• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Am i too late to reply to court claim ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am i too late to reply to court claim ?

Hi, I am really scared. I have received a court claim but only just opened it. It's dated 14th June. I don't know what to do. Please can someone advise? The claimant is Lowells and solicitors Overdales. I do owe the money for a credit card. I took it out in 2012 defaulted in 2013 and last made a small token payment in 2021. Can I just come to a payment arrangement with them or is it too late now ?
    Tags: None

It is never too late to do that.

If you do not file your acknowledgement of service NOW a CCJ will be entered against you.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Ok thank you so i just log on and accept it and offer a payment plan ?

Comment

Originally posted by buryheadsand View Post
        Ok thank you so i just log on and accept it and offer a payment plan ?
        https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...ledge-a-claim/

Comment

thank you I have logged on and done the acknowledgement. Can i now just set up an account with overdales and do a payment plan or do i send the form back to them with what i propose ?

Comment

Email Lowell and Overdales, send them an Income and Expenditure form, take into account the cost of living crisis, give yourself a buffer just in case things get worse.

Take into account i.e. energy, food etc. It's a non priority debt. A court will only ever ask you to pay what you can afford each month, so if that's £1 so be it.

https://nedcab.cabmoney.org.uk/

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/de...itor---letter/

Comment

Thank you I have done that. do I need to do anything with the court now or just wait back to hear from the email ? Just had an automated response to say they have high volumes and may take up to 10 days to respond and if it is urgent to phone them.
              Last edited by buryheadsand; 1st July 2024, 14:13:PM.

Comment

Thank you I have done that. do I need to do anything with the court now or just wait back to hear from the email ? Just had an automated response to say they have high volumes and may take up to 10 days to respond and if it is urgent to phone them.
                I would phone them but limit what you say to them, i.e. Court Claim Ref No. XXXXXX, that you've responded via email to set up a payment plan. Maybe email the Court with the same. That way it's noted on their systems.

Comment

Oh no. I have just realised that I sent Lowell a request last year back in July and they said they had put the account on hold. I heard no more after that so totally forgot about it. Does this change things ? Or have i messed things up now ?

Comment

If they couldn't provide the documentation back then does that mean they have no case in court or is that not how it works ? I suppose by me offering a payment I have messed up any defence anyway ?

Comment

Oh no. I have just realised that I sent Lowell a request last year back in July and they said they had put the account on hold. I heard no more after that so totally forgot about it. Does this change things ? Or have i messed things up now ?
                      In your initially post you've stated that you want to continue making payments, in that since the advice hasn't changed and has no relevance. Do as previously advised.

Comment

If they couldn't provide the documentation back then does that mean they have no case in court or is that not how it works ? I suppose by me offering a payment I have messed up any defence anyway ?
                        Correct, until they produce the documentation the account is 'unenforceable' and would of helped with Defending the claim. In your initial post you stated two things, 'I do owe the money for a credit card. Can I just come to a payment arrangement with them or is it too late now ?'

Comment

Thank you for the replies and continued advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                          X