• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Court - Non protection of rent deposit-time barred-multiple tenancy-Letter of claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Court - Non protection of rent deposit-time barred-multiple tenancy-Letter of claim

Hi, Briefly - No win no fee solicitor claiming for 5 agreements - Non protection of rent deposit over 6 years ago.

Was claiming for all 5 tenancy x 3 times the deposit value

I cannot deny the non protection - i dont have any documents that far back.

There were 5 consecutive agreements:

First AST 11.12.17 to 10.06.18 (6 months)

Second AST 11.06.18 to 10.09.18 (3 months)

Third AST 11.09.18 to 10.03.19 (6 months)

Fourth AST 11.03.19 to 10.07.19 (4 months)

Fifth AST 11.07.19 to 16.11.19 (4 months)

I believe the first one is time barred.

Q. is this correct.

Q. What can I you do to fight the other multiple agreements?

I have been given an offer to accept of 4 x deposit plus agreed costs.

Q. What should i do regards this.

I have disputed ever receiving The letter of claim.

I have asked for proof of posting - the claimant solicitor has said there does not need to be one, they frank letters thats all.
    He says he sent follow ups to an email address that i do not use - given from the old tenant.
    He has not used any tracking of the emails so there is no proof that these emails were read which they were not.

I have a very arrogant email confirming this from the solicitor But dismissing this as to it wont make a difference to the claim.

So my next request is - because of this lack of procedure

Q - can i fight or gain anything because of this.

Has had initial hearing - I now need to write a witness statement aswell for a disposal hearing.

Any help much appreciated.

Tags: None

Are these successive agreements with the same tenant?

Was the deposit the same, or was new/further money paid each time?

What happened after November 2019? Was the deposit returned?
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
      Are these successive agreements with the same tenant?

Was the deposit the same, or was new/further money paid each time?

What happened after November 2019? Was the deposit returned?
      Thanks for your reply!

Yes successive agreements.
      deposit was the same.
      I returned the deposit

Comment

Thanks. My reaction is that in the circumstances you describe there should only be the one claim, for which the court can award between one and three times the amount of the deposit as compensation.

But I may be wrong, in which case you face at least 4 claims (I agree that the first one appears to be time-barred).

Setling for 4 x the deposit gives you certainty and finality.

And in future, pay deposits into a recognised protection scheme, as well as making sure you comply with all the other requirements for landlords at the start of an AST.

Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thanks for the reply.
          Is the solicitor right in saying he does not need proof of sending the claim letter?

Can I use the fact the solicitor says he has no proof of sending the claim letter and he says he sent an email to an old address .

As far as I know he should have used tracking on the email to confirm it had been read.
          My feelings are the no win no fee solicitor just wanted to go to court.

Ps I made a part 36 offer for 2 months the amount when I received the court part 8.

Again any direction on these points would help.

Comment

Which track has this case been allocated to?

Comment

I don’t think it has yet, will that be confirmed at the disposal hearing?

Comment

Are you sure? Have another look at the directions orders made by the court.

Comment

I have the claim form part 8.
                  Notice of hearing - which I have had by telephone.
                  The claimants solicitor made draft directions says witness statement to be in by 17/7/24
                  The part 8 claim is lsited for disposal hearing for after 17/7/24

I have not had anything from the court regarding date of disposal hearing.

Should it be in any of these?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                  See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                  X