• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

County Court claim for Statute Barred debt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a) Any idea on how successful these defences are?

Your defence is that the claim is statute barred, that's a fairly straight forward.

b) Any tricks I should be on the look out for? I fear that collection companies aren't beyond making false allegations/claims?

Once they receive your defence, they have 28 days to respond to your defence, facts are facts, so they would be foolish to try anything.

c) Everything I've said is true, but is there anything they could do to make it difficult for me to prove?

As above.

Comment

I think I'm ready to submit my defence, I'm just unsure about a couple of points.

Should I be including -

5.The Claimants statement of case fails to give adequate information to enable me to properly assess my position with regards the claim.

They haven't mentioned when the default happened in the particulars of the claim, but is it my responsibility to have kept records?

And also -

9.It is denied that HSBC Bank served any Default notice on the Defendant pursuant to s87 Consumer Credit Act 1974. The Claimant is required to prove that a compliant Default Notice was served upon the Defendant. The Claimant is required to prove that the any Default notice relied upon complied with the requirements of s88(4A) Consumer Credit Act 1974 and that the notice was in the prescribed form as required by The Consumer Credit Enforcement Default and Termination Notice Regulations 1983.

I do remember having a default on my file that dropped off years ago, but I don't remember when, or if it was for this debt because I had other defaults, I was going through a dark time after leaving the Army and going to uni with undiagnosed mental health issues so my finances collapsed.

I really want to defend this as I can't afford to pay it and I also feel Lowell and Overdales are predatory and don't deserve to be making profits from vulnerable people.

Sorry for all the questions and thanks again for all the help.

Comment

I've also just realised I haven't sent the 3 letters, does this prevent me from making my defence to the court? I believe I have 10 days left to submit my defence.

I printed out the letters, but I've been working away doing 12-15hr days (I'm a truck driver) also dealing with twins starting school and trying to get support for their Autism/ADHD. So I'm juggling quite a bit right now and it completely slipped my mind.
        Last edited by Warchilo; 29th April 2024, 21:20:PM. Reason: Added second paragraph

Comment

Originally posted by Warchilo View Post
          I've also just realised I haven't sent the 3 letters, does this prevent me from making my defence to the court? I believe I have 10 days left to submit my defence.

I printed out the letters, but I've been working away doing 12-15hr days (I'm a truck driver) also dealing with twins starting school and trying to get support for their Autism/ADHD. So I'm juggling quite a bit right now and it completely slipped my mind.
          As long as you are sure it's statute barred, you don't need to send them.

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post

You need to send the letters, they are actions you've told the Court you've done, they provide valuable information / evidence regards your case.
            Is it too late to send them now?

Comment

I think I'm ready to submit my defence, I'm just unsure about a couple of points.

Should I be including -

5.The Claimants statement of case fails to give adequate information to enable me to properly assess my position with regards the claim.

They haven't mentioned when the default happened in the particulars of the claim, but is it my responsibility to have kept records?

And also -

9.It is denied that HSBC Bank served any Default notice on the Defendant pursuant to s87 Consumer Credit Act 1974. The Claimant is required to prove that a compliant Default Notice was served upon the Defendant. The Claimant is required to prove that the any Default notice relied upon complied with the requirements of s88(4A) Consumer Credit Act 1974 and that the notice was in the prescribed form as required by The Consumer Credit Enforcement Default and Termination Notice Regulations 1983.

I do remember having a default on my file that dropped off years ago, but I don't remember when, or if it was for this debt because I had other defaults, I was going through a dark time after leaving the Army and going to uni with undiagnosed mental health issues so my finances collapsed.

I really want to defend this as I can't afford to pay it and I also feel Lowell and Overdales are predatory and don't deserve to be making profits from vulnerable people.

Sorry for all the questions and thanks again for all the help.
              a) 5.The Claimants statement of case fails to give adequate information to enable me to properly assess my position with regards the claim.

I think you should include it, because you are responding to their Statement of Case, they should have records of when the default was issued, the fact they haven't is worrying.

And also -

b) 9.It is denied that HSBC Bank served any Default notice on the Defendant pursuant to s87 Consumer Credit Act 1974. The Claimant is required to prove that a compliant Default Notice was served upon the Defendant. The Claimant is required to prove that the any Default notice relied upon complied with the requirements of s88(4A) Consumer Credit Act 1974 and that the notice was in the prescribed form as required by The Consumer Credit Enforcement Default and Termination Notice Regulations 1983.

The important word in point 9 is 'served', did they send out a 'default notice' and did you receive it.
              Yes, you might remember a 'default' being on your Credit File, but were the correct processes followed to put it on your Credit File. What if they didn't send one out, but marked your credit file anyway?

It's up to you if you want to keep them in or not.
              (Most of the time members ask lots of questions when they know what they are doing)

Comment

Is it too late to send them now?
                Just bumping this last question

Comment

Just bumping this last question
                  Post 19.

Comment

So I've posted my defence,

Any idea how long I will have to wait to for the outcome?

Does the claimant have a time limit to respond?

Thanks again.

Comment

So I've posted my defence,

Any idea how long I will have to wait to for the outcome?

Does the claimant have a time limit to respond?

Thanks again.
                      The claimant has 28 days to respond to your Defence.

Comment

So I've now been sent a Directions questionnaire from the court.

Does it mean I need to prove the claim is statute barred or is it the claimants responsibility? (I'm 100% certain it's statute barred but don't have any documents)

Any advice on completing this?

Should I agree to the case being referred to the mediations service?

Thanks again for any help.

Comment

a) Does it mean I need to prove the claim is statute barred or is it the claimants responsibility? (I'm 100% certain it's statute barred but don't have any documents)

You need to prove it is, if you can, they'll need to prove you made a payment or acknowledged the debt.

b) Any advice on completing this?

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...uestionnaire//

c) Should I agree to the case being referred to the mediations service?

Yes you want Mediation, providing they provide all the requested documentation.
                          You can write that on the form.

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post
                            a) Does it mean I need to prove the claim is statute barred or is it the claimants responsibility? (I'm 100% certain it's statute barred but don't have any documents)

You need to prove it is, if you can, they'll need to prove you made a payment or acknowledged the debt.

b) Any advice on completing this?

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...uestionnaire//

c) Should I agree to the case being referred to the mediations service?

Yes you want Mediation, providing they provide all the requested documentation.
                            You can write that on the form.
                            Thank you,

Is it too late for me to request the documentation from them?

What kind of proof would I need to show that it's statute barred?
                            Last edited by Warchilo; 1st July 2024, 21:26:PM.

Comment

Thank you,

Is it too late for me to request the documentation from them?

What kind of proof would I need to show that it's statute barred?
                              a) Send a SAR request to HSBC Bank, they have 30 days to provide all the data they hold on the account. Make sure you get Proof of Postage.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...ccess-request/

b) Send a CPR 31.14 request to Overdales, they will provide all the documents they are relying on to make the claim against you, again get Proof of Postage.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...-of-documents/

Bank statements would prove that no payments had been made, the SAR might provide further proof, i.e. notes on your account, i.e. communications with the Creditor.

Comment

I'm just going through and editing the CPR 31.14 now.

It has this paragraph -

To enable me to file my defence and/or counterclaim, I require inspection of documents you mention in your statement of case ahead of filing my defence on xx/xx/xxxx.

However I have already filed my defence, should I modify the paragraph?

Thanks.

Edit - Apologies for all the questions. I have poor mental health, I'm trying to juggle a full time job with twin toddlers so I'm struggling to grasp all the details and keep on top of things.
                                Last edited by Warchilo; 1st July 2024, 22:07:PM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X