some electrical stuff was installed which is shared by myself and their residential tenants above. According to my lease, costs in relation to shared service media should be calculated based on a fair proportion determined by the percentage of the building occupy. I occupy about 50% of the building.

Prior to the work commencing the company sent an estimate/ breakdown of costs to myself and the managing agents. The managing agents asked the company to decide the allocation of costs without informing them of details of how this should be done. The company allocated only 10% of the costs to the landlord and the remaining 90% of the costs to my business - around £400 to the landlord and around £4000 to my business. I raised a query about this with the landlords agents and pointed out that I was being charged 90% of the cost which was incorrect based on the terms of my lease. At first my query was ignored. I chased the managing agents and they kept dodging my calls/ignoring my messages. I sent them pages from my lease which specifies the instruction. When I took on the property I had a solicitor negotiate this lease and they were explicit when explaining every aspect of it.

Due to scheduling constraints the work had to be carried out quite quickly and was carried out despite me disputing that I am liable for majority of the cost. Once the work was completed I was sent a final invoice still with me being charged 90% of the costs. I told the company that as I had pointed out prior to the work commencing, the amount allocated to my business was incorrect. I asked them to contact the managing agents for the correct calculations. The company started levelling all sorts of accusations at me claiming I did not want to pay, that I was dodgy that they did me an favour annd was ungrateful etc. I have always been willing to pay (what I owe), I know under the terms of my lease that I am required to make a contribution to certain repair and upgrade costs and don’t dispute that. They refused to go back to agents because they said they did not want to interfere with landlord/tenant disputes. This company has worked with my landlord for years and gets good business from them, they are reluctant to rock the boat in that regard. The company requested that I pay them the amount they requested and deduct the excess from my rent, without a written agreement from my landlord I fear this would put me in breach of my lease covenants.

Current situation

As I mentioned this has been going on for about 7 months. I have now received a Money claims from the company for the disputed invoice and I’m unsure of how to proceed. No letter before action letter was sent. I acknowledge that I do owe a debt but I dispute what I have been charged on the invoice by this company. Is this a case I can defend? From what I’ve read in the forum I can file an acknowledgement of service which would give me a further 14 days to get my head around things.

Tags: None

Does anyone have suggestions who I can contact for small claims legal advice?

Comment

Have you already paid 50%?

Comment

Hi no I haven’t paid 50% yet I had made this offer to them about 2 months ago and they rejected it claiming they wanted the full amount.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X