• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council Tax Liability Claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council Tax Liability Claim

I've got a council tax liability order,

I've tried to present that I cannot afford it in these circumstances, there is no money and I'm trying to support my family of 6.

I need to appeal the liability order could I get some guidance please,

Thanks
    Tags: None

echat11

Comment

I doubt you can unless it is wrong. You can make an offer to the council I assume to pay back the arrears and ongoing council tax. Have you been to see them?

Comment

atticus

Comment

Did you apply to the council for a Council Tax Reduction before you found you could not afford the council tax?
          Individual councils run their own schemes and can take factors such as income, disability, number of children into account
          You should contact your council urgently to try to agree an arrangement for payments that you can afford
          The council tax liability order is a priority debt and should be paid before credit card debt
          The council can send bailiffs, so act quickly

Comment

There are only two reasons which allow you to Appeal a Liability Order:

a) Case stated on a point of law (you must submit within 21 days via the Magistrates Court)Judicial review (within 3 months)

b) Judicial review (within 3 months)

Fill in an income and expenditure form.

https://nedcab.cabmoney.org.uk/

You can amend the following:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/de...tors---letter/

What I would do is fill in an Income and Expenditure form, write a covering letter, explain your circumstances, 6 children, health etc. In the Income and Expenditure form take into account the 'cost of living', energy, food etc. Give yourself a 'buffer'. email it to the Council and the Welfare Officer at the Council. Also give CAB a ring.

Comment

Hust9876 while it is very kind of you to tag me, this is an area of which I have no knowledge or experience.
              Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post
                There are only two reasons which allow you to Appeal a Liability Order:

a) Case stated on a point of law (you must submit within 21 days via the Magistrates Court)Judicial review (within 3 months)

b) Judicial review (within 3 months)

Fill in an income and expenditure form.

https://nedcab.cabmoney.org.uk/

You can amend the following:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/de...tors---letter/

What I would do is fill in an Income and Expenditure form, write a covering letter, explain your circumstances, 6 children, health etc. In the Income and Expenditure form take into account the 'cost of living', energy, food etc. Give yourself a 'buffer'. email it to the Council and the Welfare Officer at the Council. Also give CAB a ring.
                echat11

thank you for earlier response ; your urgent guidance is needed

have had 2 council tax liability orders given out despite explain to the magistrate that kids under 10 and preg wife and only uc pays and i have no income

the orders 5 jun was for past 3 months council tax and on 9 jun was for comming year council tax .

i have give them the income and expense statement offering to pay 5 a month late last week that i can not afford to pay anymore i am looking for a job

i handed to the court letter under section 13A on the day of the hearing *handed to the usher who said they will not give confirmation or reciept"

they still issue the libility order

the council has passed onto the enforcement equita agents without any communication with me.

got a txt this morning that case is due to be booked out from 07 jul 5:30 pm

i am extremely stressed out to the poiint that i can not function or even look for a job.

i paid council tax till the last point that i could afford without compromising the kids going hungary

i am looking at filing a judicial review but the pre action letter does not seem to stop them or does it ?

i know i need to file for stay of enforcement action so can i skip the pre action letter

i am only on UC so will fill ex160 with judical review and stay from enforcement action

Comment

sent on 19 june

https://nationaldebtline.org/get-inf...ouncil-tax-ew/
                  with the wording

If you do not accept this application, please take this letter as notice of appeal to the Valuation Tribunal for England under section 16 of the Local Government Finance Act 1992.

does this count towards pre action

@echat11

Comment

You say you handed the court a letter. Why did you not speak to the council in the corridor and appear before the magistrates? The order for the coming year would have been looked at (and possibly cancelled) and a payment plan discussed (if it had been in my court). There is no guarantee the mags saw the letter.

Comment

This is something you can't do alone - you need to visit your local CAB office, write a summary of all the events, take that with you. CAB can contact the Council on your behalf. Call them to make sure they can see you.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/ab...us/contact-us/

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                      X